Cornwall I : A New Record?

mobile homeless

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed,

I have them about 11 feet apart and angled toward my ears, so if I am about 10-11 feet back it sounds perfect, kind of an equilateral triangle. I think that is what you mean by toed in, no? They are sounding great with this Dynakit-70 tube amp.

I am starting to appreciate these differences between amps. I am thinking ahead to upgrading to a tube preamp and amp.

Anyone have any experience with gear from Audio Electronics?

http://www.audioelectronicsupply.com/

-Sippin' @ Bell's

fininif,

Yes! "Organ Favorites" , good choice. Is Big Ed still with us or did that cholesterol finally catch up with him?

You definitely have some collectible sides there! Didn't you also have a very rare Nutcracker Suite or something more suitable? Nothing like good old vinyl with big LP covers and liner notes.

The comparison will be more rigorous if we both play the same record. I will play "The Broadway Bit" by Marty Paich at my house and you can play the equivalent alterednate at yours.

Could you possibly scan and post some of those album covers? ....{yah right}.

If only.....

-Collapsed and Seared

The AES kits are ok but better stuff can be had. Now I am having trouble remembering what you said your musical tastes were... and how big is your room size?

I dont recall you mentioning Foghat, in which case you might be very lucky...

So you want to make the jump to Single-Ended Triode?

kh

NOTE: As for Ed's rec below, you wont find that unit on the AES site. To read about it, see Kevin Deal's page:

ae3_djh.jpg

http://upscaleaudio.com/ae-3djh.htm

I have been recommending most tube purchases in the USED domain from the likes of AudiogoN or even ebay is careful. The AE3-DJH version doesnt come up used too often as it is a new model. There is a used AES PH1 phono stage for $350 on AudiogoN right now that is a good deal for the money (it has upgrades as well).

Here is a shot of the interior of my current Cary unit with phono and HEAVY mods.

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/temp/cary_mod_800.jpg

Amp wise, you need to say what your room size is and your listening habits/music.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-28-2002 at 10:27 AM

I am using an AES preamp with my Moondogs. The one I have is not a kit though, it is model AE-3 Superpreamp DJH version (all the upgrades) and factory assembled.

I like this preamp very much! I will be getting some NOS 6SN7 tubes soon to replace the VT-231 that the previous owner had put in it.

AES is a division/subsidiary of Cary Audio.

------------------

Ed W

soo...

I guess I made out alright in 1997 when I got a pair of 1974 Cornwalls, McIntosh MC2100 amp and C28 pre, and a Sansui TU-717 for $800. The mac stuff is in the attic and basement, respectively. Use the TU717 occasionally on the basement hifi; but, like Kelly, serious FM listening (an oxymoron?) is done with an EICO HFT90.

as to the speaker wire debate... I've been considering foregoing speaker wire entirely. I believe that the Cornwalls are efficient enough to be driven by the residual radiation from the output of the Paramours as long as the OPT is located fairly close to the speaker input terminals (intensity falls off in proportion of distance^6)... mind-boggling, life-changing transparency.

sorry, couldn't resist!

------------------

all the best,

mrh

The listening room is not large, about 13' X 17'. It is well carpeted and has alot of stuff in and around it. This room spills (flows) into several other rooms, but the speakers are set about 11 feet apart and face the 17" dimension. I listen to jazz, classical, and latin music mostly. Counting everything including alot of thrift store opera bargains and default junk, I probably have nearly 10k in LPs.

Most of the high quality vinyl is in the jazz and classical areas. I have alot of latin recordings in vinyl and even rare 78s, however the quality of these recordings is not as high, and my expectations of those recordings is not so much for high-end audio experience as much as for its musical information. {Latin recordings contain alot of percussion and highs as well as cool bass} I would retain my alternate systems for everyday use, but am curious about hearing the quality vinyl that I possess (eg. many Mosaic jazz sets and other quality jazz and classical recordings) in the most musical reproduction. Also I grew up in the tube era and have a strong connection to that era mostly via the high-end systems of friends whose parents could afford it at that time.

I have been digging the subtle differences I hear on the Conwalls with the Dynakit-70 tube amp compared to a Carver solid state receiver I have also hooked up. This has spurred my interest in going further with tubes along with this forum and general internet searching which has also kindled some curiosity.

1. How do monoblocks compare to an amp that is all on one chasis. (sorry if I don't know all the terminology yet).

2. If I just want to play vinyl , do I just need a pre-amp or is there something else (I heard the term "Phono stage" or something. Is that same as "preamplifier"? Actually maybe further down the line I would want to also play CDs through the tube amp.

3. I do understand, from a little reading, why the Single Ended Triode might be more "musical" and am curious about hearing this.

I am open to suggestions, and best bang for the buck ideas for amps and preamp (or do I even need a pre amp if I am only playing vinyl....eg. is this "phono stage thing " an alternative to a pre amp if you only need it for phono?

-Clicked and Scored

• 12 years later...

Kelly (MH) was a great forum participant. Does he still live in Wrightsville Beach? Is this him?:

edgeofthecarolinas.com/articles/dialing-it-in/

Dialing It In ... The Story of Swart Amplifiers

Edited by LarryC

Kelly (MH) was a great forum participant. Does he still live in Wrightsville Beach? Is this him?:

edgeofthecarolinas.com/articles/dialing-it-in/

Dialing It In ... The Story of Swart Amplifiers

Sorry Larry....just got back to this thread and saw your post. Kelly Holsten in the article is MH. I called Swart Amplifiers this morning and got a voice mail for Swart. The shop is just a couple of miles away from me so I may stop by there. Wrightsville Beach is about 4 miles from the shop and two miles away from me.

I'll let you know or ask him to post when I talk with him.

BTW...Sputnik forwarded a link from a bicycle forum a while back that mentions Mobile Homeless.

Edited by Tarheel