Southwest Flooding

Tarheel

I hope all of our forum buds in Texas and Oklahoma are fairing well with the incessant rain, flooding and now oil spills. Check in when you can guys and give us an update. Wardsweb, Travis, Arthurs, WPM, Oldtimer and others that I can't recall just now.....be safe.

Thanks Tarheel. We're hanging on OK here. It's weird living in a tropical low when it's usually a scorching summer high. Can't mow the yard because it's too soggy. Amazing how hot low 80's feel with 85% humidity (when it's not raining). We are fortunate here in Denton since it is "paradise on the prairie ." The founders of the town really chose the spot well considering what happens with way more regularity around here, or we just got really lucky.

Just watched the national news coverage of the flooding and it looks bad. Showed the evacuation of an animal clinic.....got the last dogs and cats out just as the temporary dike failed. Here I am dragging the hose around the yard because of drought conditions. Trying to give all the grass and plants at least 15 minutes of water to keep them alive. Glad to hear your situation is tolerable oldtimer.....best of luck.

We're pretty lucky at our place in Fort Worth. Quite a bit of my property, landscaping and my pool have been brutalized, but we're thankful....

1 - everyone here is safe and sound

2 - the house has been relatively untouched

3 - the audio room is upstairs.....[;)]

All in all a pretty tough spring for our area, lots of homes and some lives lost, it's been really rough and pretty depressing....but soon it will be 105 and we'll have more bugs than ever before, so we have that going for us!

Thanks for the kind thoughts and well wishes guys....

The biggest change we are experiencing is that rather than just having to be aware of police watching for the use of seat belts, we now have to be aware of the increasingly common vehicle inspections by the Coast Guard for a minimumm of one PFD (personal floatation device) per car passenger.

Pardon me folks...I was just told to quite playing on the computer and to paddle harder!

The real crisis is for Texans to read this and to discover that we are now in the Midwest! Quick! Someone check the map! [:P]

There mas...I edited the thread title just for you. For those of you in the midwest that are suffering flooding we are equally concerned about your safety. Mas fasten your seatbelt and buy adequate flotation devices.....someone is watching you.

In north central OK, a lot of rain, localized street and stream

flooding, but no big crisis or damage. In fact, we just welcomed three

straight days without rain.Yahoo! [cue Julie Andrews] "The hills

are alive...with the sound of...LAWNMOWERS!" Here are some stats: OKC

area, 21 days in a row with rain; OK average yearly rainfall is 35

inches, this year so far, approx 33 inches; Stillwater (my

location) rainfall in month of June, 16 inches. We're soaked! However,

it has brought a much bigger crop of wildflowers along the roadways

(always look on the bright side..blah, blah...).

Actually, the title of the thread should be changed to "Southcentral Plains Flooding". The Southwest is another 1000 miles west. The south eastern corner of Kansas is a real mess. Fortunately, I'm about 80 miles west of the real devastation. Fredonia, Coffeyville, and Independence Kansas were all under water and significantly damaged. The water supply for our church camp comes from Fredonia where the water treatment facility is submerged and not expected to be operational until next week. The camp is about 11 miles west of Fredonia and measured 18" of rain before they had to give up measuring and focus on damage control with no water, no power and many dollars worth of food in the freezers, and only one highway open to get the campers out. County roads are washed out, paddle boats floated over the spillway on the dam, chairs are floating in the lake, and the roof leaked on the dining hall. What a mess!!

MeLovesKhorns posted about 20 hours ago over on 2 channel.....did'nt mention the flood.

Very hot here today already with high humidity.....got the yard work done.....and now its clouding up.....we need some rain....yeah....it just started as I was typing this.

Still have'nt heard from some of the Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma guys......how are you fairing?

• Moderators

Unfortunately, we are below average on rainfall. We get just enough rain to screw things up for landscaping. I like digging in the dirt, but I don't like digging in wet dirt....it sticks to you to much.

I notice MLK had posted on 2 channel also....after I posted in here.

Tarheel we hope to get up your way sometime towards the end of the year. Not quite sure if we will make it or not....as we have a cruise planned in April 08, but I would hate to miss our annual trek to the snow in the Smokies!!!!

• Moderators

I would really like to visit the coast. We have the Gulf Coast down here, which is really a sight to see, especially around the panhandle of Florida where the water is crystal clear, just spectacular. We visited the Atlantic Coast down in Florida and it was awesome.

We might plan a little side trip on our next "snow trip". Thanks for the invite. I don't think any of you guys made it to the Pilgrimage, or did you?

Yep, it's been rainin like a cow pi$$ing on a flat rock. Several days of multiple inches of rain in a row. The back yard is pretty soggy. As they say in these parts, "If you don't like the weather here.........just wait". I'm sure we'll be running sprinklers in a couple weeks.