What is a fair price when buying used LaScalas?

Wrinkles

Hello,

My first post as a member.

I want to obtain a pair of Klipsch speakers so I can hear what the wonderf world of Klipsch audio reproduction is all about.

There is an individual in the area who has a 1994 pair of black LaScalas for sale. They have never been abused and have only minor scratchs that can e easily laquered over or touched up. I want to offer him a fair price, but obviously not to overpay. What has this audience seen as the market price of a used pair in very good condition. And what was the real retail price of these back in 1994.

These would be for home use with my Bottlehead audio equipment.

Thanks for any information.

Wrinkles

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum!!! As far as a fair price for used LaScalas, there are others more knowledgable in the pricing area than I am.

I can say you have made a very good choice in first time Klipsch speakers.

It sounds from your post that you have never heard Klipsch speakers before, is that true?

BTW, it may be helpful to post the "general area" you are located!

Thankyou for the welcome. The seller wants around $1000. I'm hoping the LaScalas will sound good with my Foreplay II and Paramour 2A3 amps. Are there any issues with the LaScalas of this vintage that you know of?

Wrinkles

• Moderators

Wrinkles,

That sounds like a more than fair price. What are you waiting for????

I have been a member of this forum for over two years now and have yet to hear anyone complain about LaScalas....ever!

Go for it....if they are in good shape give the guy what he is asking.

Thankyou for the welcome,

I think almost everyone has heard of the mighty Klipschorns and possibly some of the other models. I have heard the Klipschorns in a showroom. Other than nice, it is kinda hard to know what they will sound like in my home. I haven't purchased them yet. I am reading all I can about them now. This forum looks like it will be a great place for help with any Klipsch questions.

Wrinkles

I paid about that for my 1974 La Scalas last year and was happy to, since they were only minutes from my place. If those 1994s are local to you and in good shape, that's a really good deal. With speakers that big and heavy, transport/location is always a factor in the total price.

When I look at buckster's range of 700-1000, I think it might be specific to black la scalas, not all la scalas. I know buckster likes the wood finishes of the heritage line. And if I'm correct about bucksters numbers being specific to black la scalas, then I'd agree with his estimate.

I'd say for 1994 la scalas in black, 700-1000 in C- to A- shape. For 1994 la scalas in actual wood grain finish, 700-1200 in C- to A- shape. The low end doesn't vary as much for worn speakers, just the high end goes up for great condition woodgrain as opposed to great condition black. (In general, if you find someone who likes black better than woodgrain, the worth of speakers to them can be inverted in that direction.)

Kimball

Welcome. It seems to me that most of the la scalas are either on the west coast or east coast. I have had 5 differant pairs of raw birch La scalas but never a black pair. Due to the size it is very easy to chip the outer ply on the lower corners. To find a pair with no veener chips is like finding a needle in a haystack. After the La scala II's were introduced Classic Audio in Vestal N.Y. had 2 pairs of new in the box 2004 la scalas. One pair of black and one pair of raw birch. I almost bought the pair of raw birch for 3240.00 tax included. It would have been a 450 mile round trip for me. Around the same time a very nice pair of raw birch sold on eBay for 2500.00. I ended up finding a pair of like new 1976 raw birch la scalas in Chicago. I paid 1200.00 for them and drove 1200 mile round trip to avoid shipping. In my opinion, not having to ship them is a BIG consideration. If you don't mind the black finish you should grab them quick. Stick 900.00 in one pocket and 100.00 in the other pocket. If you get them for 900.00 you will have made a great buy. Dont lose them over 100.00, give him the 1000.00. Like I said, not having to ship them is worth alot. Some of the guys think I am missing the main event not having tube gear. My K-Horns, La scalas, Cornwalls, and Heresy's all sound great on my vintage Marantz 2325 receivers.

• Klipsch Employees

Welcome!

I have a pr of black 1980 LS that I have been trying to get $700 for. The cabinets have been through alot. They were in a bar for 30 years.

I sanded them down and painted them black, replaced the drivers and built the network...I would say, $1k for nice cabinets is a good deal.

New LS II will run you $4200 or so.

Motorcycle madman!!!!!! Trey's 700 woudl be a great deal IMO. Let alone knowing he personally did the networks and checked em out right to match well.

I would agree with Trey... 800- 1600 depending on care given or anything else..

If your good with filler and can have them sanded then painted black, you can hide a lot and still have them look very very nice..

Some staines are good, others really look bad IMO.

The new ones are very very pretty, if price is not a consideration.

I would agree with most of the price ranges posted. But I have found that it also definitely matters the location of the marketplace. As posted, it seems that east and west coast have a lot of LaScalas. I sure would agree that NY does. I see them go for a song in NY all the time. Down here in Georgia they are not that plentiful. Prices are somewhat higher for the exact same stuff. If you really want them you have to be preapred to travel or pay a higher price locally (for nice ones) if you can find them. It seems they just do not come up as often down here. It seems like I see them advertised quite often in Florida.

New forum member Paully came over to my house recently and connected his Bottlehead SET amp to my LaScalas. Once you got close enough to the speakers......sure enough......it did sound really good. [:D][:D]

Welcome!

I have a pr of black 1980 LS that I have been trying to get $700 for. The cabinets have been through alot. They were in a bar for 30 years.

I sanded them down and painted them black, replaced the drivers and built the network...I would say, $1k for nice cabinets is a good deal.

New LS II will run you $4200 or so.

Trey, would you be willing to sell one of those 1980 units? I have a pair of 1974 La Scalas and I'd like to get another Scala for a center channel.

BTW, which crossovers do they have?