Frequency Response 23khz and above??

delhite2

i've just decoded that klipsch speakers (most of them) have frequency response of xxHz-23Khz whereas some other brands (as JBL es-100) support higher-wider frequencies example xxHz-40Khz.

is it that i'm losing on something (some critical or uncritical parts of audio), is 23khz and above all that relevant?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, I think it is irrelevant as I don't care what my cat or dog thinks about my sound. I can hear up to around 20kHz, and as I get older I will hear even less. Supposedly people around loud music or older folks will have a response of around 15kHz. I like that they only go to 23kHz as I don't want to think of the power from my amplifier going to these sounds I cannot hear.

[:)]

Forget the specifications...it's a numbers game and even an A/B comparison might produce misleading results. At frequencies above 20 KHz, the absorbtion of the air in the room, which includes the factor of humidity, comes into play.

There is an issue about "supersonic" response that is not widely known or discussed. One is that these frequencies, although they cannot be perceived in the usual way by the ear/brain system, can have an affect on listeners. the Japanese have done some interesting research in this area. This research and subjective experience-mine and others-leads me to belive that tweeters capable of response beyond the usual limits may irritate if they produce significant distortion at frequencies above the normal range of adult hearing.

Given two tweeters, one with FR 4-20kHz and one with 4-23kHz, which one would you expect to have a better waterfall plot?

There is no direct correlation between frequency response and the waterfall plot...

For example, what happens to the waterfall plot if you lowpass the 4-23kHz tweeter to be 4-20kHz?

I can only hear up to 28.5KHz @ 0dB down and I find there is very little musical information up there on most recordings.

OK I'm impressed

Me Too!

Klipschguy,

How old are you? With all due respect, and forgive me for asking this, ........28.5KHZ? Are you in the Guinness Book?

Woof

tc

I can only hear up to 28.5KHz @ 0dB down and I find there is very little musical information up there on most recordings.

OK I'm impressed

Me Too!

Klipschguy,

How old are you? With all due respect, and forgive me for asking this, ........28.5KHZ? Are you in the Guinness Book?

Woof

tc

This is a little embarassing. I can hear those high frequency sound bug repellent devices. They say they are inaudible but they drive me crazy. I can hear the damm things. These do not work as bug repellents but I can tell when one is plugged in.

There is no direct correlation between frequency response and the waterfall plot...

For example, what happens to the waterfall plot if you lowpass the 4-23kHz tweeter to be 4-20kHz?

I generate time-gates (4ms) MLS Impulse Response between 4kHz and 23kHz.

NO filters, A stand-alone tweeter is a minimum phase system so a straightfwd functional relationship betweem frequnecy response, phase and transient response exists. No computational artifacts associated with transformation from one domain to other (frequency to time). Filters cause EXCESS phase and complicate this.

From Impulse I generate frequency, phase and waterfall.

It's what CLIO, MLSSA, MATLAB and other measurement systems were created to do(?) I have CLIO here, I do it all the time.