Looking for TT

jamesV

Hello,

Just as the title said, I am looking for a tt in the $200 price range. I have seen posts about the SL-1200 and have seen one close to home. Is this a good purchase over say a new Numark or Stanton. I am just looking for something that can spin some vinyl.

Thanks for the help,

James

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty on ebay. So many odds are you can find one local to you. If you opt for shipping one, the owner having the original box is a plus. Some platter pop off and are stored in a special area of the shipping container. Some platter mats come off as well. You would not want a platter or platter mat moving off it's mount during shipping.

Before buying one, try to listen to a few tracks from a new record or two. Most are disappointed in the sound quality of used vinyl on old and worn needles.

Hello,

Just as the title said, I am looking for a tt in the $200 price range. I have seen posts about the SL-1200 and have seen one close to home. Is this a good purchase over say a new Numark or Stanton. I am just looking for something that can spin some vinyl.

Thanks for the help,

James

I just bought a Technics Sl1210 Mk2 (a new version in black). I love it. I use an Audio Technica 440 MLa cart. You wll not do better for the money. It is a very easy to use and quiet table. It makes me want to spin more vinyl (the VPI did not).

I started a thread on AudiogoN about it. Here is a link:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1204087493&read&3&4&

Bottom line, I prefer the Technics Sl1200 to my old VPI Scout table. If you can get one local for $200 go for it. If you don't you can always get your money back out of it.

Chris

http://treasure.craigslist.org/ele/607016348.html

This poster has other Technics TT listings and for a clean Sansui. Anytime you can physically pickup a TT after auditioning and carefully deliver it back to your sound room, that would (as you no doubt already know) be highly preferable over a shipped one, in my limited TT shipping experience.

I have 1 SL-23 and a Panasonic/Technics Series 2000 (1200) TT's each of which I cannot get adjusted properly.

>Bottom line, I prefer the Technics Sl1200 to my old VPI Scout table.

Curious as to your issues wiht the Scout. I've had one for two years and have never heard (or not heard, as it should be with at TT) better.

Dave

Agreed. I know there's better out there, but the Scout dusts the 1200s that I've heard. Of course, I wouldn't recommend a Scout for a first timer. The uni-pivot set up requires some motivation and patience. Once it's done, it's done, but it's not as easy as the Technics I'm sure.

To each their own, YMMV, etc...

James...I think he is talking about the Scout being dificult to set up...the Technics is a snap...I have an SL-1300 that works as new and it is about 30 years old...I am not into vinyl like the others though...just wanted to spin some from time to time...

Bill

Bill,

Sorry about that, but my comment was from another SL-1200 that I seen and the guy is talking about the arm needs to be "re calibrated". It isn't staying down on the record, his words. Once again, this is all new to me so I don't know what he is talking about.

Thanks for all the help so far,

James

my comment was from another SL-1200 that I seen and the guy is talking about the arm needs to be "re calibrated".

Do yourself a big favor and stay away from that TurnTable ............. could just need proper balancing, but don't chance it !!! For the price you can get something new, and enjoy it, instead of someone else's mistake !!!!!!!!!!! Shop around ................

I am considering having my early 70s vintage Dual 1229 refurbished at a local shop. It has sat for about 10 - 15 years. With the general teardown and relube I'm thinking I might get lucky and spend only around $100 to $150 to get it back in service. Then, the Stanton 680EE cartridge has mucho hours on the stylus. Looking for replacements, it seems the 681EEE stylus will work. Needle Doctor has these for around $70 as I remember. So, I'm looking at around $200-300 ballpark to have my old pride and joy back up and running, assuming this 37 year old cartridge is in good shape and would benefit from a new stylus. Let's be generous and say I can get everything reworked and get the new stylus for $200.

I have also come across these Technic 1200 series models in web searches. They seem like a standard for DJ usage, however I'm just looking to clean up some old records and enjoy music I do not have on CD or cannot obtain on CD. The Dual has a great reputation and I got used to its solid performance with over twenty years of usage. But with a new turntable for around $400, perhaps I can use my Stanton and just get a new stylus and avoid the issues with an older turntable.

