Klipschorn or La Scala?

neo33

Neo, please don't take my comments as in anyway denigrating the Klipschorns. You can nitpick any speaker design. While the Belles and the La Scala offer a huge chunk of the Klipschorn sound - they are not Klipschorns. Even when you throw in dual subs like I have. The Klipschorn is more than a sum of it's parts. It's a design concept that when taken in it's totaliity, exceeds what one might expect from this combination of drivers and cabinet design. When I first bought my Klipschorns, I had lots of naysayers make negative comments about my purchase. Even my dealer, who sold the speakers to me, said speaker design had moved substantially forward since PWK's classic design hit the show room floors. But after I set the speakers up in my home, my reward was the silence after I had played a few tracks to both friends and my dealer - and I'll never forget that glazed look of shock and awe as they walked out the door. The comments that filtered back to me a few days later, like; 'OMG!", "Wow!", "I never realized!", and from my dealer; "I forgot how f******g good they were!". I have had similar comments about my Belles. But I know that I could go up another level if I so choose...

Buy the Klipschorns if you can. They'll sound okay in smaller or less than satisfactory rooms - probably still better than a pair of La Scalas in the same room. But regardless of which way you go, it's a win-win situation. Klipschorns, you win. La Scalas, you win.

Anyhow. I've greatly exceeded my self imposed Klipsch Forum exile. Two posts in two days... [^o)]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I should know that, I have a brand new pair of 401's in the garage in a box. You would figure I would have gotten it by now.

Marvel, don't you have some historical prices on these?

Travis

Historical prices on what part? The horns, the Khorns complete? The K401 composite horn is about $50 each. I don't know about the Khorn or LS, specifically.

Bruce

Perhaps not ideal, but 16' x 12' is not too small for Khorns. They can sound great in a room that size.

I have done A/B between Khorns and Lascalas several times in different settings, and I personally never preferred Lascalas to Khorns. Just my opinion of course, YMMV.

Neo, I don't know how handy your are with tools, but you could make a false corner to go with one of the Klipschorns in the larger room. A lot of folks on here have done that,,, Dean being one of them. A fairly inexpensive way to overcome the 'no corners' syndrome. Some have gone ahead and made false corners for both of the Khorns, so they can aim them better and have a lot more latitude in placement.

Neo,

Go for the Klipschorns !!!...I have a 12' x 30' room and my Khorns are located on the short wall, I have the back of the speakers toed out 10" from the corners to get the focal point about 3/4 down the length of the room and they sound better than anything I have ever heard bar none, plenty of bass and hugh soundstage dispite the fact they are not jammed right in the corners. Yes they were made for corners but beleave me when I tell you corners are not an absolute necessity for the khorns to sound no less than fantastic, at least thats what I fouund in my situation and I'm running them on a DIY SET amp running less than 1 watt. I would pass on the unfinished pair for $2,995.00 there are others that are alot nicer for that kind on money.

• Moderators

I can't decide whether I want Klipschorns or La Scalas so I will buy both. The La Scalas will go into the small room and the Klipshorns will go into the big room. The max I will spend is problably $3,500.

That's one way to do it, I don't think you will be sorry with either ![<:o)]

Is there any one that live in the Bay Area and have a pair Jubilees I can audition? And how much is a pair anyway?

Jubilees are about $7000, delivered to your door, but they come without crossovers, meaning you need to buy a processor (like an Electro-Voice Dx 38) and a second amp, or a pair of Crown Xti amps with built-in processors. This way, the speakers are bi-amped with delay correction.

It's a little complicated, but usable by ordinary, non-engineer types, and reputedly sounds really, really, good.

There are also some Jubilee owners using passive crossovers.

Neo,

Amy said they have three pairs of the 60th models... returned for some reason. They have had the testing, yada yada...

Heard a pair o 60th Anniversay Khorns in Indy last June. Pretty awesome sounding speakers.