Klipsch Made in China

abbasi

Guest srobak

Some items are still made in the US. I have no complaints with the china-based Klipsch products I have. I would like to think that Klipsch keeps pretty tight control over quality.

Hi all,

I live In Hong Kong and I have a pair of RF-52s.

Two faults :

the bass reflex tube is made of two sections and in one of the speakers these two sections had not been fitted together completely so the tube is longer in one speaker than in the other and it does not have a smooth bore either.

the tweeter drives don't fit perfectly flush to the horn because the back of the horn moulding is out of spec forcing the driver to sit on at an angle. It was very minor and took 30 minutes with a fine needle file to change the moulding so it fitted perfectly onto the driver.

I posted about this before and mentioned that,as an example of Chinese quality control, Zeiss had planned to make the ZA16-80mm SLR lens in China but the factory failed to meet Zeiss' standards and this lens was delayed four months to market because production had to move to Japan.

Chinese quality control is not as good as other countries, even other Asian countries, so check the goods you buy - YOU are the quality control officer.

Cheers

WHAT!!! HOW COULD THIS BE? YOU'RE REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE CONTRADICTS THE UNBIASED EXPERT OPINIONS THAT PRECEEDED YOUR POST,.... HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Hi all,

Two faults :

the bass reflex tube is made of two sections and in one of the speakers these two sections had not been fitted together completely so the tube is longer in one speaker than in the other and it does not have a smooth bore either.

the tweeter drives don't fit perfectly flush to the horn because the back of the horn moulding is out of spec forcing the driver to sit on at an angle. It was very minor and took 30 minutes with a fine needle file to change the moulding so it fitted perfectly onto the driver.

I posted about this before and mentioned that,as an example of Chinese quality control, Zeiss had planned to make the ZA16-80mm SLR lens in China but the factory failed to meet Zeiss' standards and this lens was delayed four months to market because production had to move to Japan.

Chinese quality control is not as good as other countries, even other Asian countries, so check the goods you buy - YOU are the quality control officer.

Cheers

• Klipsch Employees

To give you an idea of our QC in China, Andre has be there for the better part of 3 months. Making sure things are working the way he wants on a new line he has comming out. We have a staff of 15 or so Engineers that are from China and spend their days at the vendors looking over their sholder.

We test most of the incomming parts to the final vendor and 100 % of all finished goods are tested to our Eng. standards. We set up the rules for the test. We go over there to make sure these rules are understood and used. We spot check incomming products when they reach the US. In Eng. we test samples of each production run as they come through the lab.

Over all, (ie all Klipsch products) have a less than 3% return rate. Of that 3%, 75 % are found to have no problem. Thus, over all, we have less than 1% of "bad" product ship to the end user. We sale $150,000,000 in product each year. We share as much or more info on how we do things with our end user than most anyother MFG. out there, no matter what they make. We step up and fix all problems as they arise.

We look for vendors that care for their workers. Doing things like paying over time, time off, health care. After my trip to China, I call many of them my friend.

What more could we do?

I have no issues with the quality of Klipsch Products. In fact I don't even consider warranty when purchasing but that's just me.

Actually i'm not sure if I own any Klipsch produced outside the US...maybe some bookshelves or outdoors.

To give you an idea of our QC in China, Andre has be there for the better part of 3 months. Making sure things are working the way he wants on a new line he has comming out. We have a staff of 15 or so Engineers that are from China and spend their days at the vendors looking over their sholder.

We test most of the incomming parts to the final vendor and 100 % of all finished goods are tested to our Eng. standards. We set up the rules for the test. We go over there to make sure these rules are understood and used. We spot check incomming products when they reach the US. In Eng. we test samples of each production run as they come through the lab.

Over all, (ie all Klipsch products) have a less than 3% return rate. Of that 3%, 75 % are found to have no problem. Thus, over all, we have less than 1% of "bad" product ship to the end user. We sale $150,000,000 in product each year. We share as much or more info on how we do things with our end user than most anyother MFG. out there, no matter what they make. We step up and fix all problems as they arise.

