Best Bass Player?

kelA

Not a Noel fan.

He was definitely the weakest link in the Experience...and evidently Jimi thought so too, specifying parts for him to play...

I only wish that Jimi had lived to be able to play with Stanley Clarke, someone capable of complimenting Jimi as he moved closer to a jazz influence.

Then there's the story of the time Les Paul passed by a bar and an unknown starving guitarist called Jimi Hendrix (may have been using his original name then) was auditioning. Les thought he was great, but didn't have time to hang around. He returned later, assuming Jimi had been hired, but the manager of the bar said that guy was too weird for his bar and he had no contact info for him. Jimi struggled for a few more years and eventually made it big, but his career (and music history) would likely have gone in a different direction had he connected with Les.

For an example of Jimi's jazz direction, check out Rainy Day, Dream Away from Electric Ladyland.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

James Jamerson

Don't recognize the name? I bet you know the songs!

I recognize the names and know the songs. I love anything ever put out by Motown!!!! Just watched the Funk Brothers concert on satellite the other day! Standing in the Shadows of Motown....everyone should see it at least once.

Mas.....you really surprise me sometimes![:o]

.........they put down a strong groove, while Donald "Duck" Dunn was doing it with Steve Cropper on guitar in Memphis...

My first "store bought" record album back in the day was Booker-T & the MG's. Dunn was phenomenal. Still have that album, getting a little "ratty" but nostalgia says it's a keeper!

Just for you ....follow the link

a Fantastic "on" nite for booker t, al jackson, dave scroggin, and duck dunn

i don't know where all this stuuf comes from .. unbeliveable .....[:)]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ceAPtJkbvs

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Jack Cassidy
play on Electric LadyLand........Hot Tuna coming to Albany this fall,
Jorma and Jack......

Voodoo Chile. He opens the cut (most folks thought it was Jimi).

Not a Noel fan.

He was definitely the weakest link in the Experience...and evidently Jimi thought so too, specifying parts for him to play...

I only wish that Jimi had lived to be able to play with Stanley Clarke, someone capable of complimenting Jimi as he moved closer to a jazz influence.

Then there's the story of the time Les Paul passed by a bar and an unknown starving guitarist called Jimi Hendrix (may have been using his original name then) was auditioning. Les thought he was great, but didn't have time to hang around. He returned later, assuming Jimi had been hired, but the manager of the bar said that guy was too weird for his bar and he had no contact info for him. Jimi struggled for a few more years and eventually made it big, but his career (and music history) would likely have gone in a different direction had he connected with Les.

For an example of Jimi's jazz direction, check out Rainy Day, Dream Away from Electric Ladyland.

According to an interview in Audio with Les Paul, Jimi called Les many times to ask him how to get certain sounds for Electric Ladyland. Les was the most influential guitarist and recording engineer of all time. Get his latest CD with all the people that agree (big names).

A couple of my favorites I've seen and heard live are John Entwistle from the Who and Leland Sklar playing with James Taylor. Have also really enjoyed the work of Chris Squire of Yes, Jaco Pastorius with Weather Report, Victor Wooten with the Flecktones and others.

Haven't seen Yes live and haven't listened to any Yes in a while other than a little bit from the Symphonic Live DVD Michael put on at the Pilgrimage to demo the bass capabilities of the RT-12d. I didn't know I could hear bass that deep. Definitely a DVD to add to my collection. Probably be disappointed until I get speakers or subwoofer that can dig really deep. Some day ....