Drifting Away from Home Theatre

• Moderators

Have not seen a movie in months.

Well go rent a chick flick, pop some corn & make Christy wonder what you screwed up.Cool

Your right Arky, if I rented a "chick flick'' she would be trying to figure out what was going on !

I do need to rent some movies though, it's been a long time. I do watch some of the old ones that come on sat, but the sound is not the same even on the HD channels, better on DVD .

I watched "Contact" the other day, and some movies I run across when flipping channels I will watch even though I have seen them. Like Space Cowboys, The Abyss or The Right Stuff, and some comedies.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldtimer..

Hockey is indeed very cool to watch. I have on occasiontoo FYI. Now if I can just figure out what a:

1) Hat trick is..

2) What is offsides...

3) When is it ok to fight.. OK not too?

4) How many periods there are.... 2 or 3... ??

And being from the midwest, (INDY) who the heck do I root for? (I root for Detroit cause of Picky, but at times a call is made I have no idea what I am watching? ) LOL

Least I am honest.

After this, if I can figure out Cricket and Austrailian Football rules, I will be happy!

None of us (in the US) will ever figure out cricket. Aussie football is for the most part a giant game of keep-away. As for specific hockey questions, here is my attempt at helping you:

1.A hat trick is three goals by one player in a game. A natural hat trick is three goals by the same player in one period. A Gordie Howe hat trick is one goal, one assist, and one fight in a game (unofficial but funny and true).

2.Offsides is defined by the blue line on the ice that defines the attacking teams offensive zone. If a player crosses this line before the puck does as determined by the linesman, or of course if a player is already way deep in this zone before the puck is, it is offsides. There is a rule which allows players who are offsides to leave the offensive zone after the puck comes in, and then re-enter, thus "tagging up" to allow play to continue.

3.It's OK to fight when your team needs an emotional lift, or wake up call, or if you are defending another player who received a perceived transgression. Of course you will be penalized for this. It's not OK to fight when the penalty is at a bad time for your team or it would just make the game situation worse. It's not OK to fight if that's what the other team really wants because it would benefit them more than you. If you mean fight without getting a penalty, that doesn't happen, those are just skirmishes that the ref lets go. It's definitely a fine line and an art to make the fight enhance the game raher than detract from it.

4.There are three periods of 20 minutes each, followed by a five minute 4 on 4 sudden death overtime in a tie, followed by a shootout if still a tie. In the playoffs this changes to sudden death overtime until the players drop from fatigue, which should result in a goal for someone.

5.Of course you should cheer for the Dallas Stars! But you have a choice around you and you might decide based on who gets the most airtime in your area. Nashville, Detroit(no not them!), maybe even Columbus, St. Louis(although I hate that stupid bell they ring), Chicago are all possibles.

The only reason I have a HT set up to start with is for concert dvd's.I can watch a movie just fine with only the tv on,unless it's a great new action movie,then HT is just an added bonus.

The only reason I have a HT set up to start with is for concert dvd's.I can watch a movie just fine with only the tv on,unless it's a great new action movie,then HT is just an added bonus.

Boy, that's very different from my thinking. Movies are more about sound that picture to me. The very finest HD or movie screen is flat as a pancake and has no dimension. It does not pass what I call my "Cat Test." That is, it will not fool my cat. OTOH, my sound system DOES fool my cat.

Love big movie sound coming from realistic directions and with real punch. It makes the image much more real and provides a greater ability to suspend reality for the duration.

Dave

Fish, maybe you need to come over to experience a good HT?

Or maybe your one of those rare few that just do not care, and that is fine too.

I play golf but a few times a year.. just not my thing to do 3-5 days a week in the summer! Course that is also why I hit in the high 80's lower 90's...LOL But over 18 holes 1-2 shots more..per hole than my obsessive friends.. To be honest, who cares..??? I am outside, having fun, shooting the BS... That's what it is all about to me.

I agree with Dave though, it is just as important if not more so, to get the sound just right... It creates the mood for what your seeing! Maybe if you see and hear it all come together the lightbulb might turn on? Or maybe not but at least you can experience it too?

We enjoy our HT a LOT! We buy the movies when they are 3 for $20 at the local rental store, as we normaly don't go out to the "show" much, these movies are new to us and in our 120" HT with Klipsch heritage 7.1 sound, we like it MORE than at the local movie house. The sound we have is ballanced (to my ears anyay) and everything we play on the system sounds very good. For serious music listening, it is Cornwalls and tubes in my "den" but that is another thread![:P]

I just wanted to clarify,I think HT is great,for concerts or 5ch high rez.I'm just not a big movie guy is my reason for saying HT(as it relates to movies is)I can take or leave.It's great to have people over to watch a new movie full blown,but for average viewing I use only tv.If I came to your house I'd be glad to watch full blown,but when it's just me I seldom(but sometimes)do.

I make this distinction because I know a few people that watch everything through their HT.I am mostly a music or related HT guy.

