beatles enthusiasts apply here...

askbob1

i just recently began listening, really listening, to a lot of beatles tunes lately. they were really before my time and i've always been fascinated by how they are considered what changed music for a lot of people. most of their more played tunes i've heared many times over the years. it wasn't until recently i've really payed attention to just how great some of the lesser played tunes are. ringo's licks sound simple until you really pay attention to them. so far i've bought magical mystery tour, sgt. peppers lonely hearts club, and abby road. abby road really does it for me and i'm looking for a similar direction to go for in the next purchases. just looking for anyone's input in general as to what albums they consider TOP NOTCH, and so on. has anyone listened to anthology on dvd? it is supposed to be in 5.1. i wasn't sure if they were mixing it more for effect, or more towards dvd audio quality?

The only multichannel 5.1 recording (to my knowledge) is the new "Love" DVD, remixed from the original master tapes in a "mash up" style, where snippets of some songs are overlayed onto other songs, or used as lead-ins to whole songs. It was remixed by George Martin, the original producer/engineer for the Beatles, and his son, for the musical part of a current Cirque du Soleil act in Las Vegas. It was actually initiated by George Harrison and the CdS founder, before Harrison's death, and had the blessing of remaining Beatles or widows. If you have a home theater 5.1 set up, the sound is amazing.

Save yourself some time and just buy the Beatles cd box set. The remixed Love CD is awesome. The Beatles Anthology DVD is absolutely incredible and is a must have for any Beatles fanatic.

Anthology

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Anthology-John-Lennon/dp/B00008GKEG

Box SET

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Multiselection-Box-Set/dp/B000002UU7

Beatles Sessions book. This book is a log of everyday they were at EMI studios detailing what they did in the studios. They often use the entire facilities of EMI. This was a luxury no one else was afforded at the time. Included are interviews with people that were there like EMI technicians who were IMO the fifth beatles.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Beatles-Recording-Sessions-1962-1970/dp/0600612074

If you stil with me so far and want to get totally techy. The new book recording the Beatles is a must have for any studio junkie.

http://www.recordingthebeatles.com/

walrus.jpg

i just recently began listening, really listening, to a lot of beatles tunes lately. they were really before my time and i've always been fascinated by how they are considered what changed music for a lot of people. most of their more played tunes i've heared many times over the years. it wasn't until recently i've really payed attention to just how great some of the lesser played tunes are. ringo's licks sound simple until you really pay attention to them. so far i've bought magical mystery tour, sgt. peppers lonely hearts club, and abby road. abby road really does it for me and i'm looking for a similar direction to go for in the next purchases. just looking for anyone's input in general as to what albums they consider TOP NOTCH, and so on. has anyone listened to anthology on dvd? it is supposed to be in 5.1. i wasn't sure if they were mixing it more for effect, or more towards dvd audio quality?

If you like those, you HAVE to have those three others mentioned--revolver, rubber soul, and the white album--let it be has some great songs, and Hey Jude was an original release with all the best of singles and b-sides--its all on other comps. It always amazes me that they got that crisp yet punchy sound with much older technology --was it a 4- or 8 channel tape?

Their musicianship is top-notch, but you never think of them as great vocalists-- but wow each vocal is perfect for each song they ever did--

I love the Beatles. I have all the MFSL LPs and play them often. I'd have to say The White Album gets the most play followed by Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul & Sgt Pepper (I have the UHQR LP and while a bit bright, still pretty sweet). I like a few of Paul's early solos and maybe one or two by George, by George.[:D]

Where did that saying come from anyway? I'll have to look that up.

I AM NOT A Beatles fan, but their highlights, in my opinion, Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers, the White Album, and Let It Be .......... Over the passing of time, I find George Harrison's Songs are the one's that really remain with me, and the others just seem blah compared to some of George's best songs !!!

thanks greatly for all of the input. looks like i'll be picking up revolver, rubber soul, and the white album this weekend for sure. then of course the anthology set. i just like to get a feel for the sound of an entire album first. now, isn't the anthology dvd that is also in 5.1? i was thinking that is what the packaging said, not 100% for sure. i did see the new 'love' disc in the store as well. is it entire songs that are original or something different? buddy, you said it right on. the studio quality of their music is still better than most today. i guess digital isn't always better. of course abby road is a gem, but the last 7 or 8 tracks are a masterpiece. in my opinion, of course! it would be nice to have some really high quality recordings of them doing some extended jams.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a NOT Beatles fan....WoW but after some research some people think they are evil link but I think they are bonkers.

beatles%20-%20yellow%20submarine%20(char

Words are flying out like

endless rain into a paper cup

They slither while they pass

They slip away across the universe

Pools of sorrow waves of joy

are drifting thorough my open mind

Possessing and caressing me

Jai guru deva om

Nothing's gonna change my world

Images of broken light which

dance before me like a million eyes

That call me on and on across the universe

Thoughts meander like a

restless wind inside a letter box

they tumble blindly as

they make their way across the universe

Jai guru deva om

Sounds of laughter shades of life

are ringing through my open ears

exciting and inviting me

Limitless undying love which

shines around me like a million suns

It calls me on and on across the universe

Jai guru deva om

Jai guru deva

Jai guru deva

Last weekend my wife treated me to a concert for my birthday. If you have a chance to see Rain, the Beatles Experience, I would recommend it. While they did not try to overhype or act out their parts as "the Beatles", they did an amazingly good rendidition of the songs on their playlist that night. One of the highlights was "Day in the Life", just superb. The audience vibs seemed to be as important as the musicianship after the first couple songs. Highly recommended just for the "memory" of all these songs. In your case, a new exposure to a slice of music history. Some of the songs Rain performs were not performed live by the Beatles to the best of my knowledge. They cover the spectrum of early Beatles thru the final days. Even a couple of John Lennon songs during the encores. First concert I've been to in a long, long time. Google for their web site and schedule.

