Heritage Center Channel DIY W/pics

This is my interpretation of a heritage center channel. I originally got this idea in my head because I started to get bored and wanted something to build and the attached picture is what I ended up with. Then I started searching for heritage center channel in the forum and found every ones thoughts on it and I realize that I was not far off in my plans, but found none built with 2-12s built like a traditional center channel.

I originally started out with a box that had 2 12s but was not happy with the plain black box that I built so I built a new better one to match my main lascalas. What I ended up with was a box 14 tall 48 across and 25 deep. This box sits on a stand which makes the top of the box at 30 inches with feet attached. I will probably build one more set of risers for my stand so I have 2 options as to the height I want it to sit at. My box is (from my memory) is 7cuft and tuned around 38 Hz. My box also has interchangeable woofer plates that can accept a speaker as large as 12.75 in diameters. Right now it is using a k24 temporarily. My project is not yet finished but I thought it has finally reached a point that was worth sharing with fellow forum friends. I originally posted in technical about which 2 12s I should go with and haven’t got any response. If anyone reads this one and has any input before I make a choice it would be much appreciated http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/102889.aspx

[:P]

274974213_6nAD6-M.jpg[:D]

274974299_ChhXC-M.jpg[:D]

Yes it is a monster. On Monday my grill cloth arrives with the grill pins so I will be able to finish up the front until I decide on which woofer to go with. As far as sound is concerned it sounds really good to me but I have to tweak it a little. I am using a heresy type e xover right now and still deciding on how I want to set up the network. Right now the only way I have tried it out is at my jobs shop which is a large production warehouse. Needless to say there are a lot of echoes but it does have a real live sound to it. Some times I can get the 12s to bottom out as this is being tested only as one channel of a stereo setup I don’t think I will have to worry about that as a center channel use but that is why I am considering using different 12s. Believe it or not I have no place to use it right now so it will be used as my shop speaker or I will put into my storage shed till I get my own place to live. I don’t build things for my today I build it for my future so I have my dream in the future.The main plywood is Quilted Pomele Sapele or as my shop calls it just Pomele Sapele. The accent edges are cherry wood. Just in case if any one asks.

Thanks to all that have posted with compliments and to all that will post in the future.[:D]

her is a pic of my mains all matching veneer inside and out except one panel [:(]

257302734_6FNGr-L.jpg

Very, very nice!!!

Lacewood?

Just curious... What kind of veneer glue did you use on the inner panels?

The veneer that was used for both project was pomele sapeli. I am just glad that i getit for free it is a lot of $$. As for the lascala how i glued the inside pieces it was on a industrial press that presses full sheets of veneer on to plywood. I have acess to this with the company I work for. We do not sell to the general public. we only deal in large quantities. I have an example in my project lascala post from some time ago and no they are not fully done yet still nees xover and woofers BEC will be gettin my business soon and if funds are good so will ALK. Here is the link to the lascala build http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/59662.aspx?PageIndex=1

Beautiful... This (sans the stand) is what I have been imagining sitting on top of my Mits RPTV (instead of my little Academy)

Of course it would help balance out if I had a pair of La Scalas instead of my (still wonderful-sounding) Fortes.

I love the Sapele wood... it seemed a good alternative to Rosewood when I was veneer shopping for my subwoofer enclosure.

Keep us updated on the the sound tweaking.

A design question: Did you use any polyfill or other dampening material on the interior? Also, what kind of bracing did you engineer into this?

just an update to the project. I am almost done with the build. i had to take a few days off from it i wasnt happy with the look of the black grils i made for them so i took some tim to ponder a new idea. If my plans go well this week i will have them done and be able to post some finished pictures up soon. still need to get new woofers first. K-28 is the winner in my choice of driver for this project. also thanks for all the comments

This was my first attempt at my speaker grill as you can see it does not do it justice I was not happy with it so I had to come up with a new idea

280585326_4hTS6-M.jpg

And this below is what i came up with. to me it just make the speaker just look more elegant than the plain old square black grill sorry for the smuge of dust on the grill. You have to love the temp. speaker stand

280585563_xq5KZ-M.jpg

BTW does anyone know the best way to refinish the k400 to new black paint and what paint should i use

I thought i had some internal pictures on this camera but i guess i forgot to take thoes pictures yet.

well my first atempt at my speaker grill did not look like i wanted it to as you can see from the pic below

280585326_4hTS6-M.jpg

So i had to start over an come up with a new idea and this is what i came up with

280586907_Ti6JZ-M.jpg

280586907_Ti6JZ-M.jpg

as you can see it definitly makes the speaker look beter at least to me.

BTW does anyone know the best way to repaint a k400 to make it look new again