Best Khorn Tweeter Upgrade

jm5546

I never should have started reading this forum! Too late now, I've got the upgrade bug. With that in mind, I would like to know your opinions/experiences with the following tweeters, and which one you consider to be the best for the Khorn:

JBL 2404H (Low on my personal list, only due to its scarcity and related replacement part costs.)

Beyma CP25

Crites CW125

I will eventually be upgrading the X-overs to ALK units. Either the 12dB, or extreme slope units (haven't decided yet. Might need some help with that later).

Thank you in advance for your input, and thank you for all of the great posts that have inspired me to bring, what I hope will be, a new level of enjoyment to my Khorns.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the input concerning the drop-in benefit of the CW125. Although this could certainly be a consideration for many, my primary focus is sound quality. As such, modifying the upper compartment (if necessary) is not a "show stopper". Of course, the ideal situation would be that the CW125 is indeed the best performance choice. That, combined with it's physical compatibility would make it an absolutely great way to go.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the input.

Do you feel that the Beyma and JBL are fairly comparable, or does one stand out? I have read a few comments on the JBL that toute it as being the "pinnacle" of tweeters. Even so, I am a bit nervous about buying expensive, used drivers that are no longer in production. Hence my interest in talking to those who have already tread this path.

I think that the answer would depend on your dedication to the Heritage sound. To qualify my answer, I have never listened to the Beyma.

I have listened to K77's for thirty odd years. I tryed the CT125's and considered them to be a significant improvement over the stock K77. I thought them to have a Heritage sound, however some users did not. I realy liked the sound of them, and the lower point of cross was an advantage IMO.

Then I went to the JBL 2404's. IMHO, they DO NOT have a Heritage sound, and it took a while for my ear to adjust to the different horn flair.

A year or so later, ................I could never go back. They simply sing, and sing, and sing. A cymble strike lasts forever, and flies all over the room.

tc

One would expect that the JBLs would blow away the tweeters that Bob sells. I put Bob's tweeters in my LS and love them. Definitely a very good match. I just don't have the money for the JBLs. By all means, try them both. My son put a set of Bob's tweeters in he original Heresies. A great upgrade choice, and I am not at all disappointed with them in my LS either.

Bruce

has anyone here piddled with Selenium ST324 cheap ($25) slot tweeter? (not a drop in) - sounded sweet to me on top of my v-vent coaxial box but am not sure of its sensitivity for K-horn/Ls applications

I have a pair of ST324's. They are a good tweeter for cheap. They have a sensitivity of 108 db I think. So that should be enough for a Khorn/LS application.

They won't be as refined sounding as a Beyma or JBL, however......they are just a cheap ABS slot tweeter with a phenolic diaphragm. But I prefer them over K-77, IMO....

IMHO, it really becomes a "cost vs benefit" question. For the money, especially if you want to get to a demonstrated and noticeable improvement and want to avoid spending alot (at least initially...), the CT-125 from BEC is probably the best way to go. Only my opinion. The JBL's, Beyma's, etc certainly are really good, but you always have to ask the question, "how good are my ears, and how good is the room, the amp(s), etc." Even after using BEC's CT's, and you decide to "go further", you can sell the CT's to "pert near" what you paid for them. Hope that's of some assistance.

I have been re-reading all the Khorn tweater threads and khorn two way threads and am no closer to make a decision. Since I just acquire my khorns I will listen to them for a while before I make any changes. One of my alnico tweeters is dead so I will get the diaphrams replaced and the alnico remagnitized since it doesn't cost much to do. I would like to keep the khorns stock but eventually experiment with another horn as a two way and just set it on top. Reading all the threads regarding horn candidates to go two way has left me with no decision made yet. I do want to stay in the klipsch family of horns or else it isn't really a klipschorn any more. Has anyone actually exerimented with a two way khorn with another Klipsch hf horn from the cinema line? Hope I haven't thrown fuel on the fire : )

I have mentioned in some other posts that I pulled back from a full blown triamped active crossover system that included the JBL 2404H's BUT I will say that if I was to decide to return to climbing the upgrade ladder the JBL would be one of the first things put back onto my "stock" k-horns (ALK crossovers still in there so not really stock). Those tweeters just simply sounded better in my room and system than the stock tweeters. I cannot comment on the sound quality of the other candidates you mentioned, and no offense intended, but I had not really considered them as upgrades, I had them tagged more as replacements for blown stock tweeters. In drivers you have to pay to play IMHO, the JBL are not cheap but they are top quality drivers. Tony

p.s. Now if you could also find mid range horns and drivers that were not hard to find and cost and arm and a leg you would really have something...and so the merry-go-round begins!

JM5546: A couple of questions.

Is there something in particular that makes you unhappy with your k77 tweeters, or is this just part of a general upgrade?

Also, are there other components you are planning to change (you already mentioned the crossover)? For instance, if you are planning on swapping the mid horn and/or driver, then the tweeter change should probably be best done in a coordinated fashion.

------------------

SETI: A two-way cabinet would be an interesting idea. One possibility (other than the K402) would be a K510 since it is less expensive. Alternatively, there have been others who have used an Altec 511 with a 902 driver. I believe the trick is to then use steepish crossovers (mostly so the 902 is not going too low) and some EQ at the high end may be required (an electronic crossover could do both). If you go this way you'll need to make sure the diaphragm can reach the highs (I think the Aluminum is the best, check the previous threads on that issue).

Good Luck,

-Tom