Where's pilgrimage 2008 gonna be??

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the answer!!! I have two days to decide to go.

Can anyone tell us what it is like??

Is it like a car show or a county fair??

Or is it a place where people show up and

and talk? I know these are dumb questions

I assume it is at the factory or headquarters? thanks alot.

The pilgrimage is a lot like a family reunion with a factory tour thrown in. Friday night is usually the "mixer" where people just hang out and wait for others to stroll in from outta town. A lot of people usually bring their gear which results in an opportunity to hear new things (and lots of new music too). Saturday is always filled with a tour of the Klipsch facilities, which is usually very educational and lots of fun to play with all their toys and see how the stuff is designed. You usually get to hear most all of the new stuff coming out too, and there's almost always a blind listening test which usually stirs up a lot of dicussion.

It's kinda rare to meet people with the same level of passion/obsession for good sound, which makes these kinds of events extra awesome. It's cool to meet the people behind the scene too...they're as crazy as we are (if not crazier sometimes). Klipsch is a growing company, but they work hard to maintain that good old family feel within the company.

• 4 weeks later...

Right now for me it is TENTATIVE.....pending Corporate results.

Tax refund is already spent, and I should be able to confirm one way or another by April 30th, when the books are closed. Basically, I am relying on the BONUS to attend.

To early to tell......Poll is still out! SOOOOOOOO, my question is:

How late can I wait to register for this event?

Bob.. Always has been that date..

The 20th of June is Friday..a mixer, social get together..They will say later... It might be a workshop too?

The 21st is all day at Klipch././ sat night ?? (Something here to come..)

Sunday people hang a little then go home etc. etc. Most of us need to work Monday! LOL

Locally, at least in Indy, some people come early to do some shopping, sight seeing, hang out. Indy is a great city with lots to do or see too.. So it kinda starts as people trickle in Wednesday or Thursday on....

You develop a lot of friendships and look forward to spending time with people at things like this.

So what to do?? For you "first timers." Just be here by mid afternoon Friday. Hang out at the local Klipsch sponsor hotel, they usually meet for dinner someplace and introduce yourself... come hang with the other forum members a while.. you will get it ...LOL And remeber to laugh at yourself and others who you might have thought were one way you felt like they were like, and find out in person quite different? hahahahaha

Thanks Indy.

I thought I saw some dicussion about having it at a different time. Just wanted to be sure.

I'll put in for that Friday and Monday.

I'm not sure why I'm doing this, but I'm trying to get the wife to come along too.

She doesn't care about speakers and such, but I thought she might like to meet D-Tel's Wife (Christy) and some of you other guys. Maybe she'll get interested. [;)]

Hope to see everyone there!

• 2 weeks later...

The last I heard (pending budget negotiations) we were going to try to do 1/2 day of lab testing and workshops also. I'll look at calendars this week and get the planning going. We start earlier each year, because it just keeps getting bigger and better.

So if you're planning travel time, Friday might be much more than just the 'mixer'. And there are ample opportunities for informal gatherings on Sunday also if you need to hang around to catch a flight.

I'm blocking out Thurday night through Sunday mid day (ok absent those times when Trey needs me). Doc will be in charge of the house.

By 3:00 Sunday y'all have to clear out of the House of Klipsch so I can collapse please.

Michael

Michael...

You're almost makin' me feel worse I didn't find out about the Pilgrimage several years ago - I've missed way too much fun.

Haven't really seen the really good Klipsch things at the couple of Klipsch dealers I've visited in the area. I think Ovation in Indy and a place in Lafayette though may have more just didn't see a lot of the big honkin', or even little honkin' (Heresy) on display. Naturally the Best Buy in Kokomo stops at the Synergy level (quite good for the price) and I've not seen anything above I think an RF-82 at an Indy area Best Buy I've made it too recently. Getting closer. Something about the 97+ db 1w 1m models that just appeals to me sonically and conceptually. Of course "settling" for an RF system wouldn't be a bad compromise. Not really listened and compared enough to know which models I like the best (OK, the K'horns which really includes the Jubilees are off the charts even with a short listen but haven't listened enough to the other Heritage ( I include Forte and Chorus) and Reference to really know what I just gotta have. Palladium would be more a won the lottery type of dream. They sure are pretty. I don't consider the Jubilees ugly, while maybe not "pretty" they are striking as an execution of form follows funciton. Don't take that to mean that I think the Palladiums lack substance - can't wait to hear them but they definitely have more style. Thankfully they also I am sure deliver the musical goods.

Went to a high end show at a stereo shop when I lived in the Dallas area a few years ago. A lot of really good, and really expensive equipment. CD's we're still kind of new but embraced here as I don't recall any vinyl setups or tubes, may have just forgot. Dolby Pro-logic was really new but just a really poor demo with no support playing a Carly Simon concert video over smallish pedestrian speakers though Yamaha did supply a box of movie soundtrack CDs. Kind of the typical mass market room with equipment on the shelves people just wondered in and out of.

