KPT-MWM & KPT-402 2-way system for home use

mark1101

I thought that instead of trying to "belong" in the various threads on Jubilees and such......I'd just start this for various information exchange and conversation. They are definitely nice conversation pieces and they can sure perform well in a home (well my basement). First, a couple of shots. The room is 15' wide and has an 11' ceiling.

post-12535-13819354113836_thumb.jpg

Another. Right now I am using a Behringer active crossover and Crown XTI-1000 amp for the HF. I have a second Crown XTI-1000 in route for the bass cabinets I am using a Juicy Music Peach preamp and a Jolida JD-100 CD player. The Dish Sirius channels sound great as well as digital music from my PC. Surprisingly to me the bass cabinets take less power to sound authoritative than the HF horns. The MWM bins are excellent. Very controllable and well behaved, no boominess. I am very very happy with them. They have BEC K-33 clones in them.

post-12535-13819354116076_thumb.jpg

It reminds me of the pics of small jazz cafes in Japan in the 60's and 70's. They had very small rooms but large Altec including voice of the theater and ProJBL systems. Very cool. System efficiency must be extremely high any idea how efficient? You know what PWK said about high efficiency and low distortion :)

Hi Mark,

When you get your other XTi, are you going to bi-amp, using the crossover and PEQ in the Crowns instead of the Behringer? If so, Roy can probably provide the settings for the XTi's.

On my Jubilees and LSLF/402HF (JubScala), the input is Channel A for each amp and the Channel A output drives the Jubilee LF (or LS LF) and the Channel B output drives the 402/K69.

All three XTi 1000's are driven by either a Denon 2808Ci or a 70's vintage Audionics BT-2 preamp without a "bump box" and work just fine. I powered up the KPT-884 this last weekend and that thing is amazing.

Well, I was kind of kidding. But the fact is they are big. The room is 26' long and the speakers take up about 5-6 feet of it. They are deep and wide. But......they can be ***** cats.......or.........LIONS. With the Behringer and individual amps the system control is very flexible. For example, I have experimented and programmed a few different crossover filter types with different slopes and saved as presets for various types of music, for various listening levels, etc. All at the push of a button to switch and optimize. It's so easy.......so much fun to operate, makes so much sense to me. I never thought I would own a two way system like this, but it sounds very coherent and natural. The clarity is surprising. I'm still learning how to use it and am still trying different amps, topologies, combinations, etc. I A/B with a very respectable pair of LaScalas that have very nice passive networks to spot myself with this new system.......and it's pretty much a joke in comparison. Low volumes, high volumes, rock, blues, jazz. Heck I put on some old big band stuff by accident and actually left it on it sounded so good. Like I said I am still learning but so far so good.

Bill,

My first goal is to get rid of the Art Cleanbox. I modded mine and immediately heard an improvement, but the Peach can't drive the Behringer (no way), so I have to have it right now. It definitely would sound better without it. If I find the Peach can drive the Crowns directly I will experiment to see what sounds best. One issue I have is that the crossover functionality would reside in 2 amps instead of one unit. I described how I use the system now. I will have to learn if the Crowns can be as flexible......if it matters.....and what sounds best. I'd like to have the fewest components......but I'm really liking the outboard crossover right now.

I want to hear about that big sub. I have room for one right in the middle of my MWMs.

Well, I was kidding with Bill. That 884 is one big bad sub. Not sure my house would be able to handle that. But.....one reason I built what I have is that it is compatible with much of the cinema line. I am shooting for a killer 2 ch system......but could move towards HT and have a lot of compatible components to choose from.

I want some like that when I grow up !

All in good time dtel. You'll be a big boy before you know it. Enjoy your carefree time while you can. Who knows... maybe if you're a good boy, Santa will put a BIG trailer on his sleigh...

[*-)]

seek therapy, this has to one of the more outrageous home systems I have ever seen, well done. I have a pair of RF-52's and an RC-52 in a 12X8 room w/a 10 foot ceiling. Seems to fill my room well enough, then again I live in a condo with really soundproofed walls

• Moderators

I want some like that when I grow up !

All in good time dtel. You'll be a big boy before you know it. Enjoy your carefree time while you can. Who knows... maybe if you're a good boy, Santa will put a BIG trailer on his sleigh...

Confused

Already have a big and medium trailer, Santa should know these things ! [*-)]

Although Santa did bring me a new table saw yesterday. [:D]

Could be worse at least I am potty trained ! [A]

But refuse to grow up, ask anyone in my family.