I Think..........

bluesboy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If global warming is caused by human activity, then what human activity? Blaming what has been observed so far solely on the combustion of fossil fuels is not correct. Deforestration, particularly in large regions such as the Amazon rain forest certainly is a major contributor. Undoubtedly others will be mentioned.

Don

Honk if you love Horns

Guest srobak

I'm sure there can be an intelligent debate on this.

There can be intelligent debate on a lot of things - or even simply discussing not involving any debate at all. Doesn't mean it will not (or has not) get not just locked, but completely deleted.

People (well - the un-informed anyhow) whine about global warming when the temps get too hot too early or too late in the year, without having any idea what Global Warming truly is, or the fact that it has happened over and over again like the ice ages, and it will continue to do so. To break it down to their level - on any given day that someone is whining - I go back and look up the record high and low for that day. The majority of the time the record high is between 75 to 125 years ago, while the record low is in the last 25 to 50 years. That usually shuts them up about it for the moment.

Changing it back is relatively easy. The object is to get as much debris into the air as possible (Keep sunlight out) This would entail setting off a multitude of volcanoes (with nukes) being carefull as to the number as we would slide into an ice age. One must be carefull not to set off a "super volcano" which ice cores and sea cores have shown that a 2000 year ice age followed there with. Small problem with this method would be eliminatimg the human race. What the hell, it is a solution.

JJK

I remember an article in Rolling Stone about a scientist who proposes seeding the upper atmosphere with particles to help shield the earth. It makes sense for cooling, plus there is no need to set off volcanoes.

I don't think it's that man is contributing but pretty much everything that is happening by man happens normally by way of animals, volcanos, fires caused by lightning and such. The changes in the earth are going to happen, its a fact. We might be speeding it up a bit but even if we stop every thing and go back to living in caves the earth is going to do what the earth does. The climates change its a fact with or with out our help.

It seems the point that raises fists is whether or not "man" is causing climate change. For many, the idea that "man" could possibly be contributing to this invokes the fearful prospect of having to stop something they are doing, or enjoy doing, or worse yet, be forced to stop.

-Massive seas of plastic rubbish float in the oceans

-Rain forests are being burnt and cut down far faster than they grow

-rivers the world over are flowing with carcinogens, poisons, chemicals and more

-the air in many places will choke you to near death

-Smokestacks spew tons and tons per second of sulfer into the air

-FIshstocks are disappearing

-Fish are loaded with mercury and lead and strontium 90

Now, does anyone dispute these "man made" collossal hells? We can be doing all that - which ought to be obvious on the surface - but we "can't possibly" be contributing to climate change? Interesting.

don't forget those GD pro amps

I wouldn't put it past the ability of people to change the environment. It happens every day. I think, though, that there must be way too much assumption in an argument that man is, in fact, warming the earth.

I think a bigger question is along the lines of a question like this: "How do we know it is not God's Will to warm the earth?" We are so busy working on the assumption that warming the earth is bad because it threatens certain species. However, species have been coming and going for hundreds of millions of years. I would assume that normal reliance on faith as to what is "right" or "wrong" has much to do what what we believe some larger power would "want." If that is the case, then why, with all the prior extinctions before our time, do we hasten to conclude this larger power does not want to eliminate a few more species?

Global warming is not necessarily evil. In fact, I would venture to think it might make Siberia more hospitable to many species that require a warmer climate.

Guest srobak

I think a bigger question is along the lines of a question like this: "How do we know it is not God's Will to warm the earth?"

Oh that just opens up an entirely new kind of can o worms...

Separation of church and planet!

Imagine the headaches THAT will cause...

I think a bigger question is along the lines of a question like this: "How do we know it is not God's Will to warm the earth?"

Oh that just opens up an entirely new kind of can o worms...

Separation of church and planet!

Imagine the headaches THAT will cause...

It makes you think, though.... [:^)]

I think it is presumptuous to run around fearing we are destroying nature when, more likely, we are just an active part of its evolution.

OK first off, I have a friend who knows a guy who met a dude, so I can say for certain the center of the earth is Salty Choclate Balls.

Next you guys just take it easy about that save the tree's crap, do you want a forest full of bugs, or some sweet exotic wood speakers!!! That's what I thought!!

Lastly please explain how it is that man can change the global climate but can't fix a little drought. Small localized issue, should be easy, Don't give me that cloud seeding crap... That was in Nam wasn't it???? seed here rain somewhere we hope.

Guest srobak

Next you guys just take it easy about that save the tree's crap, do you want a forest full of bugs, or some sweet exotic wood speakers!!! That's what I thought!!

QUOTE OF THE YEAR! Beautiful! :) hahaha on a speaker forum...

Lastly please explain how it is that man can change the global climate but can't fix a little drought. Small localized issue, should be easy, Don't give me that cloud seeding crap... That was in Nam wasn't it???? seed here rain somewhere we hope.

Reminds me of an old Sam Kinesson (spl) routine...

"I try to help the famine, and do my part... so - I am with this big group of trucks, and we are out here driving across the desert in Ethiopia, bringing food to the people and all that - and I realize something. I realize that there wouldn't be world hunger if you people would live where FOOD IS! You live in a desert!!!"

*grabs one by the arm*

"Come here... you see this? Huh?"

*tosses sand in the air repeatedly*

"What's this? Huh? Sand... yeah, sand, see? You wanna know what it's gonna be a hundred years from now? IT'S GONNA BE SAND!"

Trees are a renewable resource, as long as they are treated that way

I agree 100%, now having said that I live in Maine, one of the big forestery states, and wouldn't you know the state government is trying very hard to stop everyone from using wood to heat their homes. They perfer Saudi Oil, I guess it brings in more taxes.

Trees, fish, deer renewable recorces. Oil not so much.

BTW did anyone else read the report that al gore is contributiong to global warming by planting so many trees. It seems trees planted in northern climates, take in co2 all summer then in the fall they lose their leaves, which then rot giving off co2, and so on.....

"For the people that love AG's fake charts how come there isn't a giant spike right after Mt. St. Helens blew ( more CO2 into the atmo. than everything man has ever done. OPPS forgot doesn't fit the mold, we can't count that."

And he missed Mt Pinitubo.

And he missed the one in Mexico a few years before that (it caused crop failures).

And he missed Krakatoa (just after the Civil War, it caused crop failures two years in a row).

Junk science with an agenda?

Maybe Greenland will become green again?

Anyone notice that bluesboy started this thread and ran on out to happy hour? Biodegradeable beer bugs hopefullyWink

And yes Kev.....bluesboy is very much insane....right this minute he is looking up Chicago in his road atlas.

Tarheel, I think I found it. Chicago's way up there in yankee land somewere. You wanna go? I can't comment further cause Amy says we can't get political.