What's your take on car audio?

falcon20x

Very pithy Gilbert. But yes my questions were simply honest. I ask because a certain volume would be required to overcome a certain noise floor. I have never driven a seriously quiet car. I made nor make any implication about the way you drive nor your alertness factor. As for hearing the outside environment, that also reflects upon my curiosity regarding noise floor and volume of listening. (As an aside, sometimes emergency vehicles are coming from perpendicular and depending upon vision blocking conditions such as buildings I know I don't always see the flashing lights way ahead of time.) As for what kind of person asks, well, hopefully this post helps explain that. Obviously I get your drift, but you have seriously misjudged mine. The reason I put in the qualifying phrase at the beginning of the post was to avoid any misunderstanding regarding intent, at least I tried.

My sincerest appologies OT. And this thread does show that there are quite allot of people that have no concept of just how good a quality car system can sound. It is unbelievable, especially here on a forum like this, where I would venture to say that a great majority of us truly appreciate a good sounding music system. Obviously, car audio isn't for everyone in here, or maybe it's just one of those things that has to be experienced, before one can comprehended the significance of the car audio system....... Manufacturer's have been cashing in on this, but they consistenly fall short IMHO. That includes the new Lexus's Mark Levingston (spelling?) system, and Nakamichi systems from the previous generation LS line-up. Those systems were great, but still fall way short of a custom aftermarket system.

I do know that I was floored when I heard Frzinnvt's system. And like mentioned previously, it put a bug in butt to get the same kinda sound from my car. about 3 years later, I'm finally there.

Anyway, I am sorry I read more into your post than was there. Take care oldtimer [;)]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy with the OEM Chrysler "Infinity 10" system in my vehicle. It's no rolling Heritage system, but it sounds pretty good, with its 200 watt amp and 8 speakers. The thing about OEM car systems, at least the better ones, is that they're engineered for that specific "room", so they may work better than the quality or specs of the components would suggest.

Sure, the engine is good to listen to, but sometimes the trip is boring and it's good to have something pleasant coming out of the speakers.

IMO the room can make or break an audio system. When that room is the inside of a car, its far from ideal and the sound suffers. Some people love to listen to music through head phones and no doubt would prefer to listen to thier headphones over listening to system in a room that is either interacting in a positive or negative way of the room. I have heard very nice near field computer systems too. If your car sounds better than your home system, that is awesome, you should enjoy it.

IMO the room can make or break an audio system. When that room is the inside of a car, its far from ideal and the sound suffers. Some people love to listen to music through head phones and no doubt would prefer to listen to thier headphones over listening to system in a room that is either interacting in a positive or negative way of the room. I have heard very nice near field computer systems too. If your car sounds better than your home system, that is awesome, you should enjoy it.

JB, it's not a question of which system sounds better than the other, not from me anyway.

It's about enjoying enjoying music from a good SQ system. A high quality home system will always win-over a high quality car system, always. The problem for me though, is that I can not drive my house to work, I can't drive my house to the beach, and I can't drive my house to the woods.

For those that find music distracting for you when you drive, I feel sorry you. If you're okay and get a kick out of you factory system , way-to-go, you just saved a bundle of money. But if your finicky about the sound quality of the music you listen too, then this thread can be of help...... Because whether you like it or not, the fact is..... There is a difference, a significant, distinct difference.

JB, it's not a question of which system sounds better than the other, not from me anyway.

It's about enjoying enjoying music from a good SQ system. A high quality home system will always win-over a high quality car system, always. The problem for me though, is that I can not drive my house to work, I can't drive my house to the beach, and I can't drive my house to the woods.

I agree with you, about home vs car sound and the fact that you can't drive your home typically, unless of course your home is your car or you have a mobile home, which in my case in not the case. I have heard some mighty fine after market systems though. Too oftenI find that they are just loud. I have put some decent after market systems in my older cars as well, though they were no where near yours or your brother in-laws set ups. I prefer the ones with out the booming bass that can stay hidden behind factory enclosures. I do enjoy listening to music in the car, at some point I am going to get off my duff and replace the speakers and back amp for the corvette. Don't really want to change the look of the head unit though, which brings up a pet peeve I have for after most after market head units, that is all the flashing lights, why do so many companies feel the need to make the thing put on a light show. I would just want something understated with quality sound. So at this point would just be looking at speakers and amps.

Don't really want to change the look of the head unit though, which brings up a pet peeve I have for after most after market head units, that is all the flashing lights, why do so many companies feel the need to make the thing put on a light show. I would just want something understated with quality sound. So at this point would just be looking at speakers and amps.

I hated (and still do) the idea of deviating from the stock head unit, but I had no choice. Like you, I hate the look of the circus light show, clown face looking head units.

It took me a while to pick one, but I settled for the Naka CD700II. It's been a decent unit (knock on wood), but it finiky about the CDR's I use. It likes some, but dislikes most. The CD changer though is much more friendly with the CDR's. But the install, as a whole, is very generic or stock looking. No one would ever figure it out by peeking through the window.

Here's a picture of the head unit, it is the only thing that stands out, and it doesn't exactly scream out at you.

post-12381-13819344207704_thumb.jpg

I agree on the circus like head units, mine has a "blackout" feature and that is the way I use it. The display does not illuminate until a function is used, it comes on for a split second and then back to black. Only the function buttons remain illuminated. If I did not have the center channel you would never know there was a system in the car. The deck is phantom faced, it looks like a unit with the faceplate removed when powered down.

It sounds so good I actually look forward to the morning and afternoon commutes sometimes. It comes in handy when you get behind morons yapping on their cell phones and not paying attention. While it will play loud it excels at low normal listening levels and stays coherent as volume increases I only have 250W total after all. [:D]

I've had this JVC unit for a little over a year and it's great. It plays DVD Audio/video and MP3. Very easy to use and looks great. Has video out if you want to shoot to a screen in the back. It also has a backup camera input and is Sirius ready, which I have. I use a JL Audio 3004 amp, Polk Momo speakers and an Infinity Basslink powered sub. Excellent sounding system, esp. w/ DVD A discs.

post-18056-13819344226228_thumb.jpg