Last weekend my wife treated me to a concert for my birthday. If you have a chance to see Rain, the Beatles Experience, I would recommend it. While they did not try to overhype or act out their parts as "the Beatles", they did an amazingly good rendidition of the songs on their playlist that night. One of the highlights was "Day in the Life", just superb. The audience vibs seemed to be as important as the musicianship after the first couple songs. Highly recommended just for the "memory" of all these songs. In your case, a new exposure to a slice of music history. Some of the songs Rain performs were not performed live by the Beatles to the best of my knowledge. They cover the spectrum of early Beatles thru the final days. Even a couple of John Lennon songs during the encores. First concert I've been to in a long, long time. Google for their web site and schedule.

I heard about this on NPR and it sounds promising. I'd like to check it out.

they have a very cool website with video when they were featured on sunday morning. there is another tribute band that i heard on a morning radio show some time ago named 'the fab faux'. a couple of the guys play in conan obriens band. they sounded unbelievable as well.

The Fab Faux are
without a doubt the most musically satisfying Beatles tribute band on
the scene today. Boasting the high visibility of TV star/musicians Will
Lee from The Late Show with David Letterman and Jimmy Vivino from Late Night with Conan O'Brien;
five strong lead vocalists (including Rich Pagano, Frank Agnello, Jack
Petruzzelli) and a commitment to the accurate reproduction of The
Beatles' repertoire; this is the band to see if you want to know what
it might have been like if The Beatles toured behind their later albums
(with a healthy portion of the early guitar-based stuff that most
tribute bands play.) Imagine hearing complex material like "Strawberry
Fields Forever", "I Am the Walrus", and "Being for the Benefit of Mr.
Kite", performed in complete part-perfect renditions; or such harmony-driven songs as "Because", "Nowhere Man", and "Paperback Writer", reproduced not only note-for-note, but with extra vocalists available to achieve a double-tracked effect!

Since their formation in the spring of '98, the Fab Faux have created a buzz among Beatles fans in the New York City area; packing The Bowery Ballroom, Webster Hall, Irving Plaza, The Bottom Line, and The China Club with high energy shows; for an audience liberally sprinkled with fellow musicians, celebrities, and fans alike.

Apparently, people have taken notice, as the group was featured in a full-length profile on CNN
that was broadcast all over the world on several of that network's
programs; and participated in a CD of original material by Beatles
tribute bands, recorded in London at Abbey Road Studios!
Since August '99, the group has performed multiple times in Liverpool,
England, where they play three shows each year for that city's annual
Beatle Week festivities, including outdoor concerts for over 35,000
people on the Apple-sponsored Yellow Submarine and Let It Be stages.

So, for Beatles fans (and music fans), the choice is clear: If
you want to hear songs recreated that were written, arranged, and
performed with a genius and talent sadly missing from today's music
scene; if you're too young to remember what all the fuss was about; or
if you just want to see one of the best live rock bands performing
today, look no further than The Fab Faux....

Heard them and they are great!

Buy the LOVE DVD/ CD

Also a Hoosier here too!

Pretty much anything by the Beatles is great. I love listening to their earlier albums in Mono especially the British versions, although these can get pretty expensive. I love listening to their 45's on my Seeburg jukebox, especially ones on the Capital swirl label. I have all their music and only dud I can recollect is the Live in Hamburg Germany album. Sound is terrible. Pretty much everything else you will be happy with.

The Love 5.1 DTS is a must have.

I like the Beatles, but I would not really consider myself a fan. Probably because I was too young when they were a band. I do appricaite the cutting edge music and their song writing ability.

I got to see the Love Circ show at the Mirage the last time I was in Vegas. I would also recomend that show to anyone. It was one show that I can really say that I got lost and forgot the worries of the world, which does not happen to me that often.

JM

The Love 5.1 DTS is a must have.

I like the Beatles, but I would not really consider myself a fan. Probably because I was too young when they were a band. I do appricaite the cutting edge music and their song writing ability.

I got to see the Love Circ show at the Mirage the last time I was in Vegas. I would also recomend that show to anyone. It was one show that I can really say that I got lost and forgot the worries of the world, which does not happen to me that often.

JM

The Love Circ show is one of the few shows I would love to see and it would be the only reason I'd go to Vegas.

Growing up I had an older brother that fed me a steady diet of Parliament, Zappa, Beefheart, and Beatles at a young age. The Beatles were such a hard working band. If you look at what they did an the time frame involved it is a pace not matched especially for diversity and quality.