Klipshorn too big for my room?

Nate3200

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and hope to get an opinion on running a pair of Klipshorn speakers side by side. I understand that usually they belong in the corners of a bigger room. The speakers match my decor but they are huge!

Also, are these speakers (Sound Reproducer Style U) a good match with Fisher 30-A monoblocks? Thanks for your help.

Posted Image

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, can't you find a larger room?, a basement? Something? A new house? With the k-horns that close together they are choking to death. But they will still work at tiny SPL's. And they must be in a corner or have corner extensions or the bass will be hugely missing. But anyway, welcome to the forum.

JJK

Khorns pretty much need corners, or false corners to get them to do their magic with bass.

There are folks that have pleasing results with false corners. Mr. Paul had one of his Khorns with a false corner on it, too.

I think the horns would do well with any decent tube amp.

groomlakearea51 has some Khorns set up in sort of an unconventional configuration. Some folks think it shouldn't sound good, but it does.

I
became curious and looked inside. From the outside the cabs look like a pair.
From the inside, there are different components. For instance, a Stephens True Sonic
woofer is in cab A and an EV woofer is in cab B. Also the horn arrangement is
different in each cab. Here are photos from cab A:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are photos of cab B. It has the same grill cloth and basic build as cab A, but no Klipschorn label and different components. The back of one pot reads 5635, 235611. Does this mean 1956? Can anyone help to solve this mystery?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nate3200,

Nice find!! Where are you from?? Matched sets were rare in this time frame, and more than likely someone bought a similar unit to what they already had, although due to the closeness of the match of this pair, it is quite possible that they have been roommates for a very long time. I would love to see more pictures of the drivers in both, especially mid and high frequencies, and their horn lenses. From the front grill cloth, it looks like the reflection of a T-350 tweeter in the one to the right from the black center and chrome surround of the lense. Alot more pictures would be highly appreciated,

Thanks.... Roger

On edge they are less than 2&1/2 ft wide! 2 strong guys can wrangle them through most doorways just protect all that wood on the face!

P.S. those side grills are removable on later models for moving

Roger, you have a good eye and are right about the EV 350. There is one in each cab. Also, everything in cab 2 is EV manufacture. Unfortunately my basement entrance is an old closet door (converted in the 1930s) which is too small for these speakers even with the top off. I may store them until there is a larger room available. Here

s some more photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Find a bunch of Klipsch guys near you and invite them over for a couple of beers. They will find a way to get those babies through that door.

JJK

Hang on...consider carefully. After a few beers, the 'horns will arrive at their proper places in good order may you may have a lot a 'splainin to do to the spouse about the condition of the rest of the house.

Dave

Nate3200,

So the one cabinet is a 4 way cofiguration, not a 3 way.. Is your second speaker a 4 way configuration as well?? How much coin did they set you back?? Those T-350s are alot more efficient then the T-35s, worth alot more as well. Has the 15W-K been reconed or not?? If it has the orriginal cone, the surround will have orangish red dope. The all black EV cones are replacements. It would be nice to sonically match the speaker you prefer of the two, but I would keep all the orriginal drivers if you change one out to match the other. Thanks for the pics!!!

Roger