We look for vendors that care for their workers. Doing things like paying over time, time off, health care. After my trip to China, I call many of them my friend.

What more could we do?

All of that sounds good...I think you will always have some people that are not happy with your product not matter what you do. IMO, this is just the way it is. You get the pleasure of having to deal with such questions because of an 800 customer service number and/or an open forum. Some will not like that products are made in the US, China, or some other country.

To give you an idea of our QC in China, Andre has be there for the better part of 3 months. Making sure things are working the way he wants on a new line he has comming out. We have a staff of 15 or so Engineers that are from China and spend their days at the vendors looking over their sholder. We test most of the incomming parts to the final vendor and 100 % of all finished goods are tested to our Eng. standards. We set up the rules for the test. We go over there to make sure these rules are understood and used. We spot check incomming products when they reach the US. In Eng. we test samples of each production run as they come through the lab. Over all, (ie all Klipsch products) have a less than 3% return rate. Of that 3%, 75 % are found to have no problem. Thus, over all, we have less than 1% of "bad" product ship to the end user. We sale $150,000,000 in product each year. We share as much or more info on how we do things with our end user than most anyother MFG. out there, no matter what they make. We step up and fix all problems as they arise. We look for vendors that care for their workers. Doing things like paying over time, time off, health care. After my trip to China, I call many of them my friend. What more could we do?

Trey, I know you're a straight shooter, and your statements here help me feel a little better about Klipsch's involvement in China. While the vast majority of us would prefer all Klipsch products to be made in the USA by American workers, the market dynamics of competition drive Klipsch to cut labor costs to survive. I'd rather have Klipsch around and thriving rather than have them shut down and close due to unwillingness to evolve economically. Between Trey's commentary on quality control and the fact that Klipsch still produces Heritage and other high performance models in Hope, I tend to believe that Klipsch is doing a good job making sound decisions given the current global marketplace.

Kimball

Thanks Trey for the deep inside look at the Chinese manufacturer of the Klipsh products. I was kind of concerned after reading so much about the product recalls of the Chinese manufactured goods. I 100% agree that I would like to see Klipsch do good than to loose market with strong competition and economic restrains. We are all pround owners of the Klipsch products and I wish them all the best. Thanks for all inputs.

Loud&Clear writes: "....the market dynamics of competition drive Klipsch to cut labor costs to survive."

I have a negative opinon of companies that ship our jobs overseas for several reasons: A) Yes, they do ship jobs overseas to keep costs down FOR THEM. Which means MORE PROFIT at the cost of our jobs. Who is going to buy these "low-cost products" after all of our jobs (including YOURS) are in another country? B) These companies make cheaper products which end-up actually costing us more. I'm an electrical contractor and over the years have seen the materials I use get worse and worse. It ends up costing more money due to faulty materials and added labor to fix or replace (or install) these parts.

Now, having said that, I do own alot of Klipsch products and have no complaints about their quality and performance.

In addition, I sell the stuff (we have a TON of boxes headed out the front door) and the defect rate is noticably lower than everything else *AND* there are less long-term problems.

Whatever Klipsch is doing...they are doing it well (and better than everyone else).

WHAT!!! HOW COULD THIS BE? YOU'RE REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE CONTRADICTS THE UNBIASED EXPERT OPINIONS THAT PRECEEDED YOUR POST,.... HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Hi all,

Two faults :

Cheers

Well, what can I say ? The horn moulding for both tweeters was off so it was clearly a die problem - I have kept two photos of it if you want to see them. In the pic, you will see the right hand edge is 1mm higher and there is clearly a bend across the base of the tweeter mounting from left to right.

I live in Hong Kong so there isn't any way I can return the speakers or make a warranty claim as far as I'm aware and actually I wouldn't want to; I am quite happy to fix the moulding myself and I think it is a minor problem anyway.

I couldn't fix the bass tube problem because it is glued together already and I would have to break the tube and break this from the cabinet to do it and that would create a worse problem in the end. It is something I have to live with. If someone from Klipsch is reading this and would like to offer to fix this problem then do get in touch !!

