Bad habits I picked up in Russia

greg928gts

Before Russia, I didn't drink coffee at all.

Coffee in Russia, as in other European countries, is very strong, almost like Espresso I think.

My host Sergei on the first day asked if I wanted coffee and I said sure, what the heck. He's got a coffee maker from Miele like the one pictured below built into his kitchen cabinets. It makes very strong but very good tasting coffee. The first cup tasted bitter to me, so I tried putting sugar in it and it just tasted like bitter coffee with sugar, so I didn't do that again. After a few cups I started to like it, and before my trip was over I was ordering it everywhere.

Now I think I'd like to get a coffee maker, but I want the same kind of strong coffee, not the watery kind that I'm being served in my local restaurants. Do I have to get an Espresso maker?

I went to Starbucks the other day and ordered a quad espresso. It was good, but not as good as Sergei's coffee.

During my trip in Russia, we went to a cafe one mid morning and Sergei asked if I wanted a coffee. Next thing I know, he brings me a coffee, a brandy, and a glass of orange juice. This was a great combination that I have now ordered a couple of times back here in the States. So now I'm drinking brandy.

Bad habits.

Greg

post-11090-13819367865686_thumb.jpg

That's just too funny, Greg. My brother-in-law was on a business trip to Italy, a few years ago. He loves coffee, drinks it all the time, but had never tried espresso. He saw these guys on the street order an espresso at a stand... walk down the street a block and order another. He finally tried one, and immediately felt his heart rate go throught the roof. Now he understands...

Starbuck over roasts their beans...[N] but I will still order certain coffees of theirs.

Bruce

The quad espresso was stronger than Sergei's coffee, but not as good.

I've had Starbucks espresso a dozen times now, and I've tried a few of their regular black coffee's and "over roasting" is a good way to describe the flavor that I taste. The first time I thought "too hot" and "burnt", so I would agree completely.

I can't tell if Sergei's machine was making coffee that is strong or espresso that is weak. I've learned there is a difference in the process of making each. I'm leaning towards getting an espresso machine, but I have to learn more about them, and I can't spend $2,700 on one!

Greg

Greg I dink lots of espresso, growing up in Miami, I got hooked on "cuban Coffee" this stuff is thick like mud!!!!

Nedless to say you can't buy it outside of Florida, you can buy "Bustello supremo" and make it on the stove top with one of those cheap makers (like a minature of an old fashioned coffee maker)

I bought a "Tassimo" machine about $170 it makes good espresso, and it's the easiest machine to use.

What was the brand of coffee Sergi was using????

I can't tell if Sergei's machine was making coffee that is strong or espresso that is weak. I've learned there is a difference in the process of making each. I'm leaning towards getting an espresso machine, but I have to learn more about them, and I can't spend $2,700 on one!

We in Louisiana have the secret of good coffee... no machines. We use French drip coffee pots and pour the water (boiling hot) used to make the coffee manually. The biggest secret, however, is the coffee used. We use fine ground dark roast coffee. Community or Louisianne are the only brands I'll touch. Stay away from coffee and chickory. It is nasty and I believe the only people down here drinking it are tourists. Starbucks? LOL

Don

Honk if you love Horns

The biggest secret, however, is the coffee used. We use fine ground dark roast coffee. Community or Louisianne are the only brands I'll touch.

Some of my family lived in Lousiana for a number of years. My Mother-in-law continued to have Community Coffee shipped to her home in Chattanooga as long as she was alive. If you decided to put cream in her coffee, it didn't turn light brown...it turned gray.

And a former boss from Louisiana started having his fillings fall out. He went to his dentist, who had a look at his teeth. He asked hime, "Do you drink Community Coffee, by any chance?" Great stuff!

Startbuck's Verona is a decent coffee, and some of Seattle's Best are ok (owned by Starbuck's)

But I'm mostly partial to a local shop, recently sold, but still roasting and brewing mighty fine coffee.