Tony and John in the Aragon and Amrita room (the "low end" demo room here, about 8k, maybe 10k with the top speakers they demo'd), especially Tony, had a lot of fun with the tracks on the movie CD - they were having a blast. A lot closer to the Klipsch vibe than any of the rest. They were all passionate, just missing the $&%* this is fun groove. Most of the others, were, a bit stuffy by comparison.

No Klipsch. Always been at the top of my list, especially when one considers the price / performance. (Ok, if Klipsch had been in the store and PWK would've been the Klipsch rep He'd have probably p'od a few of 'em). Always kind of thought a lot of the high-end snooty audiophile types turned up their noses towards Klipsch products - they probably buy the stuff from the guys who got shown the BS button. Not that a lot of high end audiophile types don't love Klipsch as the ones who love music (and movies) certainly do.

I think the Amrita speakers (hadn't heard of them before) and Aragon electronics sounded the best overall, especially in the punch and price / perfomance. The large Mirage and Classe monoblock room also really good but considerably more expensive, I think each monoblock was 5K. The demo'd Aragon electronics were 6 to 8 K. The "high resolution" California Audio Labs CD demo, sounded overly hissy to me, guess I'm not an audiophile.

A local company demo'd a smallish 2 way using the 7" Focal kevlar driver and inverted dome of the time. It did sound very good, but no deep bass, and I think the crossover sounded very costly to build. And the box was overly complicated mostly pyramidal in shape with very nice exotic veener. I had catalogs with said drivers, just didn't seem worth 4700 / pair. Probably LaScalas and change?

I didn't think the 16k Hales speakers hooked up to the 60 to 80k of Krell electronics sounded as good as the Aragon and Amrita demo or the Mirage and Classe deom. Definitley not worth several times as much as the Aragon and Amrita. (God forbid, Amrita demo'd a puny $600 a pair and measly $1600 a pair speakers - hmmm that would've probably gotten a pair of Fortes or Chorus in the late 80s, maybe close to Cornwalls? I think the large Amrita's used a vented dual woofer alignment, both identical, one mounted directly in front of the other with a short tube in between, I think the Sinus speakers used this alignment, can't remember the term, it'll probably pop into my head tomorrow, er later today, or Sunday - I think it was supposed to be somewhat equivalent to the same single driver in a box with twice the volume).

The Apogee guy had checked his crossovers so naturally they got trashed and could only look and wonder - he was trying to find an EE to either fix them or who would know where to get replacement capacitors (? +- 20 years ago) for Saturday afternoon and/or night. I went Friday 6 to 9 PM. I think Saturday was a repeat, or two? Really wanted to hear the Apogee ribbons to see what all the fuss was about. Forget what amps they were going to use but as I recall the Apogee ribbons got down to the 2 or even 1 ohm region and they were huge monoblocks.

I think I've seen ads recently for his store which now also carries the Wilson line. Man, the Palladiums are sounding like a bargain comared to the top Wilson model.

When the Hales guy (I think his name was Hales) finally got around to playing some music, one of the tracks was Bela Fleck and The Flecktones Flight of The Cosmic Hippo ( a CD I own) to demonstrate that the Hales speakers had deep extended bass (I guess rumored to be puny) - just didn't blow me away like I thought it 60 to 80k of equipment and $16 speakers should and was, well, rather anemic compared to what I thought I should hear (probably a lot better than my crappy home built speakers, but just not up to expectations) (I don't recall if the 60 to 80k was for the electronics or the complete setup - the store owner hadn't bothered to figured it up). You can bet I'll bring that CD to the next Pilgrimage. 20 + years apart, but I think I'll be able to know what I felt was missing when I hear it. I think my Custom 2 headphones come closer. Don't get me wrong, the discussion or more like a speech on the pains to minimize cabinet resonances and how the 3" thick front baffle was very interesting, but isn't this whole hi fi hing about how the music sounds?

Don't get me wrong, I love the techno geeky discussions planned for the Pilgrimage and am looking forward to Larry's classical music class, this was advertised like come meet the designers and listen to their latest.

I don't remember who most of the reps where, other than Tony Federicci with Aragon and John from Amrita, ? Hales, and I think the Apogee guy was the Apogee guy. I do think I had read about some of the people in print when I saw the ad in the paper or wherever I saw it.

The wife was out with the girls and I hadn't eaten before I left, I remember thinking what am I hungry for, while Tony and John were talking about getting some food when things were winding down (after visiting every room, I hung out in the FUN room. Didn't hit me until later that I should've mentioned that I was hungry as I suspect they would've invited me along if they were on their own but maybe had a group dinner planned? - probably thick juicy steak, barbecue, big ole pile of tex mex, or Italian and lots of brewskies guys - probably at home at The Palm or a dive.. The Hales guy, would've probably went for Sushi. The Apogee guy seemed like he would've been having a ot more fun had his crossovers not got trashed and he spent most of the night apologizing and trying to find someone who could find an EE.

Past my bedtime... into psyco babble that crazy needs to be tranqilized mode... just sleep, probably just a bit overstressed so the mind wakes up and runs amok when I should be starting to cut serious timber, thankfully, it's Saturday, so I can sleep in until 10 or noon