I work in Hong Kong and of course I've been to the mainland many times and have western friends who work there. Some like it, some hate it. All agree that the quality standards are lower and for many factory workers it really is necessary to stand over their shoulders and make sure they do things 'right'. However, they often work much longer hours than western people and for less money so I think it is a case of getting what you pay for.

All agree that Chinese people are very warm and friendly people and this has been my experience when I've got to know them. They don't respect strangers, however, that is hardly surprising with a billion of them in your face.

Anyway, I love my RF-52s and recommend them highly ! I just wish I'd checked them in the shop but I didn't know I needed to. You guys living in the US don't need to worry - it's easy for you to take things back if you are not perfectly happy. You have the best of it ! Be happy !

Buy American-Buy Union! OK, having said that, I am an American worker building American Trucks. Many of our parts are from foreign countries. My job is to assemble the product to a certain specification. I have the right to shut down the assembly line should I encounter a quality issue. I wonder if the foreign worker has that option. Workers are workers wherever they are located. It's in the manufacturing, engineering, and management processes where the quality lies. Of course if you are given junk parts to assemble to begin with, you build junk. There is way too much finger pointing at the worker for quality issues. You can only do the job that you are allowed to do. Quality starts at the very top of any company and works it way down.

I'm sure Klipsch has the highest standards for quality. After all, their reputation is on the line. I'm not happy about anybody using cheaper foreign labor, but it is a way of life in our global economy. I will still do my part in supporting the American worker and American companies whenever I can. After all, my Union job allows me ability to buy Klipsch and other quality products. One of the Union's slogans is "buy what you build". How many Chinese workers can afford to do that?

Just my opinion-kevin

So Kevin is one of those guys that built my truck huh? I drove a 1984 Chevrolet truck for 11 years, a 1994 Chevrolet truck for 14 years and now a 2006 Chevrolet truck I've had for a year a half I'm starting to drive more. No problems with any of them. I love those Union labels.

Keith

That's why I try to buy things made in the US when I can. Sometimes I even pay more.

Recently I found a Pilot brand stick pen missing the end cap that holds in the ink refill on my desk. Sure enough, the cap was on the floor next to the desk with teeth marks on it from one of our teenage daugters who had twisted it off. Would there be enough lead or other dangerous substance in a pen cap that chewing on it would hurt? Probably not. Even less likely with a Pilot pen made in the USA. Yes. A package of 10 is a few cents more than other brands made elsewhere but I also like the way they write better.

Most people say it doesn't matter ... but it does to the people who used to make that product in the US or who still do. Guess who's paying, or rather has paid, to build up the manufacturing capabilities of China?

I'm pretty sure that with Klipsch the quality is monitored and that they contract with Chinese companies who treat they're employees better than average. I'd also like to think that they are manufacturing things in China to stay competitive with the competition though for many companies it's probably to squeeze out the highest profits. Not everyone can afford Heritage or the higher end Reference products but if they start with the Synergy products they'll be more likely to upgrade to the higher level Klipsch products in the future.

I was very excited when Trey and others went to China to see first hand how things are done.

We, (My family has a business in Foshan, China, and here in the USA..), have been in China since 2002. I have tried to explain on several occasions my "real world" experience vs what you read about or hear out there on business in China. It is different, we are extremely pleased, and about everything Trey experienced, and Klipsch has too....we have also.

There are good people here, and overseas good people too. We can work for a common goal and produce fantastic products. When you get down to the basics of life, we all want to survive and have a family, live in a safe place, have food and water, some extra spending money, and have a purpose as well in our families and other peoples lives around us.

The world is getting a LOT smaller through computer and manufacturing technology. We either work together, or create a false sense of security that we can do it all and everything should always be done the way it used to be done forever. In business with rare exceptions, this is not good.

I heard a great speaker in the late 90's say, "We either work together for mutual benefits or we close the door to opportunity." That is true for a LOT of things... You do not usually go to war with friends you work with. IMO, when it is a win win for both sides, in this case China... USA.... We hopefully pave the way for BOTH contries to succeed.