jubilee

bodcaw boy

I don't see too many wives saying, "Sure baby, cement in the windows!" Seems to be a common problem. I know I don't have any rooms in my house without windows. 

I looked around here, and the only room without windows is the coat closet. I'm sure Cathy would be thrilled if I moved all my audio gear in there.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see too many wives saying, "Sure baby, cement in the windows!" Seems to be a common problem. I know I don't have any rooms in my house without windows.

The usual wacko responses reflecting the usual degree un-awareness.

I guess you have as many wives saying "Sure baby, spend umpteen thousand dollars on your etherial pre-amp and amps; besides I can't tolerate SS equipment and I know how critical it is for you to have only the best audio electronics as I simply can't tolerate (let alone let the neighbors see that we have) any less...oh, and let's invest the baby's college fund into finding just the right combination of tubes...After all, how could I stand to listen to my Zamfir records on anything less..."

If acoustics is the issue, and a serious discussion was intended, it
would seem that the major contributors might be those who understand
acoustics, and not those for whom acoustics is a little understood
anathema. But wait...I remember where I am now...nevermind...

What should be obvious is that you have rooms that are optimized and you have rooms where tradeoffs must be made. Some roooms designed from inception to be optimal and there are those designed where sound is an afterthought, if even that. And for the latter, more work is involved in attempting to correct for anomalies that were created due to an ignore-ance of the contributing factors.

For most this should be completely obvious. But obviously not for at least one "audiophile" here. Especially for those who spend all of their time debating tubes and solid state as if they are trying to convince themselves.

Its one thing to identify actual anomalies and fundamental causes of the anomalies. It is (obviously) another to actively consider viable solutions.

Treating ( and "covering") flat screened TVs????? Why? They are on the front wall. They are not a significant issue. And even if you could construct an instance where they were, you could simply angle them very slightly and the issue is rendered moot via secondary treatments. (But I bet tubes could solve the problem!)

And windows? This is only a major issue for those who are dealing with exceptionally troublesome rooms that were designed for aesthetics and not audio.

Vibration doesn't matter at all unless it is to a degree where the window is loose and creates noise! And it doesn't take a wizard to figure out how to damp a loose pain of glass! ...Unless they are geniuses who imagine "cement(ing) in the windows" as the only viable treatment!

Fortunately for the majority who don't depend upon their wives advice for resolving acoustical anomalies, the seemingly insurmountable problem faced here is limited to those for whom windows are but the tip of the iceberg of their real problem.

As mentioned earlier, if you have a room and would like a few suggestions regarding how problems can be effectively addressed - if you can provide an accurate floorplan and wall and ceiling diagrams, I would be glad to make a few suggestions...provided you are not trying to create a room without visible speakers or a ceiling mounted system...And with luck you won't even have to get rid of the wife. But I have a few quaint ideas as to what can be done with a bedroom slipper that barks...

it just seemed appropriate.[8-|]

I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I could only be like mas.

I'd unravel every riddle for any individ'le,
In trouble or in pain.
With the thoughts you'll be thinkin' you could be another Lincoln

Oh, I could tell you why the ocean's near the shore.
I could think of things I never thunk before.
And then I'd sit, and think some more.
I would not be just a nothin' my head all full of stuffin'
My heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be a ding-a-derry,

hmmmm, only meant in jest....sort of.....really......Geeked

in Christ, because of God's grace,

roy

ROFLMAO

Its deja vu all over again!

And to think that the historically inappropriate reponse to your (Roy's) post is that of the yapping of a small bedroom slipper that barks!

The irony is hilarious!!!!

what color slipper? it makes a difference you know.....

roy

ROFLMAO

Its deja vu all over again!

And to think that the historically inappropriate reponse to your (Roy's) post is that of the yapping of a small bedroom slipper that barks!

The irony is hilarious!!!!

what color slipper? it makes a difference you know.....

roy

Point taken!

White IS inappropriate! And its after Labor Day to boot....[;)][:P]

Mike TN:

I tried 2' x 4' x 6" bass traps ( http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=products.proddetails∏=RT426B --- plus 3 Owens Corning 703 2" fiberglass panels per bag) in the corner above each speaker, each angled at 45 degrees toward the center of the room. This didn't affect the liveness or width/depth of the soundstage but it made the listening sweet spot much wider, slightly taller and much less sensitive to changes in listening position. Since my ceiling is 9' high I didn't have to rearrange the Jubs to set the bass traps directly on top of the horns toward the driver end; the traps are lightweight enough to do this.

Subsequent to the above results, I laid out floor covering--my floor is tile--which slightly damped the soundstage liveness but increased the vertical dimension of the image. I haven't had a chance to try many other locations for the other two traps I've got but it seems like they do well down low on the left to balance the couch's damping on the right. My wife could really hear a difference

Hey Chris

Sounds like you have made some good progress especially if your listening position isn't being as critical.

When you mention floor covering are you positioning some of them(sounds like you have since you mention an increase in image height being perceived) at what would be the mirror images of the speakers? Try it (pillows, etc... temporarily) if you haven't even if it is something you would maybe just move in and out of place when doing critical listening.

