Older Klipsch Speakers. Why Are They Worth $$

Klipsch-daddy

I'm a layperson...I read an interesting story about Harvey Klipsch (don't remember the source). Leonard Bernstein and wife ordered a set of Klipsch speakers and went to Hope, Arkansas to see/pick them up. Harvey was on the floor messing around with wires (butt crack showing as the story goes) when Leonard asked, "Harvey, why haven't you changed the design on your speakers in so many years?" Harvey slowly turned around, looked up, and said, "Well, Leonard, as far as I know they haven't changed the laws of physics in the last 50 years." Or something like that!

Hahaha.  You must have not heard them?  That would answer your question.  As others have said, the performance for the price on my LCR of LaScalas and Heresy rears is just not available.  In fact, I'm guessing you'd have to spend 10 times the budget to best them.  Maybe a full blown JTR setup?  But mine have been enough to make me stop even worrying about something better.  I also love that they have a history.  Mine are 40 years old.  There's a pride of ownership that comes with that.  I'm not sure I would trade for any other system?

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 1:28 PM, Johnnn said:

I'm a layperson...I read an interesting story about Harvey Klipsch (don't remember the source). Leonard Bernstein and wife ordered a set of Klipsch speakers and went to Hope, Arkansas to see/pick them up. Harvey was on the floor messing around with wires (butt crack showing as the story goes) when Leonard asked, "Harvey, why haven't you changed the design on your speakers in so many years?" Harvey slowly turned around, looked up, and said, "Well, Leonard, as far as I know they haven't changed the laws of physics in the last 50 years." Or something like that!

Who the flip is Harvey Klipsch??

• Haha 3

On 2/21/2022 at 2:28 PM, Johnnn said:

you mean Paul klipsch , not Harvey klipsch

• Like 1

Just yesterday I read a very useful thread post discussing the value of speakers, both in subjective and monetary terms. I thought by sharing this post here, it might help others here better understand what true speaker value means in today's market. Now, please understand that this link does not discuss Klipsch or heritage, vintage, or used speakers. What you can do is weigh your own thoughts about your own speakers against the other speakers that are evaluated in the link below. I have not heard most of these speakers myself, have not checked the validity of the content creator, or even checked on the pricing. What I have done is decided that for me, My older Klipsch heritage speakers just went up in value, in my opinion. I think that after you read the first few posts in this link, you will have a greater understanding  of just a few of the driving forces impacting the resale values of these older Klipsch speakers.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/passive-speaker-recommendations-for-usa-by-sweetchaos.28296/

It would be fun to hear from some of you where you think your own speakers would fit in, if they were included in the evaluation.

It should be noted that someone bumped a nearly 20 year old thread.....and the huge take-away is the same answer: They are simply fantastic speakers, plain and simple. 

You may see debates from "audiophiles" on forums like AVS who claim Klipsch are overrated, but those arguments are almost never from someone who owns hi end Klipsch speakers (the stuff made in China is a different story). Whenever there is a debate over something being overrated, it is usually a sign that that something is pretty darn good. Klipsch are widely loved for a reason. In my car, I have more modern RF 7's and doubt I will ever upgrade, as I'm very satisfied with what I have.

Not only are the speakers great performers, but they require hardly any power, in my case I was able to power mine with just an SVR after my overhyped Emotiva amp crapped out after 6 years.  

17 hours ago, Dr_jitsu said:

Klipsch speakers (the stuff made in China is a different story).  I have more modern RF 7's

klipsch  manufacture  quite a lot of speaker components  in China --as an example the RF7 III woofers /HF  are  Made in China .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The heritage speakers are just that!  Something your kids and grand kids may be enjoying long after you are gone!  They are built to last!  Knowing this elevates the amount of WANT that you have for them!  I have experienced the Klipsch pro sound speakers in action but never heard a set of La Scala's in someone's living room...but I absolutely want a set for my self!  Someday.  Keep dreaming big, Rocket!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, RocketFoot said:

The heritage speakers are just that!  Something your kids and grand kids may be enjoying long after you are gone!  They are built to last!  Knowing this elevates the amount of WANT that you have for them!  I have experienced the Klipsch pro sound speakers in action but never heard a set of La Scala's in someone's living room...but I absolutely want a set for my self!  Someday.  Keep dreaming big, Rocket!

Keep putting money aside, and you’ll have a pile of cash before you know it.  Meanwhile, keep checking the listings in the Garage Sale section, as well as USAudiomart, as well as any other online listings.  Many La Scalas have been built over the decades since they came out in 1963, so they regularly appear for sale.  Does your city have a vintage hi-fi shop, a shop that sells all kind of older gear?  That’s where I found my La Scalas, just a 10-minute drive from my place, and the price was right.