Warren Zevon and Tubes

kfoss99

All of you two-channel guys seem to be tube guys, too.

I have been listening to a lot of Warren Zevon lately and the first verse of his song "Carmelita" is:

I hear Mariachi static on my radio/And the tubes they glow in the dark/And I'm there with her in Ensendada/And I'm here in Echo Park

So, my question is, is he referring to a tube amp? I know very little about them. Also, are there any other Zevon fans around?

I started really listening to him last year and he has quickly become a favorite of mind.

I think Mark nailed it(although I'd like to think he was settin' there with his hifi on).Warren Z is for sure one of my favorite artist,vocalization,lyrics and music,he is/wasTop Notch.Too bad we lost him,he had the zh!t till' it all got smoked.

Another Warren Z. fan here. Excitable Boy was one of the great, often overlooked albums of the 70s IMO.

"I was gambling in Honduras. I took a little risk. Send lawyers, guns and money. Dad get me out of this."

He was always fun to see live and it was always a small venue. Constitution Hall was the largest place I ever saw him play and that was in the early 80s I think. Its been a while since I pulled out a WZ LP. I'll have to play one tonight.

Actually got turned on to Warren my first semetser in college. Thankful to the roommate for that.

That particular song, Echo Park is a location in Los Angeles. Learned that when I was stationed at Tustin MCAF, south of LA proper, which no longer exists.

Anyway, that particular album had lots of support if you go and read the liners. Don Henley and some other of the Eagles, a young Stevie Nicks, and others.

Supposedly, Warren made his bones as a keyboardest (sic) for the Everly Brothers (sic). (validation would be nice)

kevin

also a warren zevon fan.

have a wz playlist on the ipod and was driving around yesterday listening to him. used to be poor pitiful me, those young girls won't let me be. Now that i'm in my 50's i've changed the lyrics to those young girls won't talk to me.

i always took the static line to mean he was listening to an AM station, like the X from mexico, because FM was just starting to kick in when he was getting started.

great under rated artist who left us too soon.

danny

• Moderators

I'm a huge fan, since '78. Someone gave me Exciteable Boy b/c they said I looked a bit like him at the time. Saw him several times. He was a great great songwriter that everyone in the LA. music business loved but wanted to see out front. His touring band was pretty much Linda Ronstadt's band, at least it was when I saw him, including Waddy Wachtel. He ran in the Jackson Browne, Eagles, Ronstadt, Buckingham Nicks crowd of L.A. They all recorded his songs.

Pick up his Transverse LP, he gets some help from some unheard of's like Neil Young, Jerry Garcia, and David Gilmour.

Now I'm hungery, guess I'll need to head over to a place called Lee Ho Fooks. (The chow mein is to die for)

Travis

Its been a while since I pulled out a WZ LP. I'll have to play one tonight.

That makes the copy of Sentimental Hygiene that much more special, Gary. It is almost mint, and I really was surprised when you included it in the package you sent.

I used to play in a group in Memphis with Rob Jungklas, who makes me think of WZ. He had some bad direction, but is a very prolific writer.

Bruce

His last LP - The Wind - is (or at least was) available on vinyl. Great record although very sad. THe songs "Dirty Life and times" and him singing "Knocking on Heavens Door" and "Keep me in your Heart" are hard to listen to and great at the same time.

Josh

post-12293-13819373874814_thumb.jpg

I 10 Chronicles is a GREAT collection. Willie singing Everybodies Talkin is top notch. Bill Hearns version of LA Freeway is spectacular. Love that CD.Joe Elys contributions are also fantastic. Thanks for reminding me!

Josh

Another big Warren fan hear, and as it sounds for others - Excitable Boy got me started listening when I was in college.

Sentimental Hygiene reference reminds me of another great artist on that track - Neil Young on accompanying guitar. Another true genius.