Zebrawood Jubilee

mikebse2a3

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are you going to do with the "rough" sides of the wood?

Paul

What rough sides?[:D]

Actually Paul the Zebrawood was so good that I didn't need to plane them down to 3/4". So all I did was cut and glue the 2 boards together to make both front panels and sanded them because I do like the look of the thicker panels. I have used Formby's Tung Oil (low gloss) for the Finish.

The Zebrawood is really hard for me to photograph the grain and color properly and looks so much better in person.

mike tn

post-14473-1381935407282_thumb.jpg

My understanding is that it will probably not happen. Besides, would it be worth the performance loss by going to a smaller horn? Surprise

Mounting a different size/type horn is optional from what I understand...with all the DIYers here, using an Altec, JBL, or even round or rectangle Edgarhorns could possibly fill the needs of the many (or the one) depending on room size, etc.

Aye, but going with different size/type of HF horns is going to introduce all sorts of changes in performance too. I think most of the people that have heard the Jubilee all feel that the real homerun is the K402 HF. It wouldn't be possible without the Jubilee LF, but the mids is where the music is at.

But I totally agree, the Jub LF is a tweekers dream as it opens the possibility to all sorts of HF configurations. I also agree that if Klipsch were to ever fully market the speaker to the home audio world, that it would require nicer aesthetics (like that fancy wooden HF horn). The point at which aesthetics overrule performance are going to be different for everyone.

Very nice Mike -- what, you got tired of the rhinoceros hide finish? :)

[:D] Actually I had the basic idea for this and mentioned it to Richard on the drive back from Pilgrimage 06 when I first decided to buy them and I thought it would be a good challenge for me to see if I could pull it off.

mike tn

i think that miketn is getting ready to pop the question.......i mean what woman on earth would not want those gorgeous beauties. right mrs rigmatoni?

in Christ, because of God's grace,

roy

Roy contrary to what some might think Linda is definitly proof that you can have Jubs and a girlfriend at the same time![:D]

mike tn

They look awesome Mike.

My wife would absolutely LOVE this. Unfortunately, I'm not a wood worker.

I may have missed it, but how are you planning to hold the zebrawood boards in place?

Bob

Hey Bob

It's hard to explain but I intend to use a subframe that will be supported from the top and locked in at the back of the cabinet.

I'll try to document things as I proceed and post the results.

mike tn