Do you like these custom Heresy speakers?

Greg,

How did you finish the face of the Heresy's? Same color as the tops and sides?

The fronts are black.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Since the responses have been mostly positive about the speakers as is, and I only have to find one buyer who likes them as is, I think I'll leave them and sell them as is. I'll already be making less than $10 an hour on them as is!

The constructive criticism was very good, and there are some great ideas there.

Greg

post-11090-13819374720084_thumb.jpg

Okay, one thought.

The facade on the H shown is very attactive and the black is a nice contrast to any hardwood side walls. One problem is that the side walls are not very visible in some settings. And the front is visible.

Maybe the facade effect can be appled in a reverse way to situations where people have decorator H or CWs or even LS with a black sidewalls or beat up birch.. It is kind of a shame that so much veneer is put on the sidewalls when the front is the main presentation.

Therefore, I'm suggesting a hardwood veneer facade (as with your H) with some nice, even cane,cloth. Then the sidewalls could be re-done in black.

Natrually, if someone has a veneered box which can be salvaged, I would not suggest a coat of black paint. Yet it is far easier to apply a good black paint to the sides of a beat up set, and add a hardwood front with a grill. You'd still have the nice contrast with effort spent on the front surface where it counts most.

Gil

ah,nothing like the traditional Klipsch 'billions upon millions' of staples.

I like the curve, the tilt, the angles of the frame. I think a more deco fabric would do them justice, but then that would be a more individual choice. Perhaps the modern/retro look of the frame might be complemented more with a smooth knit fabric. I'm with others in that they genuinely appeal to me, but there is something about the very clean look and then that chunky black Heritage grille cloth.

But don't go changing on my account.

And your shop floor is very groovy.

I think the workmenship of these speakers is great! - However, they don't hold a candle to your real wood veneers of the Cornwalls, Khorns and La Scalas you've built.

Someday, I will opt for something along the lines of the Rosewood La Scalas that you just showed on this forum !

Those look great.

I just finished a set of pine shelves I built in that Cherry Polyshades finish and I can vouch for it being a pain in the rear to apply evenly.

After building up a couple of coats it kinda evens out though.

They really do look great though and kind of remind me of the pic on the klipsch site when you search for cornwall.

stolen from PWK

Greg,

Congrats. Wow, they didn't last long.

As I was browsing the comments, I think Gil had a good idea. Some folks would enjoy a veneered grill board and black cabs.

Yes, I agree. I'm thinking about if for the next set of Heresy's. I've got birch, walnut, a heart birch which looks like cherry, and oak grills all started.

I've also got rosewood, but those are going on my Heresy's!

Greg

Yes. I think a wood frame could be built for the Cornwall, and it really would be like a Shorthorn. The original Shorthorn had a black painted piece behind the curved bottom that was part of the speaker cabinet, or a riser. If the wood frame were built to raise the front of the Cornwall like on these Heresys, a rear riser could be built to level them back out. Maybe even an adjustable foot so they could be slightly angled.

Greg

I can't believe the price what a great deal. Wow.

Well I guess I was kind of "price shy". I had the walnut Heresy's up on ebay four times and the last time at a paltry five hundred bucks and they still didn't sell. If you ask me, the walnut Heresy's were a lot nicer than the cherry stained ones.

Greg

post-11090-13819374832578_thumb.jpg

I can't believe the price what a great deal. Wow.

Well I guess I was kind of "price shy". I had the walnut Heresy's up on ebay four times and the last time at a paltry five hundred bucks and they still didn't sell. If you ask me, the walnut Heresy's were a lot nicer than the cherry stained ones.

Greg

I must say I am suprised they didn't sell. Your price seems very reasonable. It makes me wonder if they would sell faster on Audiogon.