Poll: Which veneer to choose for 1976 Cornwall's?

rcarlton

Poll to see which veneer is most preferred.

4_1.jpg

Bloodwood

4_3.jpg

Bubinga, quartered

5_5.jpg

Chestnut, wormed

5_8.jpg

Ebony, Macassar

7_5.jpg

Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry)

7_7.jpg

Lacewood

10_5.jpg

Maple, wormy

14_6.jpg

Rosewood

15_8.jpg

Walnut, quartered

16_6.jpg

Zebrawood

I
am also interested in other ideas. Keep in mind with a large job like
this I prefer the paperbacked veneer. Kind of limits the options. Now
if someone knows of some ancient Kurai that is paperbacked...hmm.

post-18740-13819381426524_thumb.jpg

post-18740-13819392840802_thumb.jpg

Doesn't matter what my decor is, or what matches my other speakers (which are oiled oak and walnut). I have no place for these speakers, with Cornwall's upstairs and K-horn's and LaScala's downstairs already. All I want to do is fix them up and sell them. Looking to see what the 'market' is interested in as far as finishes are concerned.

I just sold a pair in oak for $1225 on ebay! Not restored, just cleaned up, and with quite a few flaws. www.dcchomes.com/OC.html Much more than I was expecting.

But you'd think rosewood or zebrawood would bring even more.

Detail and finish quality, a succinct, accurate auction description, as well as good photography will have as much to do with the final price as any wood choice.

Greg

Here are some zebra's I did a few years ago.

post-11090-13819381453062_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819392866886_thumb.jpg

Doesn't matter what my decor is, or what matches my other speakers (which are oiled oak and walnut). I have no place for these speakers, with Cornwall's upstairs and K-horn's and LaScala's downstairs already. All I want to do is fix them up and sell them. Looking to see what the 'market' is interested in as far as finishes are concerned.

Keep track of all your costs and hours, and then figure out how much you make per hour doing the project.

I've found that I can only make $10 - $15 per hour on Cornwalls. $5 - $10 per hour on Heresy's. Maybe I'm just spending too much time on them.

Greg

Be the first with Mesquite Veneer. It is actually pretty.

http://www.texasmesquitelumber.com/main.htm

I have actually gotten to see many things made from Mesquite. I have a good friend back home (Laredo, Tx) who's pretty famous for his mesquite wood work. Mesquite has gorgeous, distinct grain structure. But it's difficult to get whole undamaged planks due to bore worms. However, I would assume a good veneer will be easier to find than solid planks.