P39 or Jubilee's---------HELP!!!!

smilin

"...this speaker [P39] is the pinnacle of modern-day horn-loaded technology..."

LOL!

Just to clarify, I don't see how you can have "the pinnacle of modern-day horn-loaded technology" while using a bass reflex cabinet.

They probably are referring to the midrange clarity and its integration with the other drivers. JBL also choose to go with bass reflex woofers in their Mt. Everest statement speakers ($30,000). It is interesting that the folks on the Heritage forum have embraced the Mt. Everest speakers.

In my experience, I remember my old horns sounded good at a specific volume. They tended to fall apart at high volumes, and the "air" or separation would go away during complex passages at most volumes. The soundstage was also very wide, but 2 dimensional and the instruments and vocals seemed to get bigger at louder volumes, rather than just louder. As a dislaimer I had the stock horns and driver, but you see what I am getting at as far as refinement of the midrange drivers.

That being said, they were outstanding speakers for $2,000 to $3,000. I had just as much fun owning them as I have with my present speakers, and that is what this is all about.

I think that Mark hit his right. It reminds me if the 60's muscle cars vs new sports cars debates. New sports cars cannot beat a supercharged big block in a straight line (some can), but they can do so many other things right.

When the Palladium gets released, Klipsch really needs to form a separate categories on these forums. Maybe a Heritage section and a Palladium section. Otherwise it will just be a constant flame war and potential Palladium owners have many other choices in that price range (and forums to discuss their new toys).

Nice post.

What, you really think that in virtually every other thread started by a new (and perhaps satisfied) Palladium owner, you would have Jub owners swarming in to tell them that they could have had four superior speakers for the price of two fancy ones? [*-)]

Nah, that wouldn't happen in here, would it?

Carl.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

What is more important looks or sound ?

For the price you could get Jubilee's with a kpt 884 sub with an active setup with amps,......or the P39's !

One is big and takes up more space and will shake your house and the other is tall and slim and really nice looking ( we are talking about speakers ) don't get sidetracked with that last description.

Is there any way you could try to go hear both, with the cost of either it would be the nice to hear them first.

I have only heard one of them, but I have seen both, not a fair way to judge. I can only judge it to all the Heritage and ref, and other speakers I have heard.

Ask the people who has heard them if you can't, if all you have to go on is opinion it would have to be from people who has listened to both. If you went by just specs the jub,884 would win, just by looks p39.

I don't know there answer but Roy, Trey and Maby Coulter has heard them both, tell them what you are looking for and expect and see what they say ?

Ask bhendrix what he thinks of the kpt884.

If someone has not heard either how can they even begin to give an opinion ? looks alone ?

To use the sports car or monster truck comparison you would have to be going on looks alone, is that how you would judge speaker ?

• Moderators

" When the Palladium gets released, Klipsch really needs to form a separate categories on these forums. Maybe a Heritage section and a Palladium section. Otherwise it will just be a constant flame war and potential Palladium owners have many other choices in that price range (and forums to discuss their new toys). "

I don't think this would be a problem, they are designed and marketed for people who are looking for two different things, you would not buy a Jubilee if you were particular about your speakers fitting in with you decor.[:o]

I mean, think about it, why else would the company have both of these so-called flagships?

The audiophool industry is driven by aesthetics.

The audiophile industry is driven by sound.

I suspect one speaker plays GINORMOUSLY LOUD and goes BOOM BOOM real good

You suspect wrong.

my visual analogy was simply supposition based upon all the comments I've picked up

Really?!? [:o]

What is more important looks or sound ?

For the price you could get Jubilee's with a kpt 884 sub with an active setup with amps,......or the P39's !

To use the sports car or monster truck comparison you would have to be going on looks alone, is that how you would judge speaker ?

I am assuming that Klipsch, with the benefit of many years of R&D and studying what else is out there, can back up their claim and did in fact build a speaker that is in the same league as their competition (Wilson, Revel, B&W). I also assume that the typical midrange and tweeter (if 3 way) that is used on a Jubilee system is not a design that was formulated using new technology in a multi million dollar facility by a team of engineers.

So, yes, for the price, if the P39's are in the same league as their competitors, I'd probably take the P39's over the Jubilees (I could have bought Jubilees instead of B&W's).