Exactly Fish. Modern movies that are mixed for multi-channel are best appreciated that way. Older movies do not benefit. Music mixed for stereo sounds best in stereo. If you watch modern movies without the benefit of surround sound, you are not getting the full experience of how they have been designed.

I feel the same way OB. Concert DVD's get a lot of play on my main system. I'm getting the feeling that is the sole reason why some of our friends come over for...........Requests to watch a concert DVD are pretty common. I mean in some ways it's better than being there!!Big Smile

The movie effects are not as appealing to me anymore either, although it is nice once in a while to watch something that was done properly. The cheezy effects just get old after a while.Sleep

I guess I just have more of a passion to hear music on a fine system rather than the fake "boom-boom".Confused

I much prefer 2.1 for DVD concerts escept for Eric Clapton's One More Car One more Rider, and the Cream Reunion concert, where DTS was done correctly, having only the ambience and handclaps in the rear channels. Otherwise most of the others are not real sounding with cymbals behind you, etc. that kind of BS

I read the JBL paper where they found 4 subwoofers to be ideal, so I compromised. I have 6. Bascically I use JBL 2404 Super Tweeters with upside down Right a Left LaScalas laying on top of 4 MWMs bind (2 per side) each driven mono below 120 hz. with each MWMm having it's own amp. having the Xover in the Onkyo reciever set to Subwoofer Mode 1 it gets rid of a nasty 110 Hz peak in the LS by rolling it off. Or, if I don't want the subs, I just run in Direct mode 2 chanel for full range stereo in the LaScalas (background music). For serious listening to CD's it's 2.1 withe MWM's. It's the best Klipsch sound I've ever had in after 30 years of Klipschorns in the corners. This is much better, but they weigh 500 lbs/channel. LOL. I only turn on the rear subs for movies (another discrete amp per cabinet) or to dig down to 17 Hz on 2 channel stuff when there is content or I want more couch vibration (very subtle, though, as most comes from the front). The rear channels are a bit weaker than the AVIA setup DVD suggests, as I want the front to always dominate in 5.1 or 2.1. with

I still have the 5.1 option for movies, which is fine for most. The beauty is it's all driven by a reciever that cost me only $183. People caon't believe I only use 4 watts on the MWM's for normal listening below 90 db.

Exactly Fish. Modern movies that are mixed for multi-channel are best appreciated that way. Older movies do not benefit. Music mixed for stereo sounds best in stereo. If you watch modern movies without the benefit of surround sound, you are not getting the full experience of how they have been designed.

I agree with this. Most of the movies from the late 90's and new millenium fall into this category. Some are sonically spectacular. If people are complaining about the "boom boom" they are probably giving the subs too much signal. Mine only boom when called upon, otherwise, you don't really notice they are there, and I have 6 of them.

I still am in awe to listen to music and HT in my HT room! I have a feeling I am in the minority though. I agree with others (DeanG) that if your room is dialed in properly 2 channel music, and concert dvd's should also sound fantastic in a well done HT room. BTW, Music Choice is also great on Comcast!

I love personally sharing the Eagles, Pink Floyd, James Taylor, MOJO network (really cool) with people. I also like hearing clapping to the sides or behind me.. And I get a little un nerved when a sax or keyboard part is behind me or on the wrong side of where were all looking..LOL (Please sound mixers leave it where it SHOULD BE!!!)

I do find also in 2 Channel (most of the time) just turning down the sub just a little settings wise does the trick. The La Scala's are just awesome with the 2 THX subs from Klipsch and that KA 1000 amp.

I find myself watching some sports I used to never care about because the visuals and sound is sooo impressive! NASCAR is just awesome in HT. Basketball is great, and we all know College and especially NFL Football, is just the perfect sport ever, period, in your HT.

I am very much interersted how the Olympics will look in HD and I am sure on some of the broadcasts we will all be glued!

Maybe it is just a room setting thing for 2 Channel? This might be especially true, if you have a separate treated low light level room, rather than the traditional family room near your kitchen with windows people walking around etc, .sometimes your in the chair, sometimes on the couch etc.?

I agree with your sentiments here, Roger. If the sound mixers goof it up too much, I go to 2.1, but it seems many comply with the 10db bass boost which is standard for HT if your read the Dolby mastering specs. Sometimes that's a little much for music also. But when you have the right recording, man that 5.1 sounds great (only got to 6.1 once).

7.1, according ot THX specs. puts the 6th and 7th channel right next to each other, so it's more like 6.1 with double speakers anyhow.

But yes, it's all about proper balance of signal processing, time delays, blance between drivers, the room, and horn loading for low distortion with huge dynamics. I'm right with you brother Roger!

Oldbuckster,

Oh come on HT is fun,watching the fake dinosaurs stomp a mudhole in a few fake cars imploding...[:|] I myself took out the Sharp Aquos from the audio room that is how many movies I watch. Music music and music is wher the emotion lives. Movies...Rambo 6 will have 5Hz fake bass to push the videophiles to get fan subs. [+o(]

• Moderators

If you watch modern movies without the benefit of surround sound, you are not getting the full experience of how they have been designed.

