Juicymusic Audio modified Crown D45

Deang

It's been a few months and just wanted to say that I give this amp my highest recommendation. If you're drooling over some very nice tube gear and can't drum up the dough or know it's going to be a couple of years or more before you can pull it off -- this thing will give you a very smooth ride while you wait. Unlike a lot of gear I've owned in the past, my appreciation for it has grown with use. I especially appreciate the grain free middle and upper registers, and the open/effortless quality. The amp leans towards the warm side, but not so much that you feel like it's blanketing detail. A truly remarkable quality of the amp is that you never catch yourself listening to the amp, which is something I can only say about a handful of pieces I've owned. The only negative things I can say about it is that there is a little bit of hum from the transformer and though it images very nicely -- it won't project the sound in 3D fashion like good tube gear does. However, this doesn't mean it's dimensionally flat, because it isn't. Some might balk at the 20 wpc, but it will seriously light up my room, and do it without causing fatique or "earwire". If you've been wondering if you should try one -- you should.

So what's different about it? Or is that a secret sauce kinda thing?

He changed some of the caps, swapped ICs to get the slew rate a bit faster, changed some resistors. This increased the input Z, so you could drive it with almost any tube preamp. Wish I had the money for one.

Bruce

Well, it would make one helluva horn amp if you're biamping.

Dean, which croosover are you using with the jub's & that D45?

I'm using the passive network designed by Roy.

How much where you paid for this review?

Mark sent me some scratch and dent pCats.

So what's different about it? Or is that a secret sauce kinda thing?

What Bruce (Marvel) said. He doubled the capacitance of the power supply, put in higher quality opamps, and upgraded some of caps in the signal path with higher quality electrolytics (Blackgates).

He doubled the capacitance of the power supply, put in higher quality opamps, and upgraded some of caps in the signal path with higher quality electrolytics (Blackgates).

Nice, a D-45 on steroids[:D] It's faster, it's sharper it's cleaner all the way around[H]

Kudo's Mark, making what some consider a great amp even greater[Y] It would be nice to have one like Dean's[:P]

Bruce - - Did you not build one from the parts list I sent to you?

I had to send my son on an orchestra tour in Europe in May. My budget is about shot and I'll be paying it off for a while as is. It is one of my MUST DO projects. I'll let you know when I get to it, and your time is greatly appreciated.

Bruce

The D45 sounds very good in it's stock form, much better than it should. I really liked it the way it was and had reservations about swapping it out for the modded one. It was the same kind of feeling I experienced back when I was trying to decide whether or not I should modify the networks in my RF-7's, and we all know the outcome of that little experiment.You make the change and it's like, "Yeesh, you gotta be kidding?!" On the surface, the physical and electrical changes seem so trivial, but the effect is tremendous.

The Black Gates are interesting, it's my first experience with them -- velvety smooth. I've been eyeing the AC versions for the last month and I'm really tempted to try them in my networks.