I got my Lascalas ... promptly took them to the desert to test them.

G.Kennedy

Wow I just finished reading the whole thread and I got goose bumps!. The modified pic (thanks) is now my screen saver but I want a larger pic. Reminds me when we went up to loon lake one year with 2 pairs of La Scala's a big ol GAS amplifier (ampzilla?) about 20 people and a couple of kegs for the weekend. We stacked the La Scala's and ran about 200' of extension cord from the generator over to the amp. We used a sony discman to play cds. This brings back just tons of memories...Thank you for sharing!

Scooter

Sorry my modded pic vanished - I took down the web server to do some upgrades on it. It shall return soon.

In the meantime - I will be working on larger, higher res versions this week - including both with and without the klipsch logo per request - and I might even do some Pink Floyd-isms :D Should be cool

• 4 months later...

Ha ... Thanks for bumping this one back to the top dtel.

I saw your post in the T-amp thread. A 12/7ah battery will run a set of La Scalas to a very respectable volume for hours. We had a party with about 30 people in the desert ... campfire... yelling people .... the T-amp never needed to turned up all the way ....plenty of zip.

More recently I have been taking the KP201's ... which at only 97db sensitivity ... they are not as dynamic as the La Scalas. Great for a group of six or so .... but for bigger gatherings..... the La Scalas rule.

The battery I use is a gray dry cell 12, 7 ah .... I think it is meant for backup in security lighting .... about 25 bucks. The T- amp is running well below an amp of draw. There is a picture of it on page 1 .... you could go smaller ... as i have never run out of juice and it gone a long time.

I can loan you a T-amp if you want to test it .... I am not gonna ship a battery though.

• Moderators

" I can loan you a T-amp if you want to test it .... I am not gonna ship a battery though. "

Thats nice of you, thanks, but I think I will try one from parts express they are selling one for $50, because I probably would want to use it like you did for places where I would rather not hear a generator running or want the extra music volume to hide the generator.

I have been thinking about this since you started this thread.

KP 201 is a great little speaker. Basically a stock Heresy in Industrial covering. The II is the one to own if you can, it goes back to the K22 woofie and has K762 tweeter which is tractrix. You'll know a II because it substitutes the 1/4" socket with Neutrik NL4.

I test drove mine against my KP 250's and while the more massive KP250 have it on volume (116 v 126 db max), the sealed KP201 is a much smoother sound. They're better than the HIP's for the same reason.

That is just too, too cool. You are definitely my kind of guy, love it.

Just noticed those industrials are all wood (birch) finished, much nicer than the common nasty black plastic suckers.

We played them into the night ... the near full moon was awesome on the lakebed.

200434127-M.jpg

200434489-M.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well ... there have been updates and additions ... but in the form of Twins .... a boy and a girl.

Desert trips are on hold until they are a bit older.

Next addition is a 1000w inverter running off a 225ah deep cycle .... my math says it'll run my Macrotech 600 for about 7 hours ... probably test it this winter ... temps have been over 100deg for the last three months ... been a real hot summer.

• 3 months later...

I just found this thread. Great to know we are not the only music nuts out there.

Bravo great pics! Great set up!

We load up the boats with Scalas, Cornwalls, Heresys, a half dozen deep cycle batteries, a pair of Crowns, a couple kegs of beer and roll down the river to a little island on the intercoastal waterway and set up under the sprawling oak trees. We'll build a bonfire and run till the batteries die then it's a couple hundred feet of cord to a baby generator. Spend the weekend camping and jamming. The music never stops....so if you need quiet to sleep you must have ear plugs.

We usually do this twice a year fall & spring.. But it is such a work out dragging equipment thru the sand from the beach to under the oaks and from the boat landing to the different vehicles it takes a week to recover.

I have a T amp on the way....hoping for good results and being able to leave the genny and gas cans at home. It's nice when the music goes black not to hear the genny in the background..

I know now we'll have less equipment to haul come spring. Just wondering what dual T amps would do. You can never have enough speakers, and seems never enough power. In order to get a quiet genny you must go smaller so then there is a voltage drop so then the amps power supplies staart stariving and breakers/fuse start going.

Our next outdoor adventure is planned for the Old Sheldon Church near Beaufort, SC http://www.sciway.net/photos/coast-sc/sheldon-church/ruins.html

We are hoping the inside corners of the church ruins will add to the low end that is always lost outdoors. Will post dates when the next outdoor jam is scheduled.

Klipsch under the stars is only improved by being under the oaks as well!