Thank God!

That's must be true, they said so on the bose commercial, but without those big bulky speakers and the maze of wires. [:o]

Oldbuckster,

Oh come on HT is fun,watching the fake dinosaurs stomp a mudhole in a few fake cars imploding...

I use mine NOW mainly for Concert DVD's , Movies just don't interest me, for every 5 I watch, I might like one, but the Home Theatre is there if I want to use it, which I do. I like the Concerts in 5.1, the clapping or instruments behind you, gives me the effect of being onstage in the middle of the Concert, not just in the audience some where ... Last Man Standing is mixed that way, it's one of the best sounding DVD's I own .... My whole point was, is, I've gotten to the point where I don't really use the System enough to justify spending more dollars on it. I will use what I have without dumping more dollars into it, 3 more H2's for example, to nail the sound, just doesn't appeal to me now. I will stay with Standard DVD's, and ride out the storm of what's the next big thing, and when the dust settles, who knows what will happen ? I'm in no way knocking HT, the fire I once had for it is flickering out, that's all, so, I'm kinda' drifting away from Home Theatre was my point ...................

Oldbuckster,

Oh come on HT is fun,watching the fake dinosaurs stomp a mudhole in a few fake cars imploding...Indifferent I myself took out the Sharp Aquos from the audio room that is how many movies I watch. Music music and music is wher the emotion lives. Movies...Rambo 6 will have 5Hz fake bass to push the videophiles to get fan subs. Ick!

I agree with you. I also listen to more 2.1 music than I do watch movies or DVD concerts. My system is set up to any or all very well. Like any other endeavor, the LAW OF DIMINISHING RETURNS applies here as well. 5 Hz capability can be purchased, but going below 20 Hz get hugely expensive. Some French guy poured two 30 foot straight axis concrete horns around sixteen 18" drivers per channel to get to 10 Hz, where the mouth was the listening room. He did it times 2 channels with tons of amplifier power (and digital time delay, of course). He said it scared people out of the house with that kind of wavefront. I'm sure it can destroy lots of delicate collectivle items, or the fragile bones of the elderly, etc.

I mean what's the point of shaking things apart with that kind of acoustic power? Makes those boys with kilowatt subs in their cars being fed by 2 FARADS of capacitance to keep the "voltage sag to the beat" from dimming the instrument cluster look like toys, eh?

Any hobby can turn into the ridiculous, unless there is some financial appreciation involved, like collecting classic cars.

I'm pretty sure most audiophiles can always find someone on the Web with a more imposing setup to calm down the wives, eh?

about half of my purchases DVD's are concert films- does multi-channel music count as stereo or HT? I rarely put a CD on and still have no vinyl rig going....

and what's 'icing'? I never figured that one out despite numerous attempts.

sign me,

just another American recliner potato

I can't help but get a kick out of so many complaining about the "boom' of a subwoofer in their HT.

If the movie audio content simply has allot of LF content, that says you are listening to the soundtrack!

This manufactured issue is all the more curious as a properly set up HT should not differ to any significant degree from a properly setup 2 channel system. And nothing should preclude you from simply selecting the appropriate playback format...be it 2 ch stereo, 5 channel stereo, or whatever is appropriate for the source.

So if you are complaining about the boom due to your sub's gain structure/setting, it simply says that you have set the sub up incorrectly!

It
is not the fault of the sub (unless it is simply ill-designed!). A
properly set up sub should not be apparent except for extended LF
response, as gain levels should be identical at the
transition/crossover point.

That said, far too many simply boost the sub for effect. And while you may like it, it nevertheless qualifies as 'operator error'.

about half of my purchases DVD's are concert films- does multi-channel music count as stereo or HT? I rarely put a CD on and still have no vinyl rig going....

and what's 'icing'? I never figured that one out despite numerous attempts.

sign me,

just another American recliner potato

Icing is when the puck is played from beyond (from their defensive side) the red line (it's the one in the center) into the offensive zone without being touched by another player, and cannot be touched by a defensive player before it crosses the end line (the line near the back of the rink that the goal sits on). Dumping the puck from beyond the red line is ok as long as it never crosses the end line. To avoid icing the player must gain the red line then shoot the puck into the offensive zone. Icing causes a stoppage in play, and a face-off in the defensive zone of the guilty team.

Similar experiences here. Went CD, went DVD, went surround, went SACD, went vinyl, sold surround, went 2 channel only.

Just enjoy it more. I don think it was a setup issue. For me it was merely that the soundtracks that really used the sub and surround effects kinda lost out on the background music that is more important to me.

I am fairly sure my sub plays back as it is supposed to - its just that I dont need that much bass - whatever the originating sound engineers thought.

For movies with a good music score we use the stereo. For movies with really big bangs we use the TV speakers to avoid them. Having a sub in my 2 channel setup, it is as bad for the boom as having it surround sound.

I never minded applause coming from the front - who listens for the applause anyway? I know when I am impressed without it.