found a pair of Klipsch Heresy- how much should I offer?

beefheart357

hello !

I'm new here - hope I've posted this in the right spot! I stumbled upon a nice set of Klipsch Heresy's with the serial numbers 2P9137, 2P9136.

This is an estate sale, the speakers appear to be in excellent condition. How much should I offer?

I have an idea that these speakers were made in 1976 - can anyone help out in identifying these? Is this a decent model to own?

As you can see - I really don't know squat about these speakers ! But I do have heard Klipsh Cornwalls and Khorns, loved them both!

thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Dave

Dave, welcome to the forum, yes you posted in the right place. the P in the serial number does stand for 1976. any year heresy is a good year to own. you can go to ebay and check out their completed items of heresys to come up with a price on what they are selling for. if they are in mint condition in walnut veneer could be 3 to 400 dollars. start offering around 250

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the "P" in the serial numbers indicates that they were made in 1976. These are called Heresy I's and they originally had the K-22 woofers, K-55 mid drivers, and the K-77 Alnico round magnet tweeters. Some consider these to be the most desireable of components for Heresy's.

How much to offer eh? It depends on overall cosmetic condition and if all the drivers are working or not. It's not uncommon to find old Heresy's with woofers or tweeters not working. Sometimes this is damaged drivers and sometimes it's just loose connections. Either way you'll want to pay less for them.

Another thing is which finish they came with from the factory. HBR models are Heresy, Birch, Raw. These would be birch veneer with no finish (raw) and someone may have put a finish on them at some time. HWO models are Heresy, Walnut, Oil. These would be worth more simply because they are hardwood veneer and factory finished.

Let's say they are HBR with only a few cosmetic issues and they work fine. The most I would pay for them is $400, but I'd be looking to get them for a lot less, especially at an estate sale. $200 would be a good deal. $100 would be a screaming good deal (load them up quickly and quietly and get the heck out of there)! I'd pay a bit more for Walnut or Oak in nice shape, and working.

If they can't demonstrate that they are working, try to get them for $100. You never know? Get there early.

Greg

Russ, Greg - thanks for the replies!

I'm getting a little worked up about these Klipsch now! This pair is in really great shape, oiled walnut and nice grills. I definitely need to check the drivers and see if they're working properly. They're being sold at a garage sale which is supposed to happen tomorrow - I stopped by today for a sneak peak........ Wish me luck - I'll let you guys know how things work out.

Dave

Dave,

Like the others have said, start out low and work your way up but not over your limit. With that said I spent $350 on a pair that are not in excellent shape, it was all about timing and I wanted a pair.

Well best of luck to you and post some pictures when you get them home.

James

Well, someone beat me to the Heresy's - dangit! Some guy showed up before I got there and bought them for $300. Even though I was the first in line to buy, showing up the day before,leaving my name and number and being promised a phone call etc.......As we all know to be true - money talks! I only had a couple hundred in my pocket anyway, I was hoping for one of those garage sale miracles - shucks. I sulked around like a kid who lost his ball for a couple hours afterwards, and today it's all kind of funny (well, sort of funny)

All the comments you guys left were really useful - thanks a lot.

maybe I should be eyeballing Cornwalls anyway...........

Dave

I would say that Klipsch built a lot of them, too. Andy, aka HBDR Builder, posted this, commenting on his time at Klipsch. Someone had asked how long it took to build cabinets.

Heresys, mitered, chain w/clamp build: Normally one builder used. Everything running smoothly and not including prep time, about 7-10 minutes each.

Heresys, mitered, pneumatic assembly jig: Normally one builder used, about 5-6 minutes each, not including prep time and provided everything went smoothly.

Heresys, birch decorator, flush front style cabinet: normally one builder used. Provided everything ran smoothly, about one every 3-5 minutes, not including prep time.

Heresy, birch decorator, drop-in front style cabinet: One builder, about one every 3-5 minutes, provided everything went smoothly and not including prep time...Often the builder had a helper to install the rear glue blocks, caulk them up, and then install the drop-in front.

When Heritage speakers were the only home speakers Klipsch made, the Heresy was the bread and butter speaker, profit-wise...especially the decorator versions! The Klipschorn made Klipsch famous, but the Heresy, with its ease of assembly, low cabinet material costs, and HUGE numbers of sales, etc...made the company GROW! Not bragging, but I normally built at least 200 birch Heresys in a full day...SOLO!...and quite often built far more than that. With a good helper, that number regularly exceeded 400 in a day!

I just returned a pair of Cornwalls a couple of months ago to a friend who had loaned them to me, I called him the other day and asked him if I could try them again, he agreed

I'm using now a really nice set of Green Mountain Europas, but something about the tweeters is driving me nuts. After years of concerts and working in very loud places, my ears are very sensitive to sibilance, which I did not get from the Cornwalls - so here we go again! Aside from the size (gotta love my wife), the only fault I could find with the Cornwalls was that the midrange seemed to be a bit recessed. I may try putting them on bases to perhaps raise the midhorn up a little.

the wheels on the bus go round and round

- Dave