Hurricane Season - 2008

Dave: I really hope that it does not come to having to do all that for you..... It's looking like Hurricane Frances - Gigondo, and while maybe not too powerful to rip the roof, it will take forever to get past you.

For me getting it together with this stuff has become an annual event on the first weekend after 4th of July... pull the tubs, pre-position the shutters, climb up on the roof, check everything (twice) move the 15K generator outside for a full test on the system (I test it once a month with a simple load), etc. Katrina (my wife... not the storm...) goes to walmart and gets 6 rolls of duct tape, 8 big rolls of 55 drum liners, and we start sorting everything out. Then I pull out the chicken bones, the black and red candles, various iconic pictures, pour a bottle of rum into little glasses next to the little dolls with the huricane names pinned on, and head to the "wall of voodoo" for the pre-season "ceremony".....[6][;)]

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the things not to do for a hurricane (trust me...).

No matter how many tears the WAF sheds, how sorry you feel for them, etc. DO NOT bring the outside pets inside. They are smarter than us and always "escape" to the leeward side until it's over. They may give you a dirty look when it's over but a can of tuna will make them all happy and loving again.....

For Frances... my wife decided the cats and the dog needed to be inside.... So, even though I knew what would happen, she would not hear it... we compromised and in the inner garage they went with a plywood panel to keep them out of my "garage", aka: the workshop.... Well, hurricanes sound like a giant freight train coming over and they went nuts and "turded" everything.... Whatta' mess.. We don't talk about the cats, dogs, etc anymore. We make sure they have a good meal before it starts, and they haul butt to wherever they want (usually in the horse trailer parked nose to the wind...)

Inside pets? Just leave them alone, talk to them, and pet them every few minutes and make sure their litter box is fresh.... If they see you are not scared totally witless, they will generally follow you around and help investigate...... Feed them tuna fish; it's pure protein and will cut down on the number of poops that you will have to deal with..... Never lock them in a room that you are not in, or they will go nuts as the "fright train" is passing over...

"Big Pets"? Make them work for you!!! Here's the "Country NHC Huricane Strength-o-meter" using the horses:

• Tropical storm - They just eat in any direction they feel like it....
  • Category-1 - Butts to the wind, continue eating, and "tack" like old sailors to whatever looks yummy in the pasture
  • Category-2 - Butts to the wind, samo - samo, but get closer together for misery & company...
  • Category-3 - Butts to the wind, heads down, but hold up on the eating.....
  • Category-4 - Butts to the wind and hide out on the leeward side of the pole barn.....
  • Category-5 - They pack their little feed bags and pretend they are at the airport for the Wizard of Oz thing.....

Actually quite a few folks here. My house is at 18 feet and nearly forty miles from the open Gulf, though Galveston Bay is only about a mile and a half east.

Pressure 29.68, winds NE 24mph. Oddly, pressure is steady at the moment. Be interesting to see what that means.

Dave

Dave: You gonna' gather up some of the neighbors as it comes over and just party away in the true "Key West - Conch Republic, We Don't Care About No Stinkin' Hurricanes" style? Sort of a demented obligato to the whole Gotterdaemerung theme you proposed. As the water rises, don't forget to play that Mendolsohn "Hebrides" thing....

................................... I am classified as a 500 year flood risk. Of course, it may have been that long...

There's been a lot of discussion about those "XXX year risk" ratings around here lately (since Katrina). A "100 year flood risk" simply means you have a 1% chance of getting your furniture wet every year. A "500 year flood risk" means you have a .2% chance each year. I moved to my current home after Katrina. It's in a 500 year zone, at 21.6 ft elevation and 5 miles north of Lake Pontchartrain. I bought flood insurance anyway. BTW, there's flooding (from Ike) going on right now as I type, 4.9 miles south of my location, and the eye of Ike is 200 miles away from here.......................

Dean, the networks are treating this like any train wreck. It's going to be bad, especially for Galveston, but a Cat 2 as far inland as I am is not a huge threat to life and limb. I've no intention of getting out and driving around or takeing a walk.

No meterolgoy degree...but my friends will tell you I've a better track record with Texas weather than the guys on TV. They pay too much attention to their computers and never take a look outside...

29.62. 18mph NE, light rain.

Dave