Speaker Cable

joeboo6113

people use everything here from ZipCord (lamp cord) to the expensive stuff...I have tried many of the lower end stuff to midgrade Mon$ter wire...couldn't hear a bit of difference...just don't buy the clear jacketed silver and copper colored stuff at Home Depot/Lowes/Menards/etcetera...I have had it turn green on me...good luck

Bill

Duel runs of Kimber 8TC to mains and center speaker. Cost at around $12 per foot. 56 ft x $12 = $670 +/-. AR Masters Series to Surrounds around Rear Center $250. Total speaker cable costs roughly $1,000 with tax.

Look on other peoples faces while reading this who used zipcord....priceless!

I sure wish I had that money back and simply used 12 guage "regular" speaker cable at perhaps $50 as I could tell no REAL difference.

16 quage Monster Wire............got 100' roll for $20. delivered to my door.....Can't beat that with a stick.........Funny, my Scott manual states 22 guage is fine..............that's kinda light, and the manual is 47 years old...........18 gauge is the very lowest I'd use, period.........

Duel runs of Kimber 8TC to mains and center speaker. Cost at around $12 per foot. 56 ft x $12 = $670 +/-. AR Masters Series to Surrounds around Rear Center $250. Total speaker cable costs roughly $1,000 with tax.

I sure wish I had that money back and simply used 12 guage "regular" speaker cable at perhaps $50 as I could tell no REAL difference.

You know Phil.....and I mean this in all sincerity.....it says a lot about you that you would be willing to be honest enough to say what you did. Let's face it, most people, after spending that kinda moola, would've either tried to justify it to themselves that they heard a difference or they wouldn't admit they didn't hear a difference.

And FWIW - I'm in the buy a nice inexpensive speaker wire (Radio Shack) camp with a personal preference of the 14ga flavor. [:)]

Tom

icon-quote.gif
PhilMays:

I sure wish I had that money back and simply used 12 guage "regular" speaker cable at perhaps $50 as I could tell no REAL difference

Thanks for the honesty. I don't feel so ashamed I couldn't tell the difference in the high dollar wire. I thought something was wrong with me. I'm running 14 guage GE wire now from HH Gregg. About $16 for 100' if I remember correctly.

Harry

I'm using some generic 12 gauge oxygen free (OFC) wire to my surrounds and center. I've bi-wired my fronts with some CL rated 14 gauge OFC cable. I use gold plated banana connectors on all ends. The banana plugs just make things easier. I got a deal from a friend who works at an audio store so everything was practically free.

I did notice a slight change when going from 16 gauge (crappy bargain cable) to 12 gauge on my surrounds (25ft). One thing you have to be careful about is whether the cable gauge is rated for one wire or both. I've seen some 12 gauge that's pretty thin and after measuring found it was the combined value. Really though, any (true) 14 gauge should be fine for most purposes.

For mains, 8 gauge Karma Kable from Knukonceptz. Big cable may not be needed with Klipsch speakers, but it made a noticeable improvement with my previous mains. I'd think good-quality 12 gauge fine-strand cable would be a good compromise between size and price. With fine-strand cable you will need to use banana plugs or some other type of connector, since it's not stiff enough to connect easily to binding posts, unlike the coarse-strand Home Depot stuff.

For surround, since I needed so much (over 200 feet) and the sound quality was not as crucial as with the mains and center, I used 12 gauge Home Depot wire. Most still looks pristine, but some looks a little green...

Cable is pretty inexpensive compared to the rest of the system, so it makes sense to buy some decent quality, so you can listen without feeling you cheaped out and compromised the sound.

Another alternative is blue jean cable they carry belden and canary cable. Great cable and there customer service is excellent. You can either order the cable raw and terminate it yourself or have them do it for a little more. Prices range from 38 cents to 1.05 a foot for raw cable and they have a calculator do determine the cost of terminated cables.

One caveat regarding BlueJeans Cable.

I recently speced various sources for Canare quad star microphone cable and Neutrik black and gold XLR connectors.

Their price was ~$76 while the exact same cable with the same fittings was available from other companies (and even from Canare itself!) for $42. And that was Canare's retail LIST price!

...Not exactly a competitive price!

It pays to shop around, and I have since discovered that I can source almost everything BlueJeans's makes with the exact same materials for much less.