Ready. Start. Bar-Bar-B-Que!

thebes

Just dropped two Boston butts in the smoker for their 12 hour journey to puled pork.

Here's a sauce recipe I like:

1 Can coke

1 Cup Ketchup

1/4 cup Whatsthishere sauce

1/4 cup steak sauce

1/2 tsp each of black pepper, garlic and oinion powder

Bring to boil on medium heat, then simmer for ten minutes or so until liquid is reduced by 1/4. Tasty.

Now I need a good vinegar-based dipping sauce, one with a little ketchup in it.

Anybody?

Well you're at it, whacha grillin this weekend?

Ahh yes, the season of grilling.

Hopefully take some nice 1/4" burgers, and sprinkle some Adobo (Goya) on it, flip once and touch more. Everyone loves it. Has to be goya, the others dont give the same flavor.

I need a good rib reciepe. Anyone?

You beat me to the smoker by a day! - 2 pork shoulders going on tomorrow morning, after an over night of marinating.

If it's pork - mustard vinegar sauce is a requirement - but you can use this and substitute some catsup - if you must :) - along with the mustard - this is a good base to start from - you can add or delete to your own taste.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil?1/2 cup minced onions?1 cup prepared yellow mustard?1/2 cup fresh lemon juice?1/4 cup brown sugar, packed?1/4 cup white vinegar?1 teaspoon celery seeds?1 teaspoon salt

Heat the oil in a medium-size nonactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, and blend them well. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

A couple of chickens on Monday

5 pounds heavier on Tuesday!

Thebes,

Intersting looking sauce recipe. Thanks.

Here's Smoky Hale's basting sauce from the BBQ Bible. I've used it with good results.

Note: no sugar or tomato. This works for me. It's more forgiving to cook with. When I use sweet or tomato sauce during cooking, it's hard not to get the meat too dark. I use a sweet or tomato sauce for finishing only, just the last 20 0r 30 minutes if a finishing sauce is desired.

Quantitiy Ingredients

1 Onion - medium, chopped
2 cloves Garlic - crushed
2 Carrots - medium, chunked
2 stalks Celery - with leaves, coarsely chopped
2 Bay Leaf
1 teaspoon Thyme - heaping
1 Lemon - juiced and whole lemon included
1 Tablespoon Salt - non-iodized, heaping
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper - fresh ground, heaping
1 quart Water
Simmer above in stainless pot for 30 minutes. Then add:
1/2 pound Butter - unsalted
1 pint Apple Cider Vinegar
Strain, baste meat and let dry and baste again before placing on grill. Baste at 10-15 minute intervals, during cooking

Appreciate that recipe Locknload. I'll brew some up tomorrow.

Forgot to mention these were dry rubbed last night with dry rub from Dinosaur Bar B Que in Syracuse, New York ( rib joint founded by bikers whose ribs would make many Southerners blush with envy). After 7 hours in the smoker they have been removed, covered in foil and are now in the oven at 210 degrees until round about Midnight.

Sounds like a yummy finishin sauce Dee, but no mopping for me. I'm running them dry rubbed all the way. Now dipping sauces are another matter entirely.

I do believe we have a request for a good rib recipe. What's taking you guys so long to help this man out?

I'm mixing up some pork marinade tonight to soak 2 slabs of baby back ribs in until Sunday afternoon when they will go onto the rotisserie spit of the Barbie for a few hours. It's my first time at rostisserie BBQ ribs and I'm a but nervous but I can't wait to see how they turn out! I've done chickens on the rotisserie (it has an infrared back burner) and they came out perfect. -Glenn

Thebes I would love to help you out but I cook on the fly, much like my jazz drumming. What I do is (recipes, we don't need no stinking recipes) is take a basic commercial bbq sauce, and start improvising. Apple cider vinegar, a little worchestershire maybe, they always need hot sauce, whatever kind you feel like. I also have chili infused vinegar to add (grow your favorite chili peppers, put in bottle, pour distilled vinegar in, keep in fridge). Basically you keep doing this until your taste buds say, "yes, this is right." I might have left something out but maybe not. You get there when you get there. I could tell you more but then I'd have to kill you (you know I don't want to do that). Close enough for jazz baby!

Hard to argue with that OT. A couple of years ago this woman was helping me to prepare a dish in my home. The work area just happened to be over the spice drawer. I opened the cupboard and out fell a container of something. I picked it up and immediately sprinkled some of it into whatever we were preparing. She, like most women, was shocked, couldn't think outside the box. Needed a formula. Of course, I wouldn't be telling this story if the food hadn't turned out great.

On another front after 12 hours I just decanted those pork butts. In a half hour I'll pull me some and have a late night snack. Also poured off about a quart of grease/juice which when settled out should brew up a gravy of sorts.

I'm a bbq guy, but I just picked up a smoker for way cheap, I also got some hickory, some damn can't think (that western stuff, I have a Brisket I want to do. I'm also not a recepie guy so someone just point me in the right direction.

Brac here's a link to a recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_29456,00.html

You can use any dry rub available at any store but I would suggest you let it sit overnight in the fridge with the rub on if you can.

Brisket, like pulled pork should be cooked low and slow. You want the final internal temperature to be between 180 and 190 degrees. This is needed to break down the collagen that makes the meat tough. After about 3 or 4 hours smoking you can rap in foil and finish in your oven but use the same temperature (about 210 degrees)

Here's a pic of my pile of pulled pork. Turned out a little bit fattier than I thought but heating it up should render out more of the fat.

post-14801-1381937426651_thumb.jpg

Dang it Thebes, that looks mighty tasty.... my mouth is watering just looking at the picture. Enjoy! I think we're just grillin' some hot dogs on the Weber tonight to which I'm sure we'll add some chili sauce and cheese.

