New Eagles cd

dtel

Maybe in their day... but the Eagles would bury them today in a singing contest. jmo...

Do you really believe that Mike ? Not lookin' to argue, but what Eagles do you prefer Long Run, Hotel California, or the new stuff they are doing, or their first early Cowboys in California style ? They have shown atleast 3 different Eagles styles, hard to figure where they are coming from .............. Don Henley has choked the life out of them !!!!!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I just picked this up tonight. We were at Wal Mart and I read about it in this month's Rolling Stone.

Say what you will about the political message, it is a very good CD. At this point I am just happy to be able to buy a well recorded CD that I like, and the recording is very good (at least what I have heard so far).

Yeah, it sounds good....real good......but in the last ten years or so, maybe less, they just can't keep me interested anymore.

They should get made over with lots of tattoos and piercings and pick up the pace a few notches for some good clean family fun. [:P]

Just got home from a business trip to find the remasters of debut, On The Border and Long Run in the mail from YouMusic.com. 3 remastered CDs for less than 25 usd. Listening to Long Run in 2 channel and typing on the laptop, gotta love technology.

The conflict of the Eagles only selling at Walmart is interesting. In this case with 2 cds content a major record label would price it at MSRP of 24.99 which Joe Six pack would never buy. At 11.99 everybody can buy it. Kids could buy it for ma or dad for last Christmas. They also did a very nice job on the fabric cover and artwork which is damn near absent in todays market

As far as talented groups like the Eagles and CSNY one disc is not enough room for them all to contribute. Looking Forward by CSNY was a very well recorded CD and had some good songs but was a bit disjointed, the songs did not flow together well. Crosby and Nash put out a 2 CD set a while back that sounds exceptional.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosby-Nash/dp/B0002IU97Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1212239685&sr=1-4

In regard to the political rant of musicians, as engineer conservative I just consider the source. Talented musician songwriters I have met are all liberal and dwell in a different world but I can still apreciate their music.

Back to Long Road music...

I like the evolution of artists i respect since I was a teenager in the 70s. I see Long Road as a bit back to the roots of the Eagles with country twang and R&B. Stadium rockers and ballads feel from Long Run or Hotel is not present. Joe Walsh slide on Guilty has that honky tonk bar feel. Just a fun song.

Bob Ludwig mastering may not be his best but it is pretty solid.

Considering all the Hip Hop and retread uninvolving metal pretenting to be rock and roll in todays market, this CD is refreshing and more than a keeper in value for the price.

Flynn,

I just ordered teh Crosby Nash CD after listening to the samples on Amazon. Looks liek a good CD.

I hesitated to buy the Eagles CD until my wife insisted that I buy it. I had to explain that most group's reunion CD's are usually pretty bad. I don't think that this is a classic or all time besyt, but for $12 it is very good.

The latest issue of Rollling Stone has the Wal Mart explanation. The Eagles had less interference in the making if the CD. But the big answer. They get $4 per CD which is two times the usual royalty. My calculus is that at $12, they will also sell about three or four times as many (I would not have bought this double CD at $25 or $30). In the end, they probably made about six to eight times what they would have made through a label.

My calculus is that at $12, they will also sell about three or four
times as many (I would not have bought this double CD at $25 or $30).
In the end, they probably made about six to eight times what they would
have made through a label.

==============================

I would not have bought it either at 25 usd.

Another thought....

Lower price may encourage less copying or piracy.

Lower price may encourage less copying or piracy.

I've been saying that for over 2 years, and been told I'm wrong ................ CD's are too expensive, lower pricing has come too late, the Recording Industry is dying a slow death ................... Piracy is another issue ..............

I'm happy for you that find this Eagles double CD Long Road Out Of Eden good. I find it boring... I tried to like it. I had trouble making it through both CDs. It lacks energy to me. It sounds their age to me. I do really like their DVD Hell Freezes Over.

I agree about their age. The interesting thing is that I'm older too, so it works. If I was looking for the Eagles high energy 70's music, this is not it. It is more of their slower sound. I like it at 39 years old, I don't know if I would have liked it at 17 or 22. I also listen to a lot more jazz now.

As far a piracy, probably the wrong age group. Don't know.