Khorns, if you had your choice....

tolle45958

Rob:

Thanks. I use them in a home theater/music room. Watch a couple of movies a week and listen to music about the same amount of time. I would probably only consider one mod to the 73 and that would be crossover rebuild by Mr. Crites. Otherwise no other plans. Each pair is about the same price. Thanks you all for all yoru input. Please continue.

Having gone through a few pairs, my choice would the '73's with a few modifications including refreshed xovers, damped horns and updated terminals and wiring. I've had a pr of late 60's Khorns with rosewood veneer, a pr of '72s w/walnut, a pr of mid 70's in Birch and a pr. of '87 Khorns in walnut (which I still have). I like the earlier Khorns because the veneer was prettier, the cabinets seemed more sturdy and I like the sound of the alnico drivers in the top end - a bit smoother and detailed. I would've kept the earlier ones but I didn't think about changing the xovers back then and the bass was not very tight compared to the later models w/ferrite woofers. Even when I did put in a newer xover (ALKs), the alnico woofers didn't sound as deep and tight as the ferrite woofers. Of course, I never heard 2 Khorns that sounded the same so take my opinion with a grain of salt. All things being equal (and I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice), the idea of listening to a wonderful piece of music through 35 year old speakers really has a very unique appeal to me. Have fun

Having gone through a few pairs, my choice would the '73's with a few modifications including refreshed xovers, damped horns and updated terminals and wiring..... I like the earlier Khorns because the veneer was prettier, the cabinets seemed more sturdy and I like the sound of the alnico drivers in the top end - All things being equal (and I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice), the idea of listening to a wonderful piece of music through 35 year old speakers really has a very unique appeal to me. Have fun

I agree with JBryan 100%. I don't know just when it was that MDF began to be used in some of the parts making up the Klipschorns, but I'm sure that it was well after '73. Now, I'm [technically] convinced that there's absolutely nothing wrong with MDF in the places where Klipsch decided to use it, but I'm 'emotionally' adverse to its use in the flagship of the Heritage line. Also, you can be sure that Paul W, Klipsch was knee-deep in the operation on the company during the mid-70s and certainly kept close watch on the assembly of his 'love children (!)' Some of the hard-core Klipsch folks consider the mid-70s as the "golden years" for Klipschorns.

So, all things being equal (which, of course, they never are), I'd pick the earlier ones.

Nonetheless, either way, you are in for some wonderful sound!

Have a great - and Klipsch-filled - new year! And be sure to post some photos of the ones that you finally select!

Rob

Regarding 35 year old cabinets.

Folks that work in pro sound get concerned about

1) diaphragms becoming "hardened" after years of use (and getting played at a high level)

2) Alnico (in the early drivers) magnets losing their strength after years of use (and getting moved around a great deal).

Are these considerations in this decision. Of course things can always be replaced.

Just wondering,

-Tom

Having gone through a few pairs, my choice would the '73's with a few modifications including refreshed xovers, damped horns and updated terminals and wiring..... I like the earlier Khorns because the veneer was prettier, the cabinets seemed more sturdy and I like the sound of the alnico drivers in the top end - All things being equal (and I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice), the idea of listening to a wonderful piece of music through 35 year old speakers really has a very unique appeal to me. Have fun

I agree with JBryan 100%. I don't know just when it was that MDF began to be used in some of the parts making up the Klipschorns, but I'm sure that it was well after '73. Now, I'm [technically] convinced that there's absolutely nothing wrong with MDF in the places where Klipsch decided to use it, but I'm 'emotionally' adverse to its use in the flagship of the Heritage line. Also, you can be sure that Paul W, Klipsch was knee-deep in the operation on the company during the mid-70s and certainly kept close watch on the assembly of his 'love children (!)' Some of the hard-core Klipsch folks consider the mid-70s as the "golden years" for Klipschorns.

So, all things being equal (which, of course, they never are), I'd pick the earlier ones.

Nonetheless, either way, you are in for some wonderful sound!

Have a great - and Klipsch-filled - new year! And be sure to post some photos of the ones that you finally select!

Rob

That is another consideration and one reason I am glad to have a pair of 78's. Tough choice khorns or khorns :) Good luck.