Need some opinions

Tom_E

I'm brainstorming alot lately. I am thinking about buying some new gear, and when i write new, i mean new, not used.

The plan i to buy a new McIntosh MC-275, and new speakers. Now i have the RF-82's. I am thinking of upgrading to the 83¨s or Cornwall III.

I know that 99 % of you is gonna scream Cornwall, but i really like my RF-82's and i think the 83's are a nice upgrade.

Haven't heard any heritage, but i think the Cornwall is a better speaker, but is it better for me?

The price for a pair of new RF-83 is 4400-4500 USD and Cornwall II is about 6900-7000 USD in Norway.

I use my 2 ch for stricktly music use only. I usaly listen to rock/metal and sometimes techno/dance.

I also have a RW-12D bass in the corner for those low hz.

Is the Cornwall worth 2500 USD more?

Any ideas? :)

Yeah, though about those too, but i rather choose Cornwall. I think the new 15" bass on them should sound really nice.

But truth be told, i havent heard a single heritage speaker, so i don't know. I hope there is someone here who have heard the RF-83 and the Cornwall III, so they could tell me what they think about the differances.

As to the particulars I have spent time with the RF 7's, 5's etc. and own Cornwalls but I think maybe we should rethink your question.

First there is room size. I suspect the 83's will work better in a smaller room, and Cornwalls do sound their best near a corner or wall and with a little room to breathe. Also the Reference line really is marketed (and probably voiced) as more of a HT speaker.with good WAF appeal.

Then you mention you're picking up a Mac tube amp.

Then there's a question of weather you are going to be churning your system or do you intend to hold onto the speakers for along time.

My own opinion, but if you have a nice size room, tube amplification, your not interesting in trading in for a new sound every year or two, and your primary concern is music, not movie, fidelity than the Cornwalls are the way to go and the extra money you spend will yield a commensurate sonic pleasure.

Cornie and tubes, yummie, RF's not so sure.

Interesting question. Thebes, I think has offered some good advice.

The Heritage speakers just offer a "different" reference sound. Which is "better" is completely a subjective preference.

It would be great if there is some way you can hear the Cornwalls before making the decision.

Another thought. I do believe the 83's are a two-way and the cornies are a 3 way. Many believe a 2-way is an overall purer sound. One thing about the Cornies they do tend to empahize the mids a bit proably producing a "fatter" sound if that makes any sense to you.

I'm thinking a holiday to Holland to hear Timmikids stuff is in order. He's got Mac gear and Khorns!

They've also got a really good selection of cheese in Holland. Really close by too. Take a boat south, hang a right at Liberia , take a train north to Andora, a bus to Brussel Sprouts and a 3 speed bike to the nearest windmill. Can't miss it.[:D]

I have heard the Heresy IIIs (I like them better than Heresys and Heresy IIs...and I own BEC upgraded Heresys, a DeanG Heresy (center) and my brother has Heresy IIs)...and they are very nearly Cornwall IIIs...of course I mean they are the much better deal in my "ears" than the Cornwall IIIs for the price...and I liked the Cornwall III.

Bill

I will add that I happen to prefer the 3 way Heritage sound to the 2 way Reference (using KHorn, Quartet, Heresys to RB5s for my comparison)...for me, listening to 2 way RB5s sounds fine...until I compare it to my Quartets or Heresys and I find "the missing middle" but I am predisposed to like the 3 way Heritage sound (having heard FAR more of this speaker type than the 2 way Reference type) but you have to decide...especially when putting out that kind of cash..."rabid" fans on both sides...good luck,

Bill

Cornwall II is about 6900-7000 USD in Norway

I dont know how the price might translate, BUT... if you have the space, you are definately getting into the dollar range where I'd suggest looking into Jubilees. They'll be priced a bit less because they have more of an industrial finish, instead of furniture finish however, the money you are paying for is going into the SOUND and not so much into the looks.

I've heard all the above but I'm (clearly) biased so I'll shut up on "which one might sound better" because to me, it's a no-brainer.

Seriously... if you are looking at roughly $7,000 USD for Cornwalls then I'd at least find out what the incremental cost is for a pair of Jubilees and make an educated decision.

This does presuppose that you have the room for them AND are more into the sound aspect than strictly the asthetics of it (although I DO like the looks of the Jubilees)

Richard, $7000 USD in Norway -- a pair in the US routinely sell for less than $3000.

I'm confused... he lives in Norway? Pricing for a pair of CW III's in Norway is (per him) about $7,000?

If Ralph can buy a pair of Jubilees in England for say, $7,500 (I don't know his exact price), then if a pair can be had in Norway for "similar" money, I'd suggest it's an easy call and easily worth the effort to find out.

no??

It doesn't matter what they trade for in the US if he's buying them in Norway.

I owned a pair of RF7's for about 6 months and traded them for LaScala's. I much prefer the Heritage sound. It's a fuller, more real sound to me.

I went from Khorns to RF-7's and had to get Khorns again. I also recall auditioning La Scala's, and Belle's which I thought were not as good as the Khorns. The progression would be towards the Heritage line I would think.

If the prices for Norway are as quoted, then clearly there is a high tax placed on importing them into the country. Your "if" is a big one since England and Norway are completely separate and different governmental entities(to paraphrase you it also doesn't matter what they trade for in England if he's buying them in Norway). I took his post as being the prices that he could get from a dealer there, which due to additional factors relating to the cost of business there may also raise the price. It may be possible that by purchasing Klipsch from a US dealer, then bearing the cost of shipping and importing into Norway, he could get a better deal. This would be up to him to investigate. It might also be possible he would rather not go through all of that hassle and prefers to buy from a dealer there.

I hit the quote button the first time, and the edit time, and still no quote. This post refers to coytee's post, fyi.

I hit the quote button the first time, and the edit time, and still no quote. This post refers to coytee's post, fyi.

Forums lessons 101, how to make quotes, starts next week... [6]

I think some are also missing something... the (insert speaker) will typically go through some dealer channels whereas it's possible (key word) that the Jubilee will fall more outside those channels as they'd possible get some special treatment by Klipsch.

All I'm saying is... if $7,000 is an approximate cost for some new speakers then it's worth a converstation with Roy as to how much a pair of Jubilees might cost...heck, for all I know, it might cost them $25,000 to get them there. Then again... if, because of the unique order, they are more in line with what Ralph paid (and I only used him because he lives outside the US) then I still maintain it's at least worth looking into. Oh, and doesn't England also tax things highly? (honest question...I seem to recall him making comment about import duties)

This IS all predicated on him having an interest AND room for what some people, other than Cra??, feel to be the pinnacle of PWK's endeavours. [6]

What's the worst that can happen if he does as I suggest?

A) find out they're close enough to his budget (with presumed interest) and buy them

B) find out they're STILL way outside his budget and not buy them

Either way, won't hurt to find out given the quote on the Cornwalls. If of course, he's got ZERO interest or room for plug uglies then it would make no sense to find out.

All my opinion of course... well...other than what Cra?? seems to think [;)]