$98.87 Toshiba HD-DVD players starting this Friday

el jopez

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit.

VERY old firmware - you guys will want to update this - however the update site is getting HAMMERED right now - your deck will say it can't contact the server, and if you go to their ISO update page, your download will take a few hours (for 35MB).

That being said - I don't know if it will fix my problem anyhow... damn thing ouputs in YCC over HDMI only... there is no way to adjust the colorspace, and I can't find anything concrete in the discussion forums if the version 2.5 firmware fixes this (my deck has v 1.2)

So - if not - back to the store it goes, since my new HK AVR 645 can't play nice with ycc over hdmi... unless someone here says they want it. Will post results after I get the update.

I was trying to talk myself out of buying one today and waiting for the dual players to come down in price..but as the story goes...I went around 8pm hoping that in my little bumkin town they would be all sold out...they weren't in fact about 3 left..not a bad deal with the 5 free dvd's....thanks for the headsup

Got mine along with The Italian Job HD-DVD. Looks pretty sweet and I can't wait to get a newer movie, especially an animated one to see the true capability of this player.

I too have tried and tried downloading the firmware. Looks like I'll have to wait a day or two before I can, I keep getting an error message. SYSTEM OVERLOAD BABY!!

4 hours and I am still updating... was supposed to take 25 minutes. Yay.

I have really had it with the fact that my HK AVR 645 will not accept YCC over HDMI... especially since I now have a device on which I cannot change the colorspace to RGB so I can run it through the HK. The entire reason I bought this unit was because it did HDMI switching. So much for that.

Anyone have one of these and can give me some feedback on it?

Looks like this is what I am going to have to do... http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

Well, I finally gave up, tried 5 different programs to burn the iso, and it finally took. updated the firmware - still have pink screen issues. Half tempted to take it back... really don't want to spend another 100 on an hdmi switch when that is the whole reason I bought the receiver.

I had weird issues where the Italian Job HD-DVD would lock up and I'd get a horribly loud static sound for a few seconds. Nothing other than forcing the DVD player to turn off by holding the power button down for 10 seconds worked. I'm really hoping the firmware update takes care of whatever that problem is.

I was first in line at a Minnesota store when I arrived at 5:30 am on Friday. They had a limit of one per person and they waited until 8:00 am

I updated the firmware from 1.5 to 2.5 after downloading the ISO file ove the net and had no problems. I watched King Kong yesterday and thought it looked good, but I wansnt blown away. I currently have it connected via component cables to my Outlaw 990. On Monday I am going to try hooking it up via a HDMI-DVI cable to the 990 to see if that makes it better.

For $98.00, the HD A2 is a great deal. I probably wont buy a whole lot of HD DVDs, but getting them at my local Blockbuster from time to time. As part of the $98 offer, I get 5 free HD DVDs via a mail in rebate, plus I got 2 free from Wal Mart right away since Best Buy was offering the deal. So, I got the player and 7 DVDs for $100. I am pretty happy with the deal.

I was first in line at a Minnesota store when I arrived at 5:30 am on Friday. They had a limit of one per person and they waited until 8:00 am

I updated the firmware from 1.5 to 2.5 after downloading the ISO file ove the net and had no problems. I watched King Kong yesterday and thought it looked good, but I wansnt blown away. I currently have it connected via component cables to my Outlaw 990. On Monday I am going to try hooking it up via a HDMI-DVI cable to the 990 to see if that makes it better.

For $98.00, the HD A2 is a great deal. I probably wont buy a whole lot of HD DVDs, but getting them at my local Blockbuster from time to time. As part of the $98 offer, I get 5 free HD DVDs via a mail in rebate, plus I got 2 free from Wal Mart right away since Best Buy was offering the deal. So, I got the player and 7 DVDs for $100. I am pretty happy with the deal.

You weren't blown away because I don't think you get the full resolution out of the component jacks, you have to use HDMI to get the full 1080i. The crippled the analog output for copy protection reasons.

*edit* I checked into it, and the actually spec is that the content producers can input a flag that will downconvert video to 540P over component. Not sure if any titles have been released that way though.

You weren't blown away because I don't think you get the full resolution out of the component jacks, you have to use HDMI to get the full 1080i. The crippled the analog output for copy protection reasons.

*edit* I checked into it, and the actually spec is that the content producers can input a flag that will downconvert video to 540P over component. Not sure if any titles have been released that way though.

Currently there are no content producers that I am aware of that use that flag to downconvert to 540p. He should be getting the full 1080i over component.

I was able to get one too. I didn't get to Wally World till 11:30 and they still had 4 left. They said the line was long at 8 but I had no waiting.

I thought the 5 free movie deal was over on Sept 30th. If you guys found a way to get the 5 free movies let me know that would be awsome.

I have mine hooked up with componant and I am getting 1080i. I will be ordering an HDMI from bluejean cables soon tho.

They only had 2 movies that were 15 buck and I had never heard of either of them so I just got Top Gun, and it looks really good.

Steve

I thought the 5 free movie deal was over on Sept 30th. If you guys found a way to get the 5 free movies let me know that would be awsome.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/3/969535/ShowThread.aspx#969535

First post on this page.

I bought the Eagles farewell concert on HD-DVD - they look like they are going to jump off the screen :) Also bought Batman Begins - not nearly as impressed. Filming with actual HD cameras makes a world of difference. Will be buying Star Wars Ep3 shortly - that should be very impressive.

I decided to keep the deck, and am buying the Oppo HDMI switch... not happy about the whole thing with the pink screen, but HK has stonewalled me - so what else can I do? :(

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/3/969535/ShowThread.aspx#969535

First post on this page.

I bought the Eagles farewell concert on HD-DVD - they look like they are going to jump off the screen :) Also bought Batman Begins - not nearly as impressed. Filming with actual HD cameras makes a world of difference. Will be buying Star Wars Ep3 shortly - that should be very impressive.

I decided to keep the deck, and am buying the Oppo HDMI switch... not happy about the whole thing with the pink screen, but HK has stonewalled me - so what else can I do? :(

Oh boy!

My HD-DVD player should be here Thursday and I also have a HK 645.

While I really love the sound of it, the thing has not been very good when it comes to reliability. Your problem does not surprise me, I let you know what mine does.

Actually, I have no complaints with my 645 other than the pink screen. The sound is nothing short of stellar with my RF-35 system... probably the best sounding system I have ever had.

The pink screen ordeal is due to the 645 not accepting YCC colorspace over HDMI. I was able to get around this with my HD-DVR by changing the colorspace to RGB, however - the HD-A2 has no such option. I have been contacting Toshiba daily to ask them to include the option of colorspace changes in their next firmware revision - we will see if they hear me. Apparently a lot of Onkyos also have this issue.

HK has disappointingly stonewalled me on this issue. I have even provided them technical documents which prove that their not supporting of YCC over HDMI makes the receiver NOT HDMI 1.1 compliant as advertised (the option to support RGB didn't even exist until 1.2a, so as of 1.1 - YCC was required). While I love this receiver and will keep it for quite some time - the ability to switch HDMI sources was one of the primary reasons I chose this unit. Had I known then that I would have to buy an external switch, I would have looked at other HK receivers which did not necessarily have HDMI and saved myself a few bucks. Their stonewalling me will also unfortunately have a drastic affect on my next receiver choice. Yes - this is a great receiver, and yes I have and would recommend it - but only with the clear understanding that unless you have colorspace management on your HD gear - do not get it for HDMI switching.