I got my Lascalas ... promptly took them to the desert to test them.

G.Kennedy

So how loud did you get them, and what tracks did you listen to?

Loud enough ... 20 - 30 ft seemed like the sweet spot ... we would turn it up .. but eventually it was just too loud for long term listening .. and talking, so we seemed to keep turning it back down.

We listented to everything ... literally.  Our musical tastes are very different ... she leans toward hip hop and techno ... lots of elecronica .... Me I am more straight ahead rock and blues and jazz.  SRV, Sabbath, Brubeck, Getz, Gillian Welch .... Albert Collins there was some Muddy Waters in there , Dark Side of the Moon was pretty epic, Nora Jones too.... from her ... Bjork, Pier Bucci, Drexcyia, Madlib ... lots of other stuff I don't even know ... she has a real eclectic collection.

We probably played 15 hours of music, so we kind of played alot of different stuff.  Paco de Lucia .. that was great too.

So how loud did you get them, and what tracks did you listen to?

Loud enough ... 20 - 30 ft seemed like the sweet spot ... we would turn it up .. but eventually it was just too loud for long term listening .. and talking, so we seemed to keep turning it back down.

We listented to everything ... literally. Our musical tastes are very different ... she leans toward hip hop and techno ... lots of elecronica .... Me I am more straight ahead rock and blues and jazz. SRV, Sabbath, Brubeck, Getz, Gillian Welch .... Albert Collins there was some Muddy Waters in there , Dark Side of the Moon was pretty epic, Nora Jones too.... from her ... Bjork, Pier Bucci, Drexcyia, Madlib ... lots of other stuff I don't even know ... she has a real eclectic collection.

We probably played 15 hours of music, so we kind of played alot of different stuff. Paco de Lucia .. that was great too.

LSI's from 30 feet, just like Doc, Indy and I experienced at my place. The sound just melds together. DSOTM would be AWESOME on that lunar landscape. Try some Brian Eno some night for fun.

Where was this (if you don't mind saying)?

This was at a dry lake bed called ... of all things, Soggy Dry lake, near Lucerne, CA.  Soggy is real accessible, and because of this sees alot of use (meaning it is kind of trashed).  There are hundreds of these in So. Cal, NV and AZ.  Others, that are a bit more removed from LA, like Cuddeback out near Randsberg are a bit more pristine. And if you venture in to Death Valley National park, only foot traffic is allowed on them ... making the surface perfect.

The landsailers use Cuddeback, but in this photo, you can see where some one drove on the surface when it was wet and left tracks.  If its dry, its hard as a rock.

Posted Image

I circulated the link to this thread through the office- you've got about 20 seasonsed Klipschsters wishing they could be in your shoes on the desert. EVERYONE here is looking at this thread today. We might have to erect a monument to your very unique use of Klipsch speakers.

So tell us (so we can live vicariously through you) HOW DID IT SOUND??

Damn, look at that sky! Pure azure, awesome.

Michael

I circulated the link to this thread through the office- you've got about 20 seasonsed Klipschsters wishing they could be in your shoes on the desert. EVERYONE here is looking at this thread today. We might have to erect a monument to your very unique use of Klipsch speakers.

So tell us (so we can live vicariously through you) HOW DID IT SOUND??

Damn, look at that sky! Pure azure, awesome.

Michael

Pure Azure, once a photographer always a photographer[;)]

Very cool!

I was born and raised in China Lake, Ca, and lived there till I was 17 years old. Like you I spent a lot of time on the dry lake there with my motorcycles (Suzuki 50/125). No soft sand to really speak of on this one though. :-) Those skies bring back some great memories. Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Hey, Thanks for all the comments. Yes we had a

great time. The thing is .. this is the kind of duty the speakers will

be pulling. We head out to the lakebeds monthly ... with dirtbikes and

cameras .... some beer and wine. I actually don't really have space for

Lascalas in my house. We are going to set them up for a party Saturday

night, but mostly they are going to go out on bigger camping trips with

us, and be stored the rest of the time.

As

for mods ... probably not going to change anything right now. I am sure

the caps could use replacement, but being sealed for 26 years, the AA

crossovers look brand new, it would be a shame to mod them. I would

prpbably replace the whole crossover and keep these stock.

Well,

for that service, I wouldn't mess with the crossovers any time

soon. You'd still like the mid horn damped and the bass horn

brace will be good, as well.

A pair of tripath amps and a 12V electronic crossover would be killer!

Cool usage! It's one of the things they were made for! I'll

bet it is truly awesome. I need to try something like that with

my Peavey/Altec set.

Well,

for that service, I wouldn't mess with the crossovers any time

soon.  

My thoughts exactly.  I don't have $2000 dollar CD players and pre amps.  I listen to lots of music ... I don't pick it apart too much.

Thanks for all the comments.  I will post some more after the big party next month so you can see how it works out.

Absolutely awesome. The pictures are great and the concept of taking a big set of LaScalas into the desert is off the hook. I'm thinking some Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs", David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust", The Who "Who's Next". Excellent idea. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1