Heresy III Impressions

HarryO

Well I finally got my first good listen to the Heresy III last night. As a diehard Cornwall 1 fan I've always liked the Heresys but thought they're lacking the "room presence". To me they never seemed to have the "size" to be a main speaker for my systems but always a nice "B" speaker or satellite.

Klipsch has a winner with the III. This is the biggest improvement of any of the Heritage speakers yet IMHO. It's full range, deep bass, and probably the biggest surprise is the dispersion of the new horns. Even on low powered SS (forgive the blasphemy) they're an excellent speaker.

Ok Klipsch, you've sold me. The legacy of Paul is still alive in some of the new products. I'll shut up. You've convinced me there's something new in the audio world worth buying. I'm not a HT listener and it seems like all the newer products have been geared towards HT.

What I'm trying to say is it is a very good 2 channel speaker and more than capable of being the main speaker in a larger room.

Now to put these buggers on some hot glass to really wake them up. Gotta get a pair for me. If I had a nicer pair of cabinets I'd do the upgrade kit. I thought it would be just another pair of Heresy but I was happily surprised. The upgrade kit is looking like a bargain now.

Just an opinion from an old Heritage fan that didn't think Klipsch had it in them to bring out a new speaker to please an old fart spoiled by the big old ugly horns.

Harry

Harry, I've been thinking the same thing re: upgrade kit for two pairs of the H's I'm going to keep. But they are H-I's, and I believe I'd have to cut a new rear panel to accept cups, and I have to check with tech/parts if that's even possible with the different tweeter horn. Otherwise, cutting a couple new driver boards ala H-II "hole sizes" would not be a big deal either. For that matter, why not just cut new panels, new veneer..... By that point, the only thing left would be the screws!! But I think you are absolutely right in that the H-III has really been the best "upgrade" for the money for the Heritage series.

• Moderators

Good choice for a perfect match to the Cornwall lll !

When we were in Hope a couple years ago and first heard the H lll, i couldn't belive the sound, and we heard all the updated Heritage that day !

The motor board on the h1 and h2 are very different. You will not be able to easily mod the H1 to fit the h3 drivers. You would need to completely replace the motor board.

For sure, and the routing out the gasket/ flange inset on H-II boards is a royal pain... Other problem is 90% of the time when removing the motor board on H-I's, it tends to tear up the board bracing no matter how careful one is....

not to hijack this thread but can anybody here recommend a nice set of stands for the H-3 about 16 inches high. i want to buy a set of H-3's this year for the rear for my cornwall 3's

Make them yourself, possibly ? 3/4" birch, some nice veneer to match? If you are handy with a table saw, you could probably make a pair that would be really nice.

Well I finally got my first good listen to the Heresy III last night. As a diehard Cornwall 1 fan I've always liked the Heresys but thought they're lacking the "room presence". To me they never seemed to have the "size" to be a main speaker for my systems but always a nice "B" speaker or satellite.

Klipsch has a winner with the III. This is the biggest improvement of any of the Heritage speakers yet IMHO. It's full range, deep bass, and probably the biggest surprise is the dispersion of the new horns. Even on low powered SS (forgive the blasphemy) they're an excellent speaker.

Ok Klipsch, you've sold me. The legacy of Paul is still alive in some of the new products. I'll shut up. You've convinced me there's something new in the audio world worth buying. I'm not a HT listener and it seems like all the newer products have been geared towards HT.

What I'm trying to say is it is a very good 2 channel speaker and more than capable of being the main speaker in a larger room.

Now to put these buggers on some hot glass to really wake them up. Gotta get a pair for me. If I had a nicer pair of cabinets I'd do the upgrade kit. I thought it would be just another pair of Heresy but I was happily surprised. The upgrade kit is looking like a bargain now.

Just an opinion from an old Heritage fan that didn't think Klipsch had it in them to bring out a new speaker to please an old fart spoiled by the big old ugly horns.

Harry

Have you heard the revamped La Scala? I thought it deserved most improved speaker ever award.

I thought the upgrade re-uses the mid horn. Perhaps only because of the way it is shaped to fit around the top of the woofer.

I've said this before, but I would do the upgrade if I had the serial numbers off of mine. Someone kindly removed them from the back of the cabinets. I know they are genuine Klipsch, because of the inspection stickers inside, but without the sn, no upgrade is available.

Bruce

Harry, while I wait for mine to come, I use three out of my four H II's...I got a really big shelf to put the center channel above the tv and wow, in my litttle (12 x 8 x 10) bedroom, it is something else.

Can't wait for the conversion kit to come, of course then I'll have a sonic mismatch, but I'll also have four spare Heresy drivers, which I intend to make into mini cornwalls.

" Harry, while I wait for mine to come, I use three out of my four H II's...I got a really big shelf to put the center channel above the tv and wow, in my litttle (12 x 8 x 10) bedroom, it is something else.

Can't wait for the conversion kit to come, of course then I'll have a sonic mismatch, but I'll also have four spare Heresy drivers, which I intend to make into mini cornwalls. "

I'm finding myself searching for a pair of HIIIs. I'm considering the upgrade kit but I don't want to mod a nice original pair of Heresys just yet. Maybe soon if I can't find a pair of HIIIs though. I know how I am. Once I get the itch it has to be scratched.

Harry