OT: For those who like to cook

dtel

• Moderators

My sister bought me one of these " Misto " Olive oil misters. It works great ! http://www.misto.com/

It's made well and easy to operate, open the top, fill half way with Olive oil, screw the top back on and use the top of the bottle to pump it up " about 10 pumps and spray. It puts out a fine mist perfect for a light coat when you don't want to pour it on. With 10 pumps it only sprays for about 10 seconds but it's easy to pump up.

Looks like it's built to last, all aluminum and has rubber gaskets and is only $9.99, has other uses also.

Just thought I would say something, because many of the gadgets out there are junk, but this seems to be well built.

can it be retrovitted to spray lard? oh wait, the good ole days of eating are gone. i recently received an email that showed ads from the 50's--one of the ads was celebrating the joys of cooking with lard. i ain't no doctor; but the people looked happy.

seriously, a good idea and i'm a huge olive oil fan (not popeye's girl either).

• Moderators

I cook a lot and I can't think of too many things that would use just a spritzing of EVO. Maybe bread or a single piece of lettuce?

To tell the truth about a week before we were putting some butter on bread with different seasonings to bake in the oven. I happen to tell my sister instead of butter it would be nice to have a way to spray a little olive oil on the bread to help the seasoning stick and add to the taste.

It's very hard to spread a very thin layer of butter on the bread to help hold the dry seasonings. You have to realize it is not just a couple of pieces of bread, we have 9 people here, it's usually a couple of those double bottom trays about 20 pieces of bread.

We have not tried it on the bread yet but I have used it to spray on sliced up potatoes for the oven and on some pork chops on the grill, it seems to work perfect. Might want to get another one for lemon juice or vinegar.

Glad to hear you have had one for a while and it still works, just have to remember to clean it like they say.

My mom uses something like that, but from one of them girly dohickey parties she participates in - pampered chef? I forget.

She was all excited when she ordered her first one and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the gimmickiness of the idea. But when it showed up I was quite impressed - it actually works quite well and can be used for all sorts of things that involve spraying fluids around. I definitely have to say that taping the nozzle down is one of the best pranks ever... [A]

• Moderators

My mom uses something like that, but from one of them girly dohickey parties she participates in - pampered chef? I forget.

She was all excited when she ordered her first one and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the gimmickiness of the idea. But when it showed up I was quite impressed - it actually works quite well and can be used for all sorts of things that involve spraying fluids around. I definitely have to say that taping the nozzle down is one of the best pranks ever... [A]

"girly dohickey parties"....come on Doc I thought you were beyond that type of "talk"[;)]

Anyway, for those of you that consider yourselves "real men"[;)] Pampered Chef has some really cool cooking items. The barbecue utensils they sell are among the best. The food chopper they sell is also excellent for chopping small amounts of seasoning. I would recommend you look at some of the items Pampered Chef has to offer.....you would be surprised.

As far as taping the nozzle down as a prank I know you are "punk" but geez, I didn't think you would stoop that low. I thought you just hung out and "rolled houses or something"![;)]

I think I ruined mine with bourbon for spritzing a ham trying an Alton Brown recipe.  Well, maybe not ruined...

the best tasting turkey i've ever had was from an alton brown recipe--although we cooked it longer than his recipe stated because it really looked undercooked. i don't know if there was a typo in the recipe; but, it tasted better than anything i've had previously.my wife's company had an exhibit at our county fair [orange county, ca] and alton was there doing a show. she bought a cookbook and he autographed it. he wrote, "To Steve, don't run with knives. Alton"

My mom uses something like that, but from one of them girly dohickey parties she participates in...

Perhaps you can order an outfit for that "dtel waxed leg" photo you're posing for...;^)

• Moderators

My mom uses something like that, but from one of them girly dohickey parties she participates in...

Perhaps you can order an outfit for that "dtel waxed leg" photo you're posing for...;^)

DrWho I don't think they sell the the oil mister's at them " girly dohickey parties ", she just told you that's what she bought ! [:o][;)]

I think I ruined mine with bourbon for spritzing a ham trying an Alton Brown recipe.  Well, maybe not ruined...

the best tasting turkey i've ever had was from an alton brown recipe--although we cooked it longer than his recipe stated because it really looked undercooked. i don't know if there was a typo in the recipe; but, it tasted better than anything i've had previously.my wife's company had an exhibit at our county fair [orange county, ca] and alton was there doing a show. she bought a cookbook and he autographed it. he wrote, "To Steve, don't run with knives. Alton"

Tell us a little about the turkey recipe.  I think Alton is a great source for food knowledge.  I force age meat they way he instructed and it works pretty good.  I just cooked a turkey last weekend.  Brined it and so on.  I won't be cooking for Thanksgiving this year.  Back surgery on the 16th. He did a beef tenderloin in a salt crust that I'll try in Dec if all goes well.

i don't have that recipe any longer. several years ago, i saw one of alton's shows right around thanksgiving time--he was cooking a turkey that had been soaked in this brine. i went to the website and printed the recipe from that show. many shows since then, so i would guess that the particular recipe that i saw has been replaced on the food network website.

this turkey was the moistest that i've ever had--i think the salt in the brine does something that makes the meat retain liquid during the cooking process. whatever it was supposed to do--it worked and tasted incredible.