CD player with a volume control

wpines

Can you folks recommend some CD players with a volume control? I'd like to get one with a volume knob on the face but if there are good one's with remote only, that'll do. I want to input this directly into a tube amp that has no gain control.

The CD players with volume controls I've seen just control a range of gain, but will not go all the way to zero. It's not like a conventional volume control on an amplifier. Turned all the way down it is still producing some gain.

Adcom GCD-700 has volume control down goes down to zero for all pratical purposes. At -50 and the preamp all the way up I can not hear unless I am within a 1 foot of the speaker. 20 bit Pacific D/A's (Good rep) and 352.8 Hz oversampling. I would go with the single version GCD-750, has more connection options and better design options. Both can be had for less than $300 on audiogone best bang for the buck IMVHO.

Interested to hear from the CD experts on the forum to confirm or counter this position. How much can be gained by adding a D/A into the system?

Another option is to simply stay with the CD player you have and see if you can get by with a "passive" pre-amp. In its simplest for this is just a potentiometer. In more complex forms it can be a transformer circuit. There are caveats about the gain and relative of impedance of the source and load, so they do not always work well. You can make one yourself or you can see if there is an Adcom SLC (straight line controller - essentially a switch & a potentiometer) on eBay. These only cost about $50-75. I would also advise not spending a great deal of money on a passive "pre-amp", since the fancy parts may not make much of a difference. If you make one yourself the parts are quite inexpensive and the value of the pot can be matched to you configuration.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I have a Mcintosh 7007 that has two sets of outputs...one is variable out and the level is controlled by the knob on the front or the remote.

It is one sweet player....and really sounds great going directly into my Mac power amp.

It just happens to be for sale so PM me if interested.

My Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 has a volume control on the remote.

Jay

Have you tried running the CD player and using the volume instead of a preamp? I have been wondering about this for a long time but never bought one.

Does anyone know the minimum and maximum gain of CD players with volume controls?

FB, you've got pmail. Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking to run a CD player directly into a NOSValves VRDST powering Cornwalls. I've tried to run my Heart tubed CD6000 player into the amp but the noise is terrible. Buzz and hum. I like the McIntosh sound in general so this might be the player for me.

My Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 has a volume control on the remote.

Jay

Have you tried running the CD player and using the volume instead of a preamp? I have been wondering about this for a long time but never bought one.

Does anyone know the minimum and maximum gain of CD players with volume controls?

Seti,

I have been running CD direct for the past 6-7 yrs with outstanding success, I recently had a forum member insert a peach preamp in my system and I have to say I held my breath as I knew that if I liked what I heard I was going to be designing a line-stage for myself!

The peach is a very musical performer but not in the league of the best that I've heard. What I heard from the peach was very tubey bass lines and a very substantial reduction in transparency although it was very pleasant to listen to my standards are higher than what it was able to deliver me. Which didn't surprise me when you consider what the audio signal has to travel through! When my player Direct is connected virtually at the input tube of my amps. I also did not hear much in the way of extended dynamics. When my player was reinserted the bass lines were much more taught and controlled. But the transparency was so much greater as to really put a smile on my face.

I think I have the right conditions for CD direct to be successful and that is having a powerful player like my Sony X77ES which is very substantially well built at 37lbs. My players volume does go to zero although it is not remote controlled the resultant sound quality is high enough for me to get out of my chair to change it if need be.

Another key to success is to have a power amp with sufficient gain, my own SET amps have about 25db of gain that's about 500mv in for 10 watts out at an 8 ohm load most of my listening is upper 80db-low 90db levels that's 9:30-10:30 on my volume control and upper 90's at 12 o'clock my player can clip my SET amps at the 1-2 o'clock range. The volume control runs from 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock and the higher the control runs the lower the output impedance (12 o'clock is about 5k out) of course also one should use short interconnects although I use 2 meter ones with no apparent issues, my input impedance is 500k on my amps.

With the modifications that I've done to my Forte's and especially since I have added the Duelund capacitors to my mid-range of my outboard crossover networks the resultant sound quality has been just stellar for me.

As far as voltage out of players that are designed to drive direct there's really no limit to what they can do in contrast to a line stage. They can be designed to give as much gain as most line-stages, of the players I've seen 5-10 volts out is not uncommon and of course at a lower output impedance as well!

SET12