The sports car comparison is not based on looks. Please read the thread on the Tekton single driver speakers. A lot of people here went crazy for these speakers. They have almost no bass or treble extension, but they have such a solid midrange. Vocals, instruments and imaging have a quality on these little speakers that is not present in the older Heritage. Many here have backed this up. I bought a pair and agree, but 800 series B&W's are much better at everything that the Tektons do and have bass and treble extension. I think that was the goal of the P39 (to the extent that they are trying to break into a specific market segment).

I do not buy audio (or anything for that matter) on an impulse. I saw a local add for a pair of 20 year old B&W's. I went to hear them just out of curiosity with no intention of buying as I was very content with my K Horns. I wound up buying them. Within one week I bought a pair of 801's. I really want to hear a pair of the P39's...

• Moderators

" No, I didn't mean looks at all as the analogy with the Monster Truck vs. Ferrari. I suspect one speaker plays GINORMOUSLY LOUD and goes BOOM BOOM real good, whereas perhaps the other speaker has more overall finesse with the "rest of the musical spectrum" once you get past the kick drums. Obviously, the proof is in the hearing, so my visual analogy was simply supposition based upon all the comments I've picked up. I mean, think about it, why else would the company have both of these so-called flagships? "

That statement about how you suspect one of them sounds shows you have no idea of how it really sounds !

I don't know you and would guess you are a nice guy, BUT how can someone be so predisposed to not like something they have never heard ?

I am not trying to pick a fight but I don't understand, please explain how you can make assumptions about something you never heard, I have never heard the P39 and said I can't judge it. All i went on was how the Jub sounds compared to all other Heritage and 95% of the reference I have heard.

What is going to happen when the Klipschorn Jubilee becomes popular ( about 10 people own them now) and you have to actually have to compare the sound yourself ? How would feel if after actually hearing them and you " possibly" like them.

We have never met , and I don't make commission on Jubs, or own them, so I ask these questions honestly. At least be open minded to something you have never tried, you make be suprised in the end ?

The ginormously loud and goes boom boom was funny though I have to admit, but as far from the truth as could be, finesse is really a better description, but not by looks, they look like your description if you go just on how they look !

I do not buy audio (or anything for that matter) on an impulse. I saw a local add for a pair of 20 year old B&W's. I went to hear them just out of curiosity with no intention of buying as I was very content with my K Horns. I wound up buying them. Within one week I bought a pair of 801's. I really want to hear a pair of the P39's...

Do you want to hear the Jubilee too? If not, I would be curious to know why...

• Moderators

" I also assume that the typical midrange and tweeter (if 3 way) that is used on a Jubilee system is not a design that was formulated using new technology in a multi million dollar facility by a team of engineers."

It's a 2 way and it was designed in a Klipsch facility, but by mostly just two engineers, Roy and PWK and I would guess they did use some new technology along the way ?

" I also assume that the typical midrange and tweeter (if 3 way) that is used on a Jubilee system is not a design that was formulated using new technology in a multi million dollar facility by a team of engineers."

It's a 2 way and it was designed in a Klipsch facility, but by mostly just two engineers, Roy and PWK and I would guess they did use some new technology along the way ?

I didn't know that. I have not been following the Jubilee threads (they all seem to be flame wars). The last time I followed the threads, there was discussion as to what driver and horn to use, 3 way vs 2 way, etc.

I am familiar with the photo of PWK with the Jubilee that has the wood horn on top. Is that the one?

I mean, think about it, why else would the company have both of these so-called flagships?

Perhaps because one was PWK's vision of an engineering pinnacle achievement and the other is the pinnacle achievement with the marketing department also involved? (which if so, is NOT a bad idea)

Perhaps not... For all I know the Palladiums smoke the Jubilee. Then again... I DO tend to recall Roy once muttering something almost under his breath (and Roy, I do not mean to put words into your mouth)... but as I recall, he quietly suggested that the Jubilee with the K402 is the best that he felt Klipsch was making. I would presume that his perspective was from an engineering perspective and had ZERO consideration for asthetics which in the real world, must be accounted for to some degree. I think I've come to understand that in the world of horns, a well designed bigger horn is better than a well designed smaller horn. Take note of the 402/510. Both sound great on axis but IMHO, having heard them both off axis there is NO competition when you fall outside the line of the 510, the 402 clearly has a better off axis response.

