Gas Prices, etc. ....

oldbuckster

Guest srobak

BTW rice has gone up 122% in the last year, corn 66% while gas is only up 41%.

However - gas has gone up nearly 300% in the last 5 years. I don't know where you are buying rice from - but I pay less for it now than I did 5 years ago - however milk has nearly tripled in the same time period.

Interesting that my pay does not reflect these same changes.

ABC news radio says that "drive offs" are increasing with prices. One would think that to be a logical consequence of high prices. However, I don't even know of a gas station where I could fill up without prepayment with a credit card or the pump or cash to the attendant. When prepaid with cash, the pump won't even run beyond the prepayment/

Does anyone know of any examples of a station that still operates letting the customer fill up without payment first?

I haven't seen one of these places in years.

BTW rice has gone up 122% in the last year, corn 66% while gas is only up 41%.

However - gas has gone up nearly 300% in the last 5 years.  I don't know where you are buying rice from - but I pay less for it now than I did 5 years ago - however milk has nearly tripled in the same time period. 

Interesting that my pay does not reflect these same changes. 

There is some weird rice problem going on, though as some of the stores in our area (Sam's?) have limited the amount you can buy.

• Moderators

Does anyone know of any examples of a station that still operates letting the customer fill up without payment first?

I haven't seen one of these places in years.

We have those all over here. If you push the button that says "pay inside," a booming voice comes over the PA system saying "PUMP 2, YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED, PLEASE SEE ATTENDED WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED." I guess that's their attempt to make you feel like you are being watched.

Regardless, you can pump before you pay at most places here. Maybe not for long.

$4.00 a gallon gas would have cost you $.96 a gallon in 1975, so lets keep it in perspective.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

But in 1975, I could have bough 9 Snickers bars for $.96. I don't feel much better.....

except that $4.00 today will only buy me 4-5 Snickers bars. I will have to boycott chocolate, too. All these conspirators must be taught a lesson!!!!

It's wierd around here (and please don't see this as a flame). The stations that are franchises and that are owned by some middle eastern family require payment up front. The ones that are American owned and staffed mostly do not....

We have at least four examples of this in our neighborhood.

Stewarts Shops here in the North Country are Pump then Pay, but they do have camera's. It's really a shame that one person steals the gas, and the rest of us are treated like thieves .........................

Regular Unleaded ; $3.71 .... Home Fuel Oil : unchanged .... Diesel Fuel ; $4.70