Zebrawood Jubilee

mikebse2a3

• Moderators

That looks great, so now there are 2 pretty pairs, yours and Rigma's in 2 different flavors also, both look great !

Seems no one wants to cover that big perty horn though, I like the way it looks just like that, kind of hard to not stare at !

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless I missed the boat somewhere along the way, will Klipsch ever produce the consumer wood veneered 2-way Jubilees like the model depicted in the photo alongside the man himself?

My understanding is that it will probably not happen. Besides, would it be worth the performance loss by going to a smaller horn? [:o]

So what's the plan, Mike, with the rest of the speaker? You going with something similar to what Rigma put together, or another route? I dig the zebrawood. [Y]

I was looking at a zebrawood cornwall project garymd did and they look just fantastic. I can only image what a finished zebrawood jube could look like all decked out, very nice!

Gary's Cornwalls came from the factory that way and he bought them new in 1980 I think. I believe you are referring to the Heresy's he had reveneered in Zebrawood to match them. This was done by Forum member Greg (can't remember forum name) and they are now owned by Chuck (ColonialHoo), who also has a refurbished Scott 299 I sold him around the same time.

Mike

Mike, them are starting to look stunning!!!!!

You're taking away some of the Jubilee haters ammunition!!

Yes

Thanks Richard

Performance is First in my book and always will be !!!!! I have said and still do like the looks of the Jub as I received it and have been in no hurry to change it but the Jubilee can IMO be so beautiful in many different ways and I wanted to explore what I could do with it.

I see so many parallels with the early beginings of the Khorn and the beginings of the Jubilee and it is IMHO as Roy said going to take more effort if you want the Jubilee but all I can say to anyone is if there was ever a speaker worth pursuing it is the Jubilee.

mike tn

Thanks to every one for the kind remarks!

Again this is just an early picture of what is to come and will take some time. It would have been much easier to just sand the front panel and veneer it and add grilles but I want to keep them original since these were the first Two Way Jubs put into a home so that creates some challenges that I believe I can solve.

So I'm just begining to look at wood and places to get it when I came face to face with Two large Zebrwood boards and I felt it was one of those meant to be things and so now the Project Begins!

The front panel will be Zebrawood and I will also be using Miurapixuna wood (the heartwood is black) for some Trim and it does contrast the Zebrawood in a very nice way. Then I will make some Black Grilles (Using the Heritage Cloth) for the Jubilee LF Horn. I love the raw look of the K402 and I do have some ideas for some things I might want to do for the Top Section but no grille cloth over the K402 for me.

mike tn[:D]

They look great! Are you doing the work yourself? My wife is here looking at these pictures. She says that those would look pretty good in the living room. Paul

Hi Paul

Yes I'm doing all the work.

As far as looks well all I can say is I'm firmly in the HORN GUY'S CLUB ( Roy[;)])

mike tn

Dr Who wrote:

So what's the plan, Mike, with the rest of the speaker? You going with something similar to what Rigma put together, or another route? I dig the zebrawood

Pictures of Rigma's are beautiful but to see them in person is to really appreciate their beauty.

Mine will be different though since I have some different ideas going on.

mike tn

Those Zebrawood veneer panels are amazing. Where did you pick those up? I have been looking at veneer online to see what I am putting on my khorns. The Mesquite, Zebrawood, and some of the burls are what I am considering for veneer. Can't wait to see it finished. You and Rigma are going to have the best looking Klipschorn Jubilee's around.

Where do you get zebrawood and other exotic veneers?

JJK

Actually I'm using nearly one inch thick (4/4) solid Zebrawood not veneer for my front panel.

As far as getting veneers you can do a google seach and come up some places. Woodcraft has some and I found one reasonably local seller who has many different woods and veneers. I'm sure Greg mentioned above and some others might can point you into good places to get veneers.

I will mention one thing because of the dollar value and imported exotic wood the cost is going up pretty fast so if anyone is thinking of doing any projects from imported wood you might want to look into it now.

mike tn

" Actually I'm using nearly one inch thick (4/4) solid Zebrawood not veneer for my front panel."

WOW thats almost as rare as a Jubilee !

I really do feel this was a rare find.

I told my girlfriend that I would like to start looking for some wood (maybe exotic) to use for the Jubilee fronts so we went by the local woodcraft store and as I began looking at a few examples of their veneers and solid woods my eye's caught sight of these two perfect boards (obviously cut from the same portion of the tree) for my project. So here we are!!!!

mike tn

My understanding is that it will probably not happen. Besides, would it be worth the performance loss by going to a smaller horn? Surprise

Mounting a different size/type horn is optional from what I understand...with all the DIYers here, using an Altec, JBL, or even round or rectangle Edgarhorns could possibly fill the needs of the many (or the one) depending on room size, etc.

Personally, I still think Klipsch should reconsider offering a consumer wood-veneered Jubilee...if I was in the market and had the space I'd buy them! I'd like to think there are way more Klipsch owners who'd like to own the Jubilees over the new megabuck Palladium P-39F floorstanders, but that's just my opinion.