Road Trip!

dtel's wife

• Moderators

Oldbuckster....this one's for you!

Well, dtel and I took a little road trip this weekend to Mark1101's house in Georgia to pick up a couple of MWM's.

What a great time we had....We left Picayune, MS around 7:00 a.m. Saturday morning....after carefully watching the weather.

Seems weather forecasters were expecting a wide spread ice and snow event across northern MS, northern AL and of course right across northern Georgia. In addition, this weather was producing a large area of rain/freezing rain across the southeastern states. Of course, driving in the snow wouldn't have bothered us....but I'm not real keen on "icy" roads.

Anyway...the ice and snow event tapered off considerably by Saturday morning and only rain remained....so we headed out. The drive to Athens, GA went well....other than driving through Atlanta, GA. I have to tell you I never considered myself a "country girl" until driving through Atlanta, GA on I-85.....Six lanes.....and folks driving like they forgot Talledega Speedway was a little further west.

Upon arrival at Mark's we were greeted by Mark and his wife Kim. We exchanged hugs and dtel and I gave them a "Randazzo's King Cake"....a traditional staple of New Olreans Mardis Gras, along with some "special" Mardis Gras beads. Dtel and I had met Mark before when auditioning Jub/402 vs MWM/402, but we had never meet Kim. The four of us talked for a couple of minutes then Mark and dtel headed down to the basement to hear Mark's new MWM's while Kim showed me to our room and the rest of their home. I immediately felt comfortable upon meeting Kim, she is a real classy lady. The house is beautiful, the kind of beautiful that makes you feel right at home.

After Kim helped me get settled into our room she and I visited awhile longer before heading down to the basement. We all enjoined a few drinks and some appetizers while listening to Mark's setup. I was just as impressed upon hearing the MWM/402 set up as I was when I first auditioned it. One minor difference this time.....I got to hear two MWM/402 speakers! I'm in love....with the sound of this setup.

Mark had a few minor sound treatments in the room. Seems to me it was the perfect amount. The bass was clear and concise, with drums sounding....well great. What can I say about the 402 that has not been said somewhere else, someother time. We listened to Rolling Stones, Bonnie Rait, Aretha Franklin and a few others....every CD sounded as though the performer was "Live...In Person" Mark asked us to let him know if we thought anything needed to be "fine tuned". I honestly can not think of anything that could have brought the sound more "to life".

I also got to see JC's Jub clones....what an accomplishment....unfortunately I didn't get to hear them! Listening to some more tunes we all headed up to the 2nd level of the house, while Kim and Mark prepared dinner for us. What a dinner....smoked salmon, Bubba burgers, Mark's favorite hot dogs (which dtel agreed were very good), grilled veggies, salad, corn, baked beans and dinner rolls. Mark is an excellent cook....and Kim did pretty good with her part too! Immediately after dinner we ate some of that King Cake I mentioned above. I think Mark really liked it!

Shortly after dinner around l:00 a.m. we all retired. We got up Sunday morning and loaded the MWM's onto the rack dtel built (see pic in Redneck thread in General Questions) for the back of the Jeep and headed home. The return trip directions Mark gave us made me feel right at home....back country roads to I-20 west, which isn't nearly as wicked as I-85 (our route to Mark's house), then I-59 south. We arrived home Sunday evening about 7:30 pm.

It was a great trip and I can't wait to see Mark and Kim again. BTW, Mark said something about going to a local bar up his way that has a Mardis Gras party every year. He said something about bringing those beads with him.....I forgot to mention to Mark and Kim how treasured "special" Mardis Gras beads are. Does anybody want to tell Mark (or Kim what some girls in New Orleans do to get "special" beads at Mardis Gras!

Where's the pictures? [*-)]

I-85 is awful, as is the North-South I-75, depending on the time of day.

I want to see them, really. Mark got NEW MWMs? Hmmmmmm....

Most importantly, Christie, I am glad you had a safe trip.

Bruce

Well Christy and Elden.....first we are glad you had a safe trip home. Your post above basically tells it all. We are so glad you were able to come and stay with us. We truly had a great time. We wanted you guys to be able to relax and feel at home after your long trip. Thanks so much for all the kind words. We are already looking forward to getting together again.

