Gas Prices, etc. ....

oldbuckster

Wow! That is very nice!

Right now, I am restoring a '53 Buick Special. I got it from Duke Spinner's territory out of NY. Glenns Fall was the town. 3 days after it arrived, a tree snapped and fell on it. It seemed the opportunity to do a complete body restoration and paint job could not have presented itself in a better way, although I was very disgusted at the time.

Next, I will take on my '60 Bel-Air. Then, I'll stop messing around with old cars, except just to preserve and drive what I have.

Glenns Fall was the town.

That Be my neck of the Woods ............... Ol' Dukester is out West more .............. Glens Falls, you should see the Car Show up the road in Lake George week-end after Labor day ............... Awesome display !!!!!!!!!

Tip on VW Bug. Gap the plugs a bit less than .060". (maybe .045") There are some atmospheric conditions ((humidity) that will prevent the plugs from firing (maybe 2 days of the year) that will require someone with a big car to push you about 1/4 mile to get it started. Found this out with my uncle's VW bug. He hated it. I hated it because it was white. I hate white cars.

JJK

Glenns Fall was the town.

That Be my neck of the Woods ............... Ol' Dukester is out West more .............. Glens Falls, you should see the Car Show up the road in Lake George week-end after Labor day ............... Awesome display !!!!!!!!!

Yes, that's right! It was way up in the northeastern part of the state, next to Vermont.

I sure do remember though having to wait 15-20 seconds after we got in the car befor the glow-plugs would warm up. THEN you could start it.

FYI, a quick push of one modern diesel's start button without holding it does the entire sequence -- a couple seconds' glow plug and then the starter. It's running and ready to go before you can put on your seat belt.

I use platinum coated small aircraft engine style plugs in mine. Instead of a single contact element bent up from the side and over the center to form the gap, the center electrode is surounded by a ring of 6 fixed perimeter segments. The gap is really a ring around the center electrode, pre-machined and needs no adjustment, designed to provide very reliable and precise gap and performance for a very long time.. I also switched to electronic ignition about two years ago.

Jeff, those fancy plugs make the bug run real well, but the overall "frequency response" is the same - old bugs like to run best at around 2500rpm, staying out of fourth gear around town, so for the car overall it's still about 0-60mph in 30 seconds.

Are you running a Porsche 911 GT2?

JJK

Not yet anyway.......:)

It's an 03' Acura TL Type-S (only 27k miles). I know it can run on lower grades but I only take about 1 1/2 miles to my park-n-ride bus stop 5 days a week. I'd walk but there aren't any sidewalks and there are a lot of blind turns. The 94 octane gas helps keep the plugs from fouling with a more complete burn.

Jeff, those fancy plugs make the bug run real well, but the overall "frequency response" is the same - old bugs like to run best at around 2500rpm, staying out of fourth gear around town, so for the car overall it's still about 0-60mph in 30 seconds.

Even more fun is how long it takes to top out. Got our 1500 cc up to 85mph once on a flat straightaway. Almost never use fourth gear either. Love that car!

Paid $4.05/gal reg. yesterday. I have a feeling that like the "candy bar game", they will soon start selling it by the liter to make the price seem better. "Hey! Gas is down to $1.10 today! Holy Cow!! (uh, that's a liter Bud.)

$1.10 a liter? Lucky you! It's been over $1.30 a liter here lately. Vancouver Island has the priciest gas in Canada at the moment.