Hard for me to comprehend how a six inch or 8 inch or however large the Palladium horns are, might compete with a horn nearly three feet across (presuming both equally well designed)

Then again, I AM a self admitted dummy [;)]

This thread makes the evening "how did you manage to survive the day" news, Inside Edition and TMZ look like science.

Speculation based upon the speculation of the previous speculation based upon another speculation based upon the initial speculation. And all of that based upon personal preference...

And all of this because someone wants the validation of someone else regarding how they spend lots of money!

[*-)]

And all the while, the real problem that is being ignored is the lack of a dealer where real product can actualy be auditioned!

Perhaps a more substantal discussion should be who on the forum has earned the commission for actually selling the product, as the vaporware dealer network is certainly not effecftive.

[:P]

...Seems like such rigorous logic should be reserved for debates over tubes versus solid state, or how one can be moral if they shop at Target.

I am familiar with the photo of PWK with the Jubilee that has the wood horn on top. Is that the one?

I was going to post a picture but they've been put on the forum.

If you go here and start about page 11 you will see some pictures as to how they are (in general) being put together

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/77599.aspx?PageIndex=11

Mas if you read smilin's second post you will see that this thread is going exactly as intended, i.e. for entertainment purposes only. One can hope that he is also corresponding with "the Klipsch team" on the side (there would be a conflict of interest to come out publicly and state a preference for one product over the other as well as incentive to merely prefer the one with the higher margin).

"I suspect one speaker plays GINORMOUSLY LOUD and goes BOOM BOOM real good, whereas perhaps the other speaker has more overall finesse with the "rest of the musical spectrum" once you get past the kick drums."

I'm sure a pair of Palladiums can play "GINORMOUSLY LOUD" too if you put 200 watts on them.:) The Jubilee has a top that covers over five octaves and sounds really smooth. The sound is fast, crisp, and dynamic -- what you would expect from a quality compression driver. What I really enjoy about mine is how well they perform at low volumes. Everything is there without having to crank it up. You make the Jubilee sound like a tinkle-boom speaker, which is the complete antithesis of how it sounds. Sure, a pair can rock the house -- but they sound really sweet run in the milliwatt range. The Palladium uses a 4" inverted aluminum cone with a 4:1 compression ratio. I'm just guessing here, but I suspect the midrange to be a bit warmer and more laid back than the Jubilee's, with the tradeoff being in dynamics. If I'm right, then I think the Palladium might actually need a bit more power behind it before adopting that 'all there' quality.

"...I have heard dozens or even hundreds of PA and SR systems in ballparks, train stations, nightclubs, and arenas, and I am not at all "unfamiliar" with that sound...."

Hearing bad horns at stadiums and train stations doesn't have much to do with the Jubilee in the home.

"My experience with cheap ADCs and DACs is that they sound rather obviously flawed. That no one reports this while using the Jub, is a "curiosity" to me, let's leave it at that. The "resolution" of a good analog system is going to be far greater than a cheap digital one."

Maybe no one reports it because we don't hear it. Good analog sounds different, but I don't think it has anything to do with "resolution".

Mas if you read smilin's second post you will see that this thread is going exactly as intended, i.e. for entertainment purposes only. One can hope that he is also corresponding with "the Klipsch team" on the side (there would be a conflict of interest to come out publicly and state a preference for one product over the other as well as incentive to merely prefer the one with the higher margin).

Zactly, Oldtimer, and thanks for clearing this issue up. I am indeed, working directly with Klipsch, and hope to have a midwest showroom, with both, in the near future. I am having fun, again, with this forum. While at the same time, attempting to come home, to my Klipsch past.....[:P]

I have strayed for a long while, trying more audio equipment than I care to take credit for.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, AND SEE YA NEXT YEAR[H]

Perhaps because one was PWK's vision of an engineering pinnacle achievement and the other is the pinnacle achievement with the marketing department also involved? (which if so, is NOT a bad idea)

Perhaps not... For all I know the Palladiums smoke the Jubilee. Then again... I DO tend to recall Roy once muttering something almost under his breath (and Roy, I do not mean to put words into your mouth)... but as I recall, he quietly suggested that the Jubilee with the K402 is the best that he felt Klipsch was making. I would presume that his perspective was from an engineering perspective

Did Roy work on the P39?? Did he work on the current none PWK version of the Jubilee??? Just curious.......

Craig