We can joke about Elden's "redneck" carrier, but I am stil very impressed with that thing. It fit those MWMs perfectly, and saved pulling a trailer which uses a ton more gas and bogs a vehicle down on a long trip like that. Elden's workmanship is truly great. He is a very talented guy. The picture in General Questions looks great.

It means a lot to hear those nice complements about my system too. I should give it more respect than I do. It does sound nice to me.....I'm just always looking for the critical comments to help make it better. I should be more satisfied with it. It's hard to beat the sound that comes out of those MWMs and 402s. You and Elden will have one powerhouse setup once yours is assembled.

Christy, you and Elden are great down to earth people. It's a pleasure that we can meet such nice people via a forum like this. You guys are lot's of fun, and great conversationists. I could tell everyone felt comfortable with one another right away when we got together. I hope we do get to come down to New Orleans and visit.

I have to go pick up my daughter right now.......I'll post more later. I still have to discuss the King Cake.

I was hoping to crash that party but was out of the country.

However, was drinking beer simultaneouly...in another time zone.

I'm sure the K402/MWM was impressive. Mark leading the line of jealousy.

I need to find this redneck trailor[Y]

jc

OK, I'm back.......

Christy mentioned a King Cake. I had never seen one before Saturday. It is similar to a LARGE cinnamon bun and has similar icing. It is in about a 14-16" ring shape and feeds a lot of people. I bet I could have eaten almost the whole thing though. I have a huge sweet tooth and this thing was right up my alley. I also am a pastry freak so I had a lot of it.....and more for breakfast on Sunday. The other thing about it is that they bake a small baby doll into the King Cake as a custom. Whoever gets the doll is supposed to buy the next cake. Well if you eat most of the cake odds are you find the baby. Of course I did wind up getting the baby. So I have to buy the next cake.

Kingsford has some new charcoal out with hickory in it. I used that for our cookout in my Weber. I have to say it is outsatnding and I recommend it highly for your next barbeque. I smoked the salmon using the hickory charcoal and wet apple and Pecan chips. Thanks for the barbeque complements Christy....I enjoy grilling a lot. For those who may not have ever heard of "Bubba Burgers".....well they are a Georgia thing. If you ever see 'em...buy 'em. You'll be glad you did. They are great burgers.

I have to say that I think we talked far more than we listened to music.....and I enjoyed it that way just fine. There is just really not that much to report about music listening this time around. Christy and Elden had heard my system configuration before....and I have heard it plenty. We didn't take any pictures either for those interested. I guess I just didn't think of it which wasn't too smart. But Christy brought us a lot of pictures from home to look at. Pictures of family and their home around Christmas. I never saw so many Christmas presents in one house in my entire life....and the most beautiful Christmas tree. It looked like Santa's North Pole. The Dtels sure know how to do Christmas, I can tell you that. They also have a killer system in their big room with 4 Fortes, their goregous pair of Cornwall IIIs, and a 65" monster TV.

I sure hope we get a chance to visit the Dtels at some point down in Mississsippi and get over to New Orleans with them as well. I will honor my responsibility to buy the next King Cake, and leave some for everyone else to eat next time. This was yet another fine Klipsch get together. Hopefully there will be many more.

• Moderators

I just wanted to also say Thank You to Mark and Kim, It was very nice of both of y'all to have us over.

The house is beautiful and the surrounding property is great. We did talk more than we listened to music, but that was really more fun, there is always so much to talk about and so little time. But the music sounded great, no fiddling needed except to change the music or volume, that's the kind of system I want when I grow up !

Also thanks for dinner, it was really good, on the way home I was telling Christy I want to get some Salmon and smoke it like you did. It had been years since I had it cooked like that, I forgot how good it was. I didn't know Mark was such a good cook ?

I know most forum members have no idea of what Mark's MWM / 402 horns sound like, because there are even fewer owners of this configuration than Jubs.

The sound is huge, and I don't mean loud, you can walk up to them and they don't really sound any different or louder than in the rear of the room. They just fill the room with a sound that is very big, the MWM bass bins and Roy's 402/k69 are NOT small, but sound much bigger than they are. That 402/K69 horn that Roy designed is hard to belive, it's like no other speaker I have heard at any price. It plays all the little "sparkles" like they say but seamlessly has a huge mid-range that makes voices sound real.

