Hurricane Season - 2008

Certainly fun last year... well sort of.... NHC and the DoD has some new "tools" for us, so we may be able to get better at seeing where the things are going.

Now's the time to drag out the generators, start laying in water and batteries, etc.....

Here's the NHC "best guess": http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20080522_hurricaneoutlook.html

And here are the names:

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gustav
Hanna
Ike
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paloma
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we will get the good rain, without the rest. Always about due though. Safest place may be out of coastals, although, been known to swath across. Mouth of Suwannee, and the Steinhatchee Rivers, while low for a direct, well...we are still greiving my GF's 96 Honda wagon, tree pancaked it. To bad it did not touch my service vehicle.

Marshall,

What kind of on duty scenarios do you have for hurricanes in your neighborhood. I'm guesssing they don't let you ride at out at home and then show up for work after it's over? If it's anticipated to be a bad one do you send your family to Arkansas?

Unfortunately..... I'm the "out there" liaison with Emergency Management. I also am responsible for providing the alternate Coast Guard boat parking and also ofor other LE agencies if they are in the direct path. It takes me about 12 hours to prep the building for the storm. I then head home, and when the winds are at 45 miles per hour, I get the family to the Emer Mgt building; it's rated at Cat-4+, and we need to make sure that I can get them back to the house as soon as it's over. I basically go to Marine Unit Building and then just transit back and forth, up and down while it's going on. At about 75-80 mph, I generally go to ground at the building, and every time it lets up a little, head to various key intersections and routes in and out of the County. I drive a Dodge 2500 diesel so as long as I'm at about 15-20 mph, I'm fine. i generally stay aligned with the wind. I've been out at 90+, but you just go very slow... Once the winds are down below ~50 mph, I "extract" the family and take them to the house to do damage control. I hook up the generator, make sure it's running ok, do any emergency repiars (I have a stock pile of 4x8 PT, garbage bags and rolls of thick black plastic, a bazillion rolls of duct tape, and a compressed air stapler and nailer...) I then spend about the next 4-6 hours doing damage assessment in my particular area. Then I head home. It's usually a 24 hour stint, and then 12 on and 12 off until the power is restored. Then I take a day and do my obligatory suffering from PTSD...

• Moderators

I was hoping we could call it off this year !

I will officially call it off, just for you!!! Wink

Thanks, the next time the winds get to 140 here we will just call it a bad day,and not say the H word ! [:|]

Ok Christy... Start worrying.... It's May 31st and we have TS Arthur..... 2005 Deja Vu.... started early and lasted forever; record season of all time....

TROPICAL STORM ARTHUR SPECIAL DISCUSSION NUMBER 1
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL012008
100 PM EDT SAT MAY 31 2008

THE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE LOCATED IN THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN
BECAME A TROPICAL STORM AS IT WAS CROSSING THE COAST OF BELIZE
EARLY THIS MORNING. THIS IS BASED ON SATELLITE IMAGERY...SHIP DATA
AND A NOAA BUOY 42056 WHICH REPORTED SUSTAINED WINDS OF TROPICAL
STORM FORCE. INITIAL INTENSITY IS SET AT 35 KNOTS BUT BECAUSE
ARTHUR IS ALREADY INLAND..WEAKENING IS ANTICIPATED. THERE IS A
POSSIBILITY THAT ARTHUR REGAIN TROPICAL STORM STATUS IF IT MOVES
BACK OVER WATER IN THE BAY OF CAMPECHE.

BEST ESTIMATE OF THE INITIAL MOTION IS 290/07. ARTHUR IS ALREADY