Today was grilling day for those baby back ribs I've had marinating since Friday night. I am embarassed to admit that in the vast garage that we have, I was unable to locate where I'd placed my grill's spit motor. [:S] No problem. I simply decided to place the ribs directly on the grates and cook them low-and-slow. They were finished in 1 hour and 16 minutes @ 400 degrees. To finished them the last 10 minutes, I brushed them with a thick, dark-beer based, molasses/mesquite BBQ sauce. The marinade's cinnimon flavor stil came through the BBQ sauce and was wonderful. It gave them an exotic-flavor much like the Greeks use. They were tender and juicy. Everyone loved them. I am so relieved! Now, to find that durned motor for next time. LOL -Glenn

I am picking one of these up tomorrow:

http://www.bbqgalore.com/smokers/misc/173543

After that its off to my butcher for some baby backs

Turns out they are sold out[:'(], so I had to use my old smoker, which is very difficult to regulate temperature with, but the ribs still turned out very goooooood, especially with my home brewed beer. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I've got one of those smokers - works very well, an excellent place to start without dropping big money on an egg or something. When you get it place a pan of water on the cooking grill next to the smoke vent from the fire box. Adds moisture for anything you'll be smoking for 7-8 or more hours. If you don't get a temp gauge with yours - pick one up, and keep the heat low ~250.

Where you place your food is important on the grill - closer to the firebox vent is hotter, closer to the exhaust vent is cooler.

When adding charcoal or wood to the fire box do it gently - or you'll stir up a mess of wood ash and it'll be all over your food.

Give it a good cleaning once a year when the season starts and you'll be set for the next several years.

I think you'll be happy with it.

Nice dogs by the way - I have 2 GSD's myself

Today was grilling day for those baby back ribs I've had marinating since Friday night. I am embarassed to admit that in the vast garage that we have, I was unable to locate where I'd placed my grill's spit motor. Tongue Tied No problem. I simply decided to place the ribs directly on the grates and cook them low-and-slow. They were finished in 1 hour and 16 minutes @ 400 degrees. To finished them the last 10 minutes, I brushed them with a thick, dark-beer based, molasses/mesquite BBQ sauce. The marinade's cinnimon flavor stil came through the BBQ sauce and was wonderful. It gave them an exotic-flavor much like the Greeks use. They were tender and juicy. Everyone loved them. I am so relieved! Now, to find that durned motor for next time. LOL -Glenn

How in the world is 1 hour and 16 minutes @ 400 degrees F low & slow?? I've done baby backs at 200 to 225 for 3 hours. Now THAT'S low & slow. LOL....

Well.....last Sunday was the first time out for me & my new side-mounted firebox smoker (Char-Griller Duo). I was a bit worried about doing a pork but and a slab of pork ribs and a drunken chicken for a bunch of folks on a grill I've only used twice and have never used the side-mounted firebox. As a matter of fact - I've never smoked a pork but in my life!! To my defense, I'm a pretty decent cook with a good handle on spices and sauces & such. But I know my limitations and that's where my friend John came in. He owns a place called Black Jack's BBQ and I think they produce some of the best BBQ pork I've eaten (to date). So, I picked John's brain for almost a week about he does his pork buts. Not only did he give me a few of his tricks, but supplied me with the wood he uses.

BTW - when I posted a few weeks back about this grill I bought, a couple of folks wanted to know why I wanted a grill that had both gas & charcoal. Honestly - I didn't have an answer. But I do now. I was able to do a drunken chicken (roughtly 1.5 hours @ 350 degrees) on the gas side while doing the pork but and ribs on the charcoal/smoker side at a lower temperature. And it all came off the grill at the same time!!

Anyhow....back to the pork. I guess it was beginner's luck because the pork but and ribs came out darn near perfect. I didn't get the pork but meat that pretty pink color John gets his, but John thinks that's because the wood didn't have quite enough moisture content nor was it green enough. The ribs were a bit tougher than I would've liked but everyone raved about them and they were gone in an instant so maybe I am too critical. Oh - for the ribs I used a rub that's basically Emeril's Essence (go to FoodTV to find it) and on the pork but I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a light coating of cumin.

Tom

I've got one of those smokers - works very well, an excellent place to start without dropping big money on an egg or something. When you get it place a pan of water on the cooking grill next to the smoke vent from the fire box. Adds moisture for anything you'll be smoking for 7-8 or more hours. If you don't get a temp gauge with yours - pick one up, and keep the heat low ~250.

Where you place your food is important on the grill - closer to the firebox vent is hotter, closer to the exhaust vent is cooler.

When adding charcoal or wood to the fire box do it gently - or you'll stir up a mess of wood ash and it'll be all over your food.

Give it a good cleaning once a year when the season starts and you'll be set for the next several years.

I think you'll be happy with it.

Nice dogs by the way - I have 2 GSD's myself

Thanks for the good advice, all I have read on it has been good and I believe the new ones have the chimney lower, closer to the meat level as well as the thermometer.

Oh and BTW the dogs are shepherds just not the German variety. They are actually Belgian Malinois, got 4 of em. But thanks they're good boys.

http://malinoisclub.com/

http://www.workingmalinois.org/