What is a fair price when buying used LaScalas?

Wrinkles

Pay no attention to the naysayers! [;)] I have my LS matched up with a pair of Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps. Volume is great and the sound is exquisite. I paid $1200-$1300 for mine and consider it worth every penny.

Bruce

If they are in good shape and local 1000 is a very fair price. I paid 1100 for mine(96 models) about 4 years ago. Only had to drive about 1 1/2 hours to get them and have been very pleased with them. Tubes are the only way to go in my opinion. It really 'tones down' the sharpness in the horns. Some complain about the bass on ls, but mine, running through an mx110 and an mc240 have bass to boot.. Not quite what my corns have to offer, but still 'in your chest'. Great speakers and congrats!

dave

I paid north of $1,200 for my LaScalas and had to drive to Va. to get them. Here are 3 guys from the south and look at those prices. Each of us paid over $1,100.

This is what I alluded to earlier. When someone asks what a fair price is, many times guys jump in and say in the $700 - $800 range. Well......that's not in our neighborhood on any regular basis. You can barely find the LaScalas here in our market anyhow.

.......so they cost more. I suppose timing is important too......but location seems to matter most.

Timing is everything. Someone in Chattanooga offered me a pair without crossovers for $450. Alas, at the time I didn't have the money. They were raw birch and fine except no crossovers in them... It would have been a 40 minute drive to get them.

So I ended up paying a lot more when the time came.

Bruce

I'd like to sell mine too. But they are very nice and have some great first order DeanG tricked out networks in them....and I use them regularly. I have so much into them I'm not quite ready to take that bath yet. But I trust I will have to soon to get my Jubs and the Jub system finished up.

There goes the insurance premiums! OT, but have motorcycle insurance premiums rapidly climbed in the US in the past few years? It has in Canada and three of the big motorcycle dealerships in the Toronto area have closed in the past year.

Insurance: Clean Record, for the Metro Toronto area:

Car: $1,472

Motorcycle: $1,495 (higher) for a 5 month season, at best

4) "Tickets and Accidents" count differently: Surprisingly, tickets and accidents do not affect motorcycles rates like they do cars. And an accident affects car insurance rates for 6 years, while your insurance rates are only affected by a motorcycle accident for 3 years.

Two Tickets

Car: from $1,885 to a high of $5,730

Motorcycle: average $1,495

Accident

Car: from $2,680 to a high of $7,852

Motorcycle: average $2,177

"The rates are astronomical," he said. "It's killing the business in Ontario. Spending a few thousand dollars on insurance to drive a bike for five months is awfully expensive."

5 months? Wotta lightweight! I rode year-round when I lived in TO. I even rode my bike to Peterborough for Christmas one year, but there was very little snow that year (1978). Seriously, you can ride regularly at least nine months a year if you have proper clothing and even on the odd dry and non-salty day in January and February. As you might imagine, I really laugh at people in Victoria who tell me it's too cold to ride in the winter.

Which shops have closed?

Now that Trey no longer has his La Scalas,

For Sale

1984 Birch Lacquer La Scalas with Top Grilles and 1/4 round molding

Stained medium brown

One with scratches on top but since they're lacquer, it's simple to refinish.

Located in Indianapolis

$1000 pr.