Like the Jubilees they reproduce music with such ease, before you would ever get to the point of them sounding like they were close to being pushed to hard you would be deaf.

The next morning I got up a little late, and I sat on the edge of the bed and looked out the window, there were 5 deer eating about 75 feet from the house ! I had never been to that part of Georgia, it's really nice, rolling hills and woods, what more could want.

Mark and his son helped load up and we headed out. It was a much better and faster ride home with his directions. I was a little suprised we were not stopped by any of the police when going thru the small towns with that contraption we were hauling them on ! They would stare at the boxes like they were trying to figure out what they were, I doubt they had any idea.

The whole trip was fun, and most of that was due to Mark and Kim, thank you both for making us feel very welcome.

Thank You !

Glad you made it home safe and sound. Sounds like a great trip topped off by some wonderful hosts, you and Christy seem to always meet good folks, and you enjoy the company of many different people, Good for You. Christy seems to be like me, I can handle most traffic, but put me into 5 or 6 lanes of wacko Big City drivers, and I am not comfortable, the older I get, the worse it gets ....... Anyway, you're home, No Place Like Home ... Is There ?

Dtel, Thanks to you and Christy for saying all the nice stuff about Kim, our home, my stereo system, my cooking. You are going to give me a big head. I'll just reiterate how much we enjoyed having you and Christy visit us.....and you are welcome back anytime. I'm sure we'll be seeing each other again soon at a Klipsch gathering or otherwise. We need to see pictures of what becomes of the MWMs. I'm sure you will assemble something killer knowing how good you are at putting things together.

I think a good message to the forum concerning your visit is that several members have gotten interested not just in Jubilees.....but in the technology that is used by the Jubilees. That is 2 way operation, active crossovers, time alignment of drivers, digital horn equalization, matched polar pattens between horns........updated horns.......bigger drivers.......plus Klipsch engineering and support to help those interested make the most of these systems. I can truly say that for me this progression was the smartest system upgrade I ever made. Continuing along this path allows for countless combinations when you look at the cinema line and realize these speaker components are all matched to one another. Just something I thought I should mention about Dtel's visit. Christy and Dtel are interested in heading in that direction and they came to get a pair of MWMs to start the process.

That is cool as beans guys!! (and gals!)

There was a guy maybe 8 months ago who said he had FOUR stacks of MWM's that belonged to his recently deceased father.... I asked him what/where and he's never returned. He was implying that he wanted to get rid of them.

You guys are putting together Jubilee Mashers!!!

I was asking the wife about trying to find a pair, toss them into the garage & have them for outdoor event....she just gave me one of those "eyes", you know the kind. [:|]

Well, dtel and I took a little road trip this weekend to Mark1101's house in Georgia to pick up a couple of MWM's.

WHAT??? OMG your serious!! I am soooo out of the loop! I tried to call you christie just yesterday...

I think.. no, I KNOW you will LOVE this set up.. I can't even imagine "Buddy" as he gets older cranking it up for his friends? Your daddy has what speakers... hehehehe Come on over n listen to what paw paw did in OUR house! hehehehehehe

If you have a big room, capable of a big set up, this IMO is the ultimate power punch. hehehe

I can't wait to see pics too!

I can't even imagine "Buddy" as he gets older cranking it up for his friends?

Imagine little Buddy as he goes to his friends house with the friend exclaiming..."you have just GOT to hear these kick hiney speakers my paw just bought... what are they? Oh, he said they are Realistic Mach Ones and they are the most freaking awesome speaker he's ever heard"

Then poor Buddy gets to the house and realizing what he left to come here and listen.... has to put on a smile and act like these are the most amazing things he's ever heard...

I think the Dtel's just ruined the family for life.

[8]

• Moderators

Coytee, he is already ruined, Marshall (groomlake) set him up with a pair of heresy's for his bedroom, he has them connected to, 2 different video games, cd, DVD, and satellite TV and radio stations ! And he plays them almost all the time through the Heresys !

Wow! Sounds like you guys had quite a trip to Mark's. Personally I've loved the meet and greet sessions I've been able to enjoy with my own area's Klipsch forum crowd. Great friendships, good times, and you get to talk about stereos.

Not fair though. Nobody's ever brought me pastries.