So why Jubilees....

Wrinkles

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thankyou for the invite. Sounds like a possible family vacation trip idea !

Your 300Bs, are they SET or push pull setup? SET

Have you listened with tube type 2A3s or 45s? Only Mike tn's
2A3's on HF which is great but have not heard 2A3 or 45's driving whole
system.
If so, what do you feel is the minimum power requirements for a
full Jubilee setup? I think that is room dependent.

Was the passive crossover Klipsch provided or did you build it
yourself? I built to Roy's deign with upgraded components. And the big
question is how much was the crossoever? I spent about $1,200 but it
could be done for much less.
PM me if desired.

Is it due to
the convenience of an active crossover for Jubilee owners to primarily
use the Crown XTi1000 amplifiers or is the adjustment play factor that
the Crowns provide? 275 watts into 8ohms!!! Smokin'. Seems like alot
of overkill for a home setup. Almost dangerous to the speakers. The
XTi1000 amps I heard really sounded good tho. If only Crown made a 50
watt XTi.

Thanks Rigma,

Wrinkles

remember.......not kitkat, not flipflop, or even trickydicky.....tractrix....modified that is......

in Christ, because of God's grace,

roy

There is a large discontinuity (i.e., area of essentially zero curvature) in the K-402 shape about 2/3 the distance to the mouth, and there isn't a lot of difference that I can see between exponential and tractrix as you move toward the throat of the horn (see figure below). I assumed that it was a "stitched design". My error...

I wonder which end of the horn shape is modified?

"It will be seen that the tractrix has a dominant exponential term which becomes less significant towards the mouth; in fact for the first 50% of their length the exponential and tractrix contours for a given cut-off frequency and throat area are virtually identical, but thereafter the tractrix flares at an increasingly greater rate until it attains its fully developed mouth at 180 degrees included angle."

Right now I could not do a new set from Klipsch simply due to the $. I am considering building the bins and buying the horn and drivers from Klipsch. Has anyone done this and does Klipsch sell the drivers seperately? If so, what is the approximate cost for the drivers and xover?

Thanks.

Rigma built his own bass bins and then the passive crossovers per Roy's design. His bass bins are abolutely beautiful. He had a long thread on the build process. Very impressive. Attached is a pic. The beautiful fronts draw you eyes away form the giant 402 horn, IMO. Still don't see why you couldn't paint the 402 the way folks have done with their Oris horns.

Bruce

post-7149-13819360748186_thumb.jpg

The K402 is a tractrix horn all the way through its expansion...Exponential and Tractrix look similar near the throat, but it's definitely a tractrix the whole way (Roy would have it no other way) Wink

No, it really isn't but I might understand your assumption if you didn't have one in your hands to measure.

That flat area 2/3 of the way out to the mouth--Large Manufacturing Error? I believe that no one else has acknowledged its presence.

I believe a math major wouldn't call the horn "tractrix". I believe that I'd call it "custom, something..." and it looks tractrix at the mouth. It also looks exponential or tractrix at the throat--either definition looks close enough to me. That flat area isn't either one. Maybe the resident Klipsch project engineer could shed some light? (Roy...your cue.)

Addendum: I would guess what we have here are two tractrix expansions in the K-402 with some sort of tangent line connecting the two (i.e., the flat area), such that there exists a smoother transition. Why two expansions? I don't know---maybe something having to do with coverage vs. frequency is affected at lower frequencies, or maybe the horn just needed to be shorter to match the depth of the Jub bin and the starting expansion rate near the throat is milder in order to support higher freq coverage. Your guess is as good as mine.

Chris

I am considering building the bins and buying the horn and drivers from Klipsch.

I don't pretend to know anything about your budget but this is exactly what Rigma did. You might ask him publically or via PM what he once said about the choice (buying/building) now that he's done it.

How would a 402/69 and Khorn bass bin combo go? Is the Khorn bin that bad? Also who makes the K69 and what are its parameters. Is it used with any other config?

It would better than the Lascala, in terms of bottom end extension but not as good as the Jub lf bin in harmonic distortion. Roy published a freq response chart for both the Khorn and Jub bins some time ago (e.g., you might search to find on this forum). The Khorn lf bin isn't that bad, but it has higher THD throughout most of its range, probably due in no small part to its 90 degree folding (vertical, then horizontal), the single driver in the Khorn bin, and to worse internal discontinuities, rather than the two-180 bend/two-driver configuration in the Jub lf bin.

I don't know a lot about the K-69-A, but it appears to be the same upper driver on the 3-way Cinema (i.e.., KPT 535 Jubilee) configuration, but using the K-510 horn as the final hf step in the 3-way configuration. The equalization curve for this driver in the K-402 is also published on this forum (Two-Channel, under "Re:Jubilee") as the hf EQ for the Crown XTi DSP/amp.

Chris

How would a 402/69 and Khorn bass bin combo go? Is the Khorn bin that bad? Also who makes the K69 and what are its parameters. Is it used with any other config?

Let's not lose sight that the Khorn is a fine speaker in its own right, after all, if it wasn't, it wouldn't have lasted the several years they made it! Have you seen Rigma's picture with his 402 on top of his Khorn bin?

Aside from that, how would a K402/Khorn sound? (Rigma did this too so he might be able to specifically comment)

The Jubilee is crossed at 500 hz and I think the Khorn crosses over at 400 hz? One of the main goals was to RAISE the crossover point of the Khorn so different top ends could be used. I don't know if you could drop down to 450 on the K402 and up to 450 on the Khorn?? I'd fear a hole in the sound if you used the standard crossover points?

The midrange of the Khorn is it's weakest link IMHO. There are many fine Mid-range horns and drivers out there. That is the route I went, when I first got my Khorns. I never even mounted the top hat on my pair. I replaced the midrange immediately with an Altec 1005B horn and 288-16K driver. Basically cost me about $1 grand for the Horns and drivers and are physically much smaller than the Jubilee Horn.

Hey fellas; here is a good question for you. For those that plan on using subs with the jubilee, what advantage is there for the jubilee system vs the jubscala?

jc

jc, the Jubilee sounds really good and effortless down to about 40Hz, much lower than the LaScala will go. I cross to the 884 at 40Hz, letting the Jubs cover that octave that the LaScala's can't reach. I find myself listening to two channel with the sub turned off. The Jubs are really clean. Choice of music will also play a role in the sub/no sub decision. With your funk, the sub's gonna be crankin'.

Thanks Bill... Now I have this song in my head!!

Ow, we want the funk

Give up the funk

Ow, we need the funk

We gotta have that funk

(x2)

La la la la la

Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo, owww!

(x2)

We're gonna turn this mother out (x2)

You've got a real type of thing going down, gettin' down

There's a whole lot of rhythm going round

(x4)

Ow, we want the funk

Give up the funk

Ow, we need the funk (let us in we'll tear this mother out {after 2nd &

3rd})

We gotta have that funk

(x7)

I know it is a anthem for Geeorge Clinton... But I also love this version too!

GERARDO - We Want the Funk
who was of course famous for this...