jubilee

bodcaw boy

Wait till you set up and have a half dozen presets that you can choose from for the different kinds of recordings you have or for different volume levels. It would really be hard for me to go back at this point -- losing the control would annoy the crap out of me.

Oh no!! Please don’t plant such a thought in my mind. Push it away tc, do not dwell on such things. Friendless, divorced, exiled, banned, excommunicated………….

I am waay too obsessive compulsive, dyslexic, ADD, and…….left-handed, to entertain thoughts of having active control of a system.

As it is, I catch h*ll (WAF) for never listening to an entire CD. I play the best sounding cuts. Usually, only one cut from a CD, then something else. At times, only the first 30 seconds of a cut.

I can see me now with a total active system. At first, certain setting for every CD, then, for every cut, then, for every sax passage,…… guitar run, ……….and bass riff.

I’m afraid that it would never end for me. With enough control, I suspect that I would remix everything listened to, to compliment my room and gear. I must try and find a support group for my particular illness. In the LR, I listen to source quality and the ability of my gear/room to reproduce it as I think it should sound. Music? That is something that I listen to in the car. The guys at Hope ’06 helped me, and my visit with seti and Kaiser was huge in my ongoing recovery. Not to say that we didn’t listen to outstanding recordings through fantastic gear, but at times, we simply listened to good music.

Must admit that I am making progress. Dr. Cullison visited me at “Camp Alcorn” a few weeks ago, and we DID listen to music for music’s sake, at reasonable SPL’s, for several hours.

My name is Terry, and I am cut-aholic……

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any more on the ACTUAL sound of these badboys?Broken Heart

Sure. I will tell you how the Jubilee sounded to me, and do it in detail.Yes

But first you gotta tell me how the Smilinwalls sound. In detail.Stick out tongue

tc

Agreed. Also a picture of them set up in your house.

jc

How about these? Jubs, Crown XTI-1000s and a RTA/EQ. Opinions? (Gently, please.)

Sweet!

Not that it matters that much with the constant directivity, but you might experiment with tilting them 402's down a bit (focusing that spotlight on the listening position). What kind of RTA/EQ are you running? Is it parametric?

Is it just me or something about the room, or do those Jubs actually look like a "regular" size speaker cabinet. They really tuck into the corners nicely.

Enjoy them!

-Tom

Was thinking the same thing, Tom. I must be catching the disease, because they don't look big at all. In my living room they would look HUGE!

I'm using an UltracurvePro DEQ 2496 (the RTA works in the graphic mode). An AV preamp is on order. My prior setup included Khorn clones (actually Shinalls) which are extremely nice looking in these corners (i.e., high WAF). There is no mistaking the presence of the Jubs - they grab your attention in basic black.

The Jubs are breaking in and sounding sweeter and more natural daily. If you haven't heard Jubs in a real living room environment, all I can say is that you have got to hear them first hand. My wife mentioned that she had never heard such effortless deep bass while she was listening to Patricia Barber's A Fortnight in France. The upper horn/driver unit really distinguishes itself from the Khorns- piano and female voices sound much more natural on the Jubs than the Khorns. I'm still looking to experiment with bass traps to see what, if any effect these will have for this room. Bass traps are low WAF, however...

The room dimensions are 15.5 ft W x 9 ft H x 39.5 ft D with some intrusion into the rectangular floor plan by the room under the stair on the right. Although this arrangement isn't supposed to work as well along the short dimension, I find that the depth of the room adds depth and presence for these big voices. Charles-Marie Widor's Toccata in F (organ) is literally a religious experience.

Chris