In the past I have benefited treating the mirror reflections of the speakers on the ceiling with KHorns and it might be worth trying with the Jubs also. This is where actually being able to do an ETC measurement of your room would really benefit you.

I really need to find the time to seriously reanalize my room since placeing the Jubs in there. I've moved some treatments around from when I had the Khorns but I need to get it done properly. I've just not been very concerned since things sound really good for my current room limitations.

mike tn[:)]

• Moderators

Mike TN:

I tried 2' x 4' x 6" bass traps ( http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=products.proddetails∏=RT426B --- plus 3 Owens Corning 703 2" fiberglass panels per bag) in the corner above each speaker, each angled at 45 degrees toward the center of the room. This didn't affect the liveness or width/depth of the soundstage but it made the listening sweet spot much wider, slightly taller and much less sensitive to changes in listening position. Since my ceiling is 9' high I didn't have to rearrange the Jubs to set the bass traps directly on top of the horns toward the driver end; the traps are lightweight enough to do this.

Subsequent to the above results, I laid out floor covering--my floor is tile--which slightly damped the soundstage liveness but increased the vertical dimension of the image. I haven't had a chance to try many other locations for the other two traps I've got but it seems like they do well down low on the left to balance the couch's damping on the right. My wife could really hear a difference

Hey Chris

Sounds like you have made some good progress especially if your listening position isn't being as critical.

When you mention floor covering are you positioning some of them(sounds like you have since you mention an increase in image height being perceived) at what would be the mirror images of the speakers? Try it (pillows, etc... temporarily) if you haven't even if it is something you would maybe just move in and out of place when doing critical listening.

In the past I have benefited treating the mirror reflections of the speakers on the ceiling with KHorns and it might be worth trying with the Jubs also. This is where actually being able to do an ETC measurement of your room would really benefit you.

I really need to find the time to seriously reanalize my room since placeing the Jubs in there. I've moved some treatments around from when I had the Khorns but I need to get it done properly. I've just not been very concerned since things sound really good for my current room limitations.

mike tnSmile

All of that sounds like alot of work !

For the best room treatments just use the one wife with 3 girlfriends, even 1 or 2 girlfriends is also an improvement to a room !

Or in your case just add 1 or 2 additional girlfriends to improve any room !

I think you will like and notice a huge difference !

OK here are a few room treatments I'm doing currently or in the past.

Klipschorn Jubilee and ceiling treatments rack I built so that I can experiment with placement and different treatment options like absorption and diffusion on the ceiling. The rack is adjustable in height and the copper bars can be moved at will.

mike tn

post-14473-13819354694006_thumb.jpg

For the best room treatments just use the one wife with 3 girlfriends, even 1 or 2 girlfriends is also an improvement to a room !

Or in your case just add 1 or 2 additional girlfriends to improve any room !

I think you will like and notice a huge difference !

If you can co-ordinate that setup to sound good (as opposed to looking good) and not give you a headache, my hat's off to you! [;)]

Some of the right wall treatments. I like using the RPG Skyline instead of absorption at the mirror image reflection(left Jubilee on right wall) point. It creates a much more realistic size images versus an absorber and in my particular situation tonal balance is better versus an absorber also.

I also use ASC Studio Traps on the side and back area as well as more RPG Skyline Diffusers on the back wall.

post-14473-13819354694566_thumb.jpg

The usual pathetic crap you aim towards me is of no consequence or importance, Mas. I never answer it. But don't go all "Ted Bundy" on me here by bringing my wife and dogs into your vile and sick postings, ok? This world is filled with deranged sociopaths sitting behind keyboards, and it isn't easy to distinguish the simply foul-mouthed boors from the truely deranged and dangerous sociopaths. I take no chances either way.

What you direct at me is simply silly, pathetic and meanlingless drivel, but when you start to make odius references to my wife and dogs I am going to have to ask you to refrain. Got it?

You're married???? And you have dogs????

I referred to YOUR reference that I quoted about wives wanting windows cemented up.

Funny , as the tools I employ don't have a "wife function" like yours do.

Perhaps you might want to go back and read your own post, and the section I quoted.

And as regards dogs, my reference was to little dogs that simply yap and make noise regarding absurd objections to windows in listening rooms and to the heinous(sic) problems they represent to audiophiles. I referred to your avatar. You might also want to go back and refresh your memory that you are the one who uses it to represent yourself on the forum.

Methinks thou doest protest too much.

But then you never have gotten over my outrageous and heretical 'living on the edge' assertion that it is possible for both tube and SS amps, operated in their linear range of operation, to sound good.

And its funny how quickly you forget your unsolicited attack regarding me in the previous bi-amping thread that I did not take part in until the end, long after your diatribe.

As you also said that you do not have any rooms without windows, I would suggest that you have more things to worry about, as witnessed by your phobia regarding windows in listening rooms.

But now we will hear about my attacking your windows...

I wish anything you said was worth worrying about except in a humorous fashion.

But I did take your earlier lecture on morality seriously, and now I do all my shopping at Target. And I sleep so well now too! Thanks![:P]