Bruce

I emailed Sergei and asked him if his machine was making coffee or espresso during my visit. Here's his response:

"About coffee- we drank just GOOD coffee. Espresso can be made by my machine, but it is stronger and cups are small for that. In the USA everybody drinks much water with a little coffee, everywhere it is called "American" coffee."

So it was just coffee, but it had a much stronger coffee flavor. It was a little bitter, but not any more bitter than the few other coffee's I've had and I got used to it very quickly. I got so I really liked the strong dark flavor.

Sergei was the one who told me about quad espresso's. I wouldn't have thought of that on my own. Not yet anyway.

I'm going to try the Louisiana approach, with boiling water over ground coffee in a strainer. Fine ground.

Anyone want to talk about brandy? I've learned that brandy starts out as wine, and then goes through a distillation process and aging in wood casks. It is an agricultural spirit made mostly from fruit wines (grape, pear, plum, etc...), not a grain-based like vodka and gin (although here in Maine we make a potato based vodka). I've learned how a snifter works. The glass, being curved the way it is, requires you to stick your whole nose in it in order to get a sip.

Brandy connoiseurs sp? describe their experiences in the most ridiculous ways. Here's one:

"Pale golden color. Suede, toasted Brazil nuts, and fragrant baked plum and pear aromas. A round, silky entry leads to a dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body of a melange of stone fruit, autumn fruit, and golden raisin flavors with delightful acacia honey and heather accents that are curiously reminiscent of lowland Scotch. Finishes with a long, fruit and spice fade with a dash of white pepper and mineral dust".

Reminds me of how us audiophiles describe our listening experiences!

Greg

Cafe Americano

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Americano (coffee))
Jump to: navigation, search

Café Américano or simply Americano (the name is also spelt with varying capitalization and use of diacritics: e.g. café Americano, cafe americano, etc.) is a style of coffee prepared by adding espresso to hot water, giving a similar strength but different flavor than regular drip coffee (the strength of an americano can vary depending on the number of shots of espresso added). Like espresso, americano tends to be an acquired taste, and many drinkers prefer it black and unsweetened to fully appreciate the taste of the coffee.

A variation of the beverage is the iced americano. Instead of hot water, the espresso is combined with cold water.

[edit] Origin

One popular explanation for the name is that it was originally intended as an insult to Americans, who wanted their espresso diluted. During the Second World War, American occupational forces in Italy searched for the "cup of joe" they were accustomed to at home, which local baristas tried to emulate for them.[1] If this is the case, many American coffee drinkers are either unaware of or unfazed by the derogatory nature of the name, even in some cases going so far as to misinterpret americano as being a uniquely American way to drink espresso[citation needed]. Regardless of the true origins of the name, it is clear that americano was not popular in the United States until the explosion of chain coffeehouses, such as Starbucks, in the 1990s. Even now, Americano is far from the most popular coffee drink consumed in U.S. coffeehouses.

Though they both contain espresso, a red eye is made with drip coffee instead of hot water.

A lungo may be confused with an americano but while an americano is made by adding normal strength espresso to water, a lungo is made by passing extra water through the coffee grounds. While both drinks are essentially diluted espresso, the different techniques produce distinct flavors.

A good coffie also depends on the blend and roasting. If it was "bitter" it was probably 100% Arabica beans. There are worlds of differences between coffie in the states,Germany, Denmark, Italy etc. The American coffie (Folgers and co.) tend to be on the watery side void of body. The Italians that I know drink one or 2 cups of Espresso but ask me to send German coffie to drink through the day. Normally here the Germans drink a lot of coffie, 8 to 10 cups a day. Espresso is actually "healthier" than normal coffie due to roasting methods and the higher temp. during brewing.

These machines are very easy to use and don't cost a fortune "just to try out"

http://www.espressozone.com/espresso-makers.html

Have fun whatever you choose.