Best amp to use with Klipschorns?

r2473

I tried to search the forum. I am sure this topic has been discussed, but I did not find a thread. My K-horns are from 1978 and have the AA crossover. They will be placed in a room approx. 24' X 18' with 8 foot ceilings. My main source is a Linn LP12. I mainly listen to clasical (concerti, symphonies, quartets), but also listen to classic rock sometimes. I would like to get an integrated, but am open to seperates. I have a phono preamp that I like (Hagerman Coronet 2).

My leading candidate for solid state is an Accuphase E-530 or E-550.

My leading candidate for tubes is Audio Note 2A3 based tube amp; Kit 1. See link below.

http://www.audionotekits.com/kit1.html

I believe either of these can be had for around $2,000. Which would be better / best? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I find my Welborne DRD45 amp to be the most pleasing amp on my Khorns. I also own Welborne 2A3 Moondogs which are a Close 2nd. And then a Plethora of other Amps I have which are far below the 2 SET amps I mentioned. They are the Cary AE-25 Push-Pull Super Amp and a variety of Solid State Amps.

So my Answer is a 45 SET amp, until I hear something better.

Unless you really want to build your own kit Check out Wright Sound. Out standing value for the dollar, I have listen to far more expensive equipment that does not compare. George has it all Integrated amps to SET to PP. If your are into phono he has the WPP200C that replaced my Manley Steelhead.

I have an Accuphase E-530 on modified 2004 Khorns and you'll not be disappointed.  Ask Max G., the Accuphase solid state is ideal for the big horns.  I sit today and listen to 40's and 50's vocals.  Doris Day like she was sitting in the next room crooning her heart away.  Seriously excellent reproduction and not cheap either.

I have an Accuphase E-530 on modified 2004 Khorns and you'll not be disappointed.  Ask Max G., the Accuphase solid state is ideal for the big horns.  I sit today and listen to 40's and 50's vocals.  Doris Day like she was sitting in the next room crooning her heart away.  Seriously excellent reproduction and not cheap either.

CD or vinyl?

I've got an Almarro A318A 18 WPC integrated tube amp. I have listened to it on Heresys, LaScalas and K-horns. It is a very nice amp. I think it would set you back around $1500.00, maybe a little more. Their customer service is second to none. 5 year warranty. No phono stage though.

http://www.almarro.com/

I second Pete's opinion. That thing is a beauty. If it sounds as good as it looks, it's a bargain.

It sounds very nice, in the master bedroom, bath area, (lower volume levels). My VRD's sound equally as nice in triode mode, in the big room. The VRD's also have the UL switch for when you want to rock out and have plenty of head room. The VRD's have never run out of juice and, if you run them to clipping you are crankin out some serious Db's.

If you're going with low power, I may as well toss SE-OTL's into the mix too

http://transcendentsound.com/single%20ended.htm

I've had the Wright 2A3's, the SE-OTL's (in fact, I bought them from DaddyDee) and the wife and I both ended up preferring the OTL's over the 2A3's however, they were not that far apart.

I had two of them and bridged them to a massive 4 watts/monoblock

CD or vinyl?

Actually yesterdays fare came from cable radio.  I run a Sony ES777 SACD player as my only source.

Ahh, this is the age-old question.

In spite of what others say, tube amps are not the only amps in town.

Some have suggested Class A solid state, unfortunately the Accuphase is quite expensive.

There are more reasonable alternatives for Class A. For example, the Monarchy SM70 series could be an option. Currently you can buy them new from the factory at 50% off (50% of $980). Of course, used prices are even better and they regularly come up for sale. A few years ago, there was some commotion on this forum about how great they sounded. You may want to review those threads. Keep in mind, I have not listened to the Monarchy, I am merely reciting what others have said. I may try them in a bi-amped configuration with Jubilees, but that is in the future and I am leery of spending money on something that I have not heard for myself on my system.

When all is said and done, the K-Horns are high efficiency and do not present a terribly low impedance to the amp. So mega-power is not an issue, high current is not an issue; however, a clean sound at low levels (and with no noise, hiss or hum) is the difficult issue. As an alternative, a solid state amp that is A/B may be biased for A for the first couple of watts. This gives many advantages. The spec is hard to come by but I beleive that Parasound and Crown (and others) will specify this.

Good luck,

-Tom

I tried to search the forum. I am sure this topic has been discussed, but I did not find a thread. My K-horns are from 1978 and have the AA crossover. They will be placed in a room approx. 24' X 18' with 8 foot ceilings. My main source is a Linn LP12. I mainly listen to clasical (concerti, symphonies, quartets), but also listen to classic rock sometimes. I would like to get an integrated, but am open to seperates. I have a phono preamp that I like (Hagerman Coronet 2).

My leading candidate for tubes is Audio Note 2A3 based tube amp; Kit 1. See link below.

I believe either of these can be had for around $2,000. Which would be better / best? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Before any amp swithing or buying process I would get all new caps in the networks.

My 1978 Belles are amazingly more musical with new caps. I have the old networks and most likely will never use them again.

Accuphase owners seem to like them with a near religious fervor. A worthy consideration. I have never heard them.

For my room size and desired listening level, 2A3 is not enough power. I does work for many others here.

Ahh, this is the age-old question.

In spite of what others say, tube amps are not the only amps in town.

Some have suggested Class A solid state, unfortunately the Accuphase is quite expensive.

There are more reasonable alternatives for Class A. For example, the Monarchy SM70 series could be an option. Currently you can buy them new from the factory at 50% off (50% of $980). Of course, used prices are even better and they regularly come up for sale. A few years ago, there was some commotion on this forum about how great they sounded. You may want to review those threads. Keep in mind, I have not listened to the Monarchy, I am merely reciting what others have said. I may try them in a bi-amped configuration with Jubilees, but that is in the future and I am leery of spending money on something that I have not heard for myself on my system.

When all is said and done, the K-Horns are high efficiency and do not present a terribly low impedance to the amp. So mega-power is not an issue, high current is not an issue; however, a clean sound at low levels (and with no noise, hiss or hum) is the difficult issue. As an alternative, a solid state amp that is A/B may be biased for A for the first couple of watts. This gives many advantages. The spec is hard to come by but I beleive that Parasound and Crown (and others) will specify this.

Good luck,

-Tom

2470, my suggestion is to audition the Monarchys first if you are interested before the purchase. Many people rave about them, but I have heard them on various large Heritage a number of times and was not that impressed. Maybe they were just not my cup of tea. You may love the amp(s), but see if you can listen first.

Carl.

I have never heard this Audio Note amplifier but have heard a number of the speakers they offer and one of the other amplifiers they sell in the $4k range. Audio Note is some top notch gear. I like the fact that the amp will allow you too configure and try 300B or 2A3's. If SET is the route you think you would like to try and your willing to solder I would say give this a close look.

Craig