I would like to eventually have a separate preamp and tube setup for two channel, but for the near term, my Denon AVR-1800 is the whole enchilada. So, this will likely be a growing experience.

Thoughts on new turntable verus resurecting the Dual? My patience level for tinkering with older stuff has decreased the last couple of years. I'm tempted to just bite the bullet and get something new. I'm interested in comments regarding the sound quality of the Dual versus newer table along the lines of the Technics unit. Anyone have similar setups or experience?

How much would it cost to "recalibrate" the arm on a SL-1200? Who would be able to do this?

James

I do not know about "re-calibration" Find out hwat he means. If it was never set up right then that is easy to fix. If he ran over teh arm with his Buick it is another story.

To set up the Technics table just take off the headshell (it unscrews) and use an included plastic alignment tool. Pretty easy to do. Pop the headshell back on and balamce the arm (so that it floats level). This is also really easy to do because the counterweight screws on teh back of the arm. After it is level, use the dial and dial in the amount of force. Set the anti-scate dial to the same level. Finally, measure the height of the cartridge, look it up on a chart and dial in the right amount of VTA. Everthing is done using dials on the Technics. Takes maybe 1/2 hour max to set up.

As far as the VPI. I just didn't like it. It seemed like too much work to spin vinyl. The Technics is easy to use and sounds great in my system. It makes me want to listen to more vinyl.

I had a $100 Thorens TD160 that SMOKED my Technics SL1800. Any reasonable cartridge (Shure M97E would be fine) and you have a very musical table for under $200. I just can't imagine a Technics outperforming a Scout. Something had to be wrong with that VPI.

This was a few years ago and I've moved on from both but that was my experience FWIW.

How much would it cost to "recalibrate" the arm on a SL-1200? Who would be able to do this?

James

I do not know about "re-calibration" Find out hwat he means. If it was never set up right then that is easy to fix. If he ran over teh arm with his Buick it is another story.

To set up the Technics table just take off the headshell (it unscrews) and use an included plastic alignment tool. Pretty easy to do. Pop the headshell back on and balamce the arm (so that it floats level). This is also really easy to do because the counterweight screws on teh back of the arm. After it is level, use the dial and dial in the amount of force. Set the anti-scate dial to the same level. Finally, measure the height of the cartridge, look it up on a chart and dial in the right amount of VTA. Everthing is done using dials on the Technics. Takes maybe 1/2 hour max to set up.

As far as the VPI. I just didn't like it. It seemed like too much work to spin vinyl. The Technics is easy to use and sounds great in my system. It makes me want to listen to more vinyl.

Without looking it up again what is VTA? Since noticing I needed a new stylus and replacing it, I have had it close but no cigar. I received no alignment tool(plastic with my stylus replacement. Not wanting to go off topic here but I sure enjoyed my Technics until had to replace stylus and it has been tedious to dial/tweak it all back in. That is why I have reluctance to acquiring any TT that has to be shipped/setup. Meanwhile I have 2 Technics TT's here that was thinking might work. I did read some material here and elsewhere about it(tweak)and might try again. Just hope I haven't scewed new stylus up meanwhile.

Buy a used AR or Thorens and be done with it. The Shure M97 which was referenced previously is a great cartridge for it.

Here is an AR. Or my preferred choice and a bit more money, a Thorens.

I am associated with neither auction nor am I vouching for either auction. I am merely using them as examples of the turntables. Do you own due diligence.

Billybob, the alignment tool came with the turntable (technics). You might find one by scouting around used or maybe some dealers have them. With my cartridge, the stylus assembly just pulls off and the fresh one pushes on, so no need to realign anything.

Billybob, the alignment tool came with the turntable (technics). You might find one by scouting around used or maybe some dealers have them. With my cartridge, the stylus assembly just pulls off and the fresh one pushes on, so no need to realign anything.

OK, thanks! I'm gonna try some more again, things got out of kelter and problem putting back. Original poster is going Technics I read so I likemine when right! When I give up, I do see deals on decent tables I can check out. Patience billybob!

Thanks !