Interconnects - anyone find any better value than Bluejeans ?

wpines

I haven't tried Bluejeans products but the consensus seems to be a that they are a good price/quality value. Has anyone discovered products with even better price/quality value ?

Blue Jeans = def OK

.....good product, great service, fast, reasonable price. I especially like the color coding for multichannel. Nice stuff!

I never believed in fancy interconnects but went ahead bought a whole buch of Blue Jeans cable from audiogon (spent good amount of money too since they were near new) - but I think I am just fooling myself to believe there was a difference - if someone switched them out of my system - I would never be able to tell.

I have them - but I can't honestly say they made a difference.

Very decent quality for the price. I've made a few pair for forum members who said they worked just fine. Only drawback is some slightly finer soldering ability when working with delicate conductors and combing out the shield, but I've always preferred all copper braid/shield to tinned copper or other types. Twinaxial design also can have some advantages over standard coax.

If RFI/EMI is not a problem, a good, low capacitance/ft. interconnect can consist of a tightly twisted pair or braided trio of teflon insulated wire.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=100-225

Erik

And what you can get at Radio Shack does good, too. It's just simple, insulated wire (seeming to me to be PE insulated rather than PVC for some types), usually copper braid, but not always. A good termination of whatever the wire may be is probably more important in the short and long run than whether or not it has nice heat shrink with cool-looking graphics on it.

The lengths some companies go to with descriptions of interconnect and speaker cable can make for some enjoyable reading -- often pretty funny, too.

Erik

edit: One problem I've found with R. Shack jacks, though, is that they can grip like a vise; and that can damage delicate ground connections in equipment, particularly those that use PCB input jacks. My Lexicon comes to mind, but the same would be true for JM preamplifiers, for example (if they still use PCB RCA connections).

Agree with Erik; I bought some RS Gold a while ago when they were on a sale; It was like pulling teeth to put on and take off... ended up with a pair of needle nose pliers in one hand.... They seem to otherwise work fine. I do like the idea of making one's own from the teflon wire. But, as EM said, soldering skills have to be a little better than "normal".

I never believed in fancy interconnects but went ahead bought a whole buch of Blue Jeans cable from audiogon (spent good amount of money too since they were near new) - but I think I am just fooling myself to believe there was a difference - if someone switched them out of my system - I would never be able to tell.

I am not sure if you are saying that Blue Jean cables are "fancy," but for the price I paid and the service I received I feel they are hard to beat. I will use them again the next time the need arises. [Y]

Have you listened closely to switching one pair at a time? I don't recall that you have a separate pre and amp, but the I/C's between them are one place where mine make a definite difference, and I have heard others say the same. I have silver Siltech I/C's, which are outside your budget, and appreciate their special clarity, but they do seem to have a forward treble and make the bass sound a little thinner.

Larry

I use 'wire', I can't afford that fancy schmancy stuff....

Nothing fancy or costly with Blue Jean cables and wire.

Mike

Ain't that the truth. Geezzzz in the world of audiophile cables Blue Jean cables are beyond cheap..... Heck anything below $50 for a 1 meter patch cable is dirt cheap heck many folks spend hundreds on a 1 meter patch cable. To me the key to a good cable is it has no sound...

Craig