Yikes!!! I thought it was all BS!

I owe everyone an apology. For years I have been reading about what a difference tubes makes, especially with Klipsch speakers--among others. Well, I couldn't figure out how they could be much better. Boy, was I ever wrong! I purchased my first tube amp recently, a vintage Sansui 1000. I just had it completely gone over. I just listened to Dire Straits "Across the River" and I was almost reduced to tears. I have been cheating my '64 Khorns and '70 Cornwalls. The highs!!! The lows!!! and everything in between. The sounds I just heard were unbelievable! I heard sounds I have never heard before from my SS amp. I couldn't take it off 2 on the volume, without the loudness on, for fear I would get arrested. I would write more but I need to get back and hear more. Paul Klipsch was right.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats....I thought the 1000 was a receiver,not just an amp? With superior pre-amplification anything any amp will sound better.You could plug the thing into(if possible) an ss amp and I'm sure it would still sound great.Also,Brothers in Arms is a fabulous recording,I have it on dvd-a and it can bring tears on ss too.

As my 4 year old used to say, I have to igmit it. The tube sound is just so much more enjoyable than the SS. I just received Craig's stereo amp, biased it, and haven't stopped listening for hours.

" The highs!!! The lows!!! and everything in between. The sounds I just heard were unbelievable! I heard sounds I have never heard before from my SS amp." What he said!

I used to get ringing in my ears or earaches or headaches after extended listening with my McIntosh MA5100. Now I know what "non-fatigueing" means. I could listen for days. The drums snap. The kick drums kick, the midrange and vocals are sooo smooth and detailed and the highs are just right, not edgy like SS. Loud doesn't seem loud.

Because I have no preamp, I'm only using itunes for a preamp and playing mp3's and CD's on the computers drive. I can only imagine the improvement when the Bluberry gets here.

I'm finally learning in my old age to listen to others. Should've started years ago.

IMO, there are plenty of excellent high-end SS power amps from Krell, Mark Levinson, Jeff Rowland, McIntosh, B&K, Pass Labs, et al that'll still make Klipsch shine. But I have to admit there is that special sort of "air" and presence that seems to give Klipsch a bit more life-like presentation with all types of vacuum tube amplifier configurations...at least to my ears. And overall soundscape can change even more when you're tube rolling (YMMV, natch).

You've gone over to the dark side.

TO me it is the bright side. Never seen an SS amp light up a room at night.

With all these converts I am not aware of a single Klipsch employee using tubes. Not a risk taker in the bunch.[;)]

I'm working on it, but I'm new here. Can't rock the boat.

Mark Kauffman has a set of is Cayene tube CD/Integrated running the 60